SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a waterproof raincoat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a waterproof raincoat Login/Join 
posted
...for our trip to Iceland in August. It'll be more for rain and wind than cold. I don't want a short jacket but a coat that goes almost to my knees.

This one looks good on paper, although there are multiple comments about a flimsy zipper:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121905

Also looking at this:

https://www.landsend.com/produ...adium-coat/id_349335

Does anyone have these? Are there other options from different vendors?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I have one, bought it for dog walking (it rains a great deal in Pittsburgh). I have had it for 5 years and I am happy with it. Like any waterproof technology, if it's warm I sweat so sometimes it's a tradeoff. Iceland is likely a bit cooler than Pittsburgh so it may not be a problem.

As for the zipper, LL Bean went with small zippers on pretty much every jacket they make. I suspect some bean counter determined they can save $.02 per unit. That said there is no problem with the zipper, it's just small for those of us raised on big YKK zippers for outdoor gear.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Helly Hansen makes quality rain-gear.

If you are going to be active and possibly working up a sweat (hiking, etc.) then having a garment with waterproof/breathable material is going to be key (otherwise you will wind up just as wet from sweat).

The Mono Raincoat seems to be the length you are interested in.

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Take a long hard look at cowboy and Australian dusters. They're made for exactly the conditions you are looking at.

In years past I had several types ranging from an expensive oilskin number that was great layered or not, to a utilitarian yellow colored rubber coated cotton canvas job for mucking stalls in bad weather. LOL

Pictures: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dust...iax=images&ia=images

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
LL Bean went with small zippers on pretty much every jacket they make. I suspect some bean counter determined they can save $.02 per unit.

Not just any bean counter, but an LL Bean bean counter.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My bro and his neighbor went to Iceland in October...it was super cold and windy-45 to 55 mph winds all day and night. Very few places open du to missing the tourist season. But both of them loved it.

And EVERYTHING is super expensive. SUPER.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have Simms rain gear, which is amazing, but spendy. Here is what I have. You can get bibs to match. I bought them for fishing, but use the jacket as my primary rain coat.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/s.../challenger-jacket-7

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What do you plan on doing in Iceland? I ask because that can affect my recommendations. Hiking for the entire day vs getting out of the car for an hour here and there.

FWIW I've been to Iceland and it was an amazing trip. Incessantly beautiful views everywhere. At the top of my list of places, I've been and would go back to and spend more time there.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I’ve got Helly Hansen and Columbia rain gear.
I like the HH best but they’re both good.
It rains a lot here!

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Columbia rain gear.

I bought a Columbia 'Titanium' rain suit (separate top and bottom) about 10 years ago after getting drenched one day in my 'resistant Eddie Bauer weather jacket. The Columbia stuff has worked perfectly for me in any/every heavy rain situation since. Any. I hate to recommend Columbia now since obviously they are now ate up with stupid. Still, my experience was 100% positive. Good luck.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Columbia rain gear.

I bought a Columbia 'Titanium' rain suit (separate top and bottom) about 10 years ago after getting drenched one day in my 'resistant Eddie Bauer weather jacket. The Columbia stuff has worked perfectly for me in any/every heavy rain situation since. Any. I hate to recommend Columbia now since obviously they are now ate up with stupid. Still, my experience was 100% positive. Good luck.

I use the colombia top/bottom that’s lightweight and breathable and it works really well for me with wind driven salt water

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Helly Hansen has a strong following...but I'm NOT one of those water-on-the-brain sheep.

One of their products I had bought several years ago was a water-resistant winter shell. Kinda pricy I suppose, but I was making pretty good moola back then. However despite their supposedly stellar reputation for quality products, this jacket started to fall apart within the first three months of ownership...just from light daily use around town. No skiing. No hiking. No serious outdoors use. And certainly NO falls. No abuse whatsoever.

The material making up the lower section of the right sleeve had started to literally disintegrate (no other description fits better) before my eyes. It was clear that the material was bad; the sleeve was made up of two different pieces of Gore-Tex infused material (different colors); the burnt orange material for the lower sleeve was falling to bits, while the tan material making up the upper sleeve still looked new. H/H is known for backing their product so I think fine, I'll take it in to one of their stores and have them repair it. I take it in, show the persons on staff at the time the problem and they both agreed that it was a defect. They then suggested that since it was the middle of the cold season that I just continue to use the jacket until the weather improves. I think sure, that seems reasonable and do just that.

So a couple of months or so later the weather has become reasonably dry and I reason that it's time to get the shell fixed. So I take it back to the same shop and expect that we can go ahead and get the sleeve fixed.

Wrong.

Instead the girl who greets me (different person from the first two) accuses me of abusing the jacket and refused to take it in for repair, let alone honor any warranty that it may have had. This is the moment the fireworks ensue. I point out to her that the lower material was falling apart right up to the seam between lower and upper sections of the sleeve, yet just on the other of the seam there was none of this so-called "abuse from damage" whatsoever. That material was perfectly intact. If I fell or scraped the sleeve, certainly BOTH sections would have shown damage. Of course she and proper reasoning clearly didn't get along with one another. Ultimately I finally point out to her that I was in several months before and the persons at that time agreed that it was defective then, then said that I could continue to use the jacket until the weather got better, and I accepted their offer. This current employee finally considered that, then as a comeback blurted out some BS about having the jacket washed FIRST before they would take it in for repair. Wait...first you say you won't repair it at all, then change your tune to say that it must be washed before you'll receive it for repair? Well fuck you too, bitch, which is what I pretty much said to her.

Pissed as I was, I demanded her name, to which I also tell her that her company is going to hear about the utter lack of quality or even sensible customer service that she provides at this location. Naturally she refuses to give her name up, so in the end I leave with my mostly waterproof shell with the tattered sleeve (the UN-waterproof part). And ultimately I wrote off that jacket, since me and life were quite busy then and I didn't need any further annoyance or aggravation. I did write a letter to H/H's corporate folks, for all the good it did. They never bothered to follow up, but instead put me on a new product mailing list. Those blithely oblivious, arrogant motherfuckers...

Naturally I haven't been back to H/H since. Maybe 25ish years or so. And it's just as well, since then I've yet to have another kind word to say about them. I did get some amount of satisfaction a 12-15 years back when they shut down that particular retail store. Sometimes bad karma has particular positives.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I don't have a suggestion for a "to the knees" raincoat but I will recommend the Arcteryx Alpha SV to you.

It is both breathable and WATERPROOF as well as being tough as nails.

My first I had for 12 years before I noticed the elastic in the cuffs was coming undone. I figured it was 12 years old and I was due for another so I bought another. During the purchase I mentioned it was my second. The sales guy asked if I had given the first one away. When I told him I had not done anything with it he told me that Arcteryx has a lifetime guarantee.

I contacted Arcteryx and paid $12 to ship it to them. They sent me a repair order number and told me it would be 6-8 weeks before I heard anything.

Two weeks later they emailed me a confirmation that the repairs were underway and were covered by the warrantee. They said repairs could take up to 6 weeks and I'd be sent a shipping confirmation when it was on its way home.

Three weeks later I got the confirmation and 4 days after that I opened the package and looked at my jacket. It was like brand new. I had to examine it minutely to determine it was my original jacket.

The jacket is long enough to cover my waist; it hangs down to about my fingertips when my hands are at my sides and I have done everything in it. Back country skiing, hiking, traipsing around Canada and Europe, you name it.

The jacket itself is a thin shell that shrugs off wind and rain but needs layering underneath depending on temperature. It breathes amazingly so I stay dry even when working hard in adverse conditions.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need a waterproof raincoat

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I specified "waterproof" as I've seen some that are water "repellant" and "resistant." I think waterproof is superior to the others, I know SF members will set me straight if not.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Not to your knees, but I have worn this Dri-Duck for two years now and it works great watching football games in the rain. Water Resistant though.

https://www.wingsupply.com/hun...k-jacket-garnet.html
Dri Duck Dri Pack Jacket - Garnet
4.0 oz., 100% mini-ripstop polyester with mesh lining. Water-resistant. 3M reflective piping and logo detail. Reverse-welt outer pockets. Inside pocket. Packs into back zipper pouch.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Army surplus poncho.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my pursuit of waterfowl, I spent quite a bit of time in inclement weather. Our temperatures aren’t Terribly cold so layers seem to work best. I have found A Kuiu Yukon to be just what I need. https://www.kuiu.com/yukon-rai...=jacket-rain#start=2

It comes in colors other than camouflage, and is very durable. It isn’t cheap, but is very high quality.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I specified "waterproof" as I've seen some that are water "repellant" and "resistant." I think waterproof is superior to the others, I know SF members will set me straight if not.

Waterproof means it'll seal out moisture penetration for X number of hours or, amount of pressure...depends on the measurement being used. In CA, waterproof needs to meet 10,000mm pressure on the Mullens test. Water resistant/repellant are merely marketing words for NOT WATERPROOF; that item is about as good as a coffee filter so, buyer beware.
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
...for our trip to Iceland in August. It'll be more for rain and wind than cold. I don't want a short jacket but a coat that goes almost to my knees.

This one looks good on paper, although there are multiple comments about a flimsy zipper:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121905

This is fine. You're traveling, your needs are something to block the rain and packability. I can recommend a broad range of waterproof/breathable garments but, a longer coat-style in the Spring is hard to come by, as they are usually made avialable in the Fall/Winter. If you'd like something with a bit more style, this isn't too bad.
Longer coats in-general are heavier & cumbersome, they're burden due to the amount of material, however that LL Bean model is a 2.5 construction which eliminates the hanging liner that similar models would normally have, thus its suited for travel and a step-up from a cheap polyurethane coat or, plastic coat. Personally, I'd go with a waterproof jacket/pant combo but, we all have our preferences.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Barbour Beaufort with a hood. Classic styling, as well.

Or I really like REI's CoOp line. Great gear and great value.

Arcteryx if you're a buy one cry once kind of guy. They make fantastic stuff.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post