SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a waterproof raincoat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a waterproof raincoat Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My “all weather parka” I was issued in the service is goretex and completely waterproof. You could pick one up in an army/navy store....mine was $300 with the liner, but they have gone up since 2005. The company also made bottoms. Company is Propper, they were the sole provider for the USCG...what’s nice is that it is navy blue and doesn’t look military.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go with my first choice from LL Bean.

Our trip is in early August, I'll provide a short "My trip to Iceland in an LL Bean Trail Model Rain Coat" report.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Lava repellant spray for that raincoat might be needed as well.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, I'd go with a waterproof jacket/pant combo but, we all have our preferences.

This is what I recommend.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
At work we use the Helly Hanssen rain wear. It works well but I will tell you from experience, get the longest one you can if you want to be dry. I wear one that goes down to my calves, but I end up being dry under the coat and everything else is drenched. It kind of defeats the purpose to have part of you soaked with water and part dry.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that LL Bean gave me 10% off as a veteran. I did not see the link until after I had placed my order, but they credited my cc.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/517432

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Some very good recommendations provided. I have / use a Sierra Designs Pack Trench Rain Jacket.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have the Bean rain jacket in tall. The hem is about at the bottom of my jean pockets. My wife has the coat which covers her knees. Both store in their own pocket which can be very handy. My only complaint? is that the visor on the hood is not big enough to keep rain off of my glasses. Wearing a baseball cap under the hood helps. We have had ours for years and haven't wrecked them yet.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post