SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SF chefs are you using a prep station and if so what is it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SF chefs are you using a prep station and if so what is it? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Station? No.

Just a cutting board, knives, and various containers.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
I like Melissa's idea for simplicity. I use a cutting board with a bowl cut out so I can just scrape it on a plate or bowl.

That is a seriously impressive Cutting Board! Please share some details....And where can I get one? Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8920 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Primary prep area. I have another smaller cutting board next to the sink.

Michigan Maple* cutting board 20" x 15" x 3.5" 29lbs. It sits on four 3"x3"x7/8" anti-vibration pads I got from SupplyHouse.com.

The jar of "glop" to the far right is my DIY mixture of food grade mineral oil and beeswax used on the cutting board. Smile

And note a food scraper immediately to the right of the board. Works for me! Big Grin

* https://www.butcherblock.com/p...grain-counter-block/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is a seriously impressive Cutting Board! Please share some details....And where can I get one? Cool

"Teak Cutting Board - Rectangle Carving Board With Hand Grip And Bowl Cut Out (20 x 14 x 2.5 in.) - By Teakhaus (Renewed)"

I got this on amazon but it doesn't look like it's available anymore. Price was $91.36. Sorry for the delayed reponse.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I think the thing that makes prep the easiest is having a big cutting board and your knives close at hand, near the kitchen sink, and then nearby access to the trash. I find my most frequent moves are to the sink to wash something, and then to the trash to discard peels, waste bits, etc.

I also think that there's no such thing as too big of a cutting board.

My kitchen knives live in a big knife block next to the cutting board. 19 times out of 20, the knife I want is the 8" chef's, but it's nice to not have to do anything but grab whatever I need from within arm's reach.

Some prep bowls, a peeler, and a bench-scraper are almost always handy, too.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post