SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stay alert at your range- bolt gun accident Temple Tx
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stay alert at your range- bolt gun accident Temple Tx Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw a picture once - it may have been here - of a rifle fired with a bore sighter still in the barrel. The barrel peeled open like one would a banana.

^Yes, that's a fairly famous picture...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16435 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least he gets that leupold fixed.

Posts: 4824 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
*ouch* Frown

I'd mistakenly loaded my .40 S&W pistol with 9mm.

This also happened at a CCW class I had a few years ago. Two guys had Springfield XDs (.40/9mm) and the 40 guy accidentally grabbed the 9mm guy's mag during the reloading break.

The gun was basically a single-shot and bulged the brass like a margarita glass.

Posts: 7429 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:
*ouch* Frown

This also happened at a CCW class I had a few years ago. Two guys had Springfield XDs (.40/9mm) and the 40 guy accidentally grabbed the 9mm guy's mag during the reloading break.

The gun was basically a single-shot and bulged the brass like a margarita glass.

I did this once about 20yrs ago when I had a P220 and another SIG in .40, accidently shot a .40 out of a .45 if I recall correctly. Case bulged and split slightly and didn't eject. I could tell something didn't shoot right, but its been too long to remember the details. Never again have I made that mistake.

On someone's comment about the Arisaka. I recently bought one at an estate auction. Found me some 7.7 Jap, put it in a Lead Sled figured out a way to pull that trigger from waaaaay far back and away. Good to go....ok.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of various chamberings now, in part thanks to my milsurp collecting son. This is with rifles and handguns.

I make a special effort to make sure the correct ammo goes in the proper gun. I can see how it could happen with certain mixups.

Then you may have certain ammo for different guns of the same chambering, the 45-70 trapdoor verses the modern lever-action.

Posts: 6219 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Anyone else bothered by the fact that the range does/did not have a first aid kit readily available??
I have been to quite a few ranges in many different states both public and private. I can think of 1 range that did not have a first aid kit was a public range in the middle of nowhere.

A couple of them had really nice kits at the emergency phone and the GPS Coordinates to the closest safe helicopter LZ.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25497 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Savage 110 to me. Not that it matters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10514 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
How about a short cased cartridge in a long case receiver. Say 308 Win. in a 7mm Rem Mag?

The bloods splatters on the concrete shooting station really drive the diligence point home for me.

And one with a bigger diameter bullet. It would be interesting to know what the mismatch was. Carter's Country range in Spring, Texas has a display of a rifle that got blown up that way, but I forget which cartridge was jammed into the wrong chamber. It might have been a .308 round chambered in a 25-06 rifle, which is possible. Clearly a .308 bullet will not travel down a .25 caliber bore. That gun wasn't as badly blown up as this one, but it still makes the point.

I saw 9mm fired in a .40 several times by mistake in my IDPA range officer days. The extractor often holds them firmly enough to fire. The case sometimes splits, but pressures aren't high enough to do much damage, as the bullet bangs its way down the barrel. No harm, but don't do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53134 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
And one with a bigger diameter bullet.

That’s what I was trying to say by picking 308 and 7mm. Your example is better because the case heads are the same size so the primer would be properly aligned with the firing pin. Assuming the case head was seated against the bolt face with enough pressure to allow the firing pin to strike and ignite the primer, that’s when the excitement starts.

Looking at the spent case and unreadable box of Barnes Vortex, I’m guessing 25-06.

Posts: 11132 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone else bothered by the fact that the range does/did not have a first aid kit readily available??

That's why I have a IFAK kit on my range bag. As a firearms instructor and a Hunter-Ed instructor, these kits might save a life (or two).
I also have one in my daily work bag, in case someone gets shot and tourniquets need to be applied.

Posts: 3400 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I cant speak about bolt guns, but with pistols you'll see 9mm in a .40S&W or .300BO in a .223/5.56 AR.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
quote:

That's why I have a IFAK kit on my range bag. As a firearms instructor and a Hunter-Ed instructor, these kits might save a life (or two).
I also have one in my daily work bag, in case someone gets shot and tourniquets need to be applied.

Same here. I'd rather not rely on somebody elses' kit...I know what's in mine and where stuff is.

quote:
Once I loaded a 308 in a 270 Ruger 77. The 308 was hand loaded with a round nose 180gr seated out to match my 308 chamber. The 270 fired & the bolt was frozen shut. After I got the bolt open I had a gunsmith check the chamber & all was OK. I never again had more than one caliber ammo on my bench.

Holy crap...that's pretty much exactly the sort of thing that I'd expect would cause what we're seeing here Eek. That must have been one tough rifle...did the bullet clear the barrel or did you have to pound it out?

Posts: 8755 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted August 30, 2022 12:55 PM
A friend of mine who shoots there sent me this, happened this past Sunday. If its been posted ill delete it. Be careful gentlemen.

I have unashamedly stolen this post for three other US-based fora on which I have written for years. I will give full credit.

Posts: 11365 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Looks like he was bleeding heavily. Look at the size of the drops.

That had to be nasty. Hope the range or someone close by had a med kit.

The statement from the range in the OP reports that the explosion amputated his trigger finger, which does tend to cause heavy bleeding...

It also stated that another member that was present had a first aid kit.

Posts: 32621 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

This happens every couple years at the police academy where I teach, despite it being hammered into the cadets' heads to check their ammo when loading their magazines, and the calibers being segregated on different tables in the loading area. (We necessarily have multiple calibers available, since the classes consist of an amalgamation of cadets from various different agencies.)

Inevitably, every several classes, a cadet with a .40 handgun will end up grabbing a box of 9mm. 9mm loads and fires just fine in a .40 Glock, but typically doesn't fully eject or fully cycle the slide. So it becomes apparent within the first string of fire, when you end up with a cadet who's having to tap-rack after every shot.

Interestingly, it's usually not during the first several boxes, like you might think. So it's not like a cadet starts off just not knowing what caliber their handgun is... These cadets have been knowingly loading .40 ammo into their .40 handgun several times in a row, before they end up getting complacent/inattentive and loading a box of 9mm into their .40 handgun.

Luckily, .40 and .45 won't load or fire in a 9mm, so we don't have to worry about catastrophic mistakes like that. And everything with rifles and shotguns involves single calibers, so no mixup worries there.

Posts: 32621 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Any more information on the gun and ammunition? I'm trying to identify the receiver.

I have eliminated Savage as there is no barrel nut, it's a threaded barrel with shoulder, and Winchester 70 because the recoil lug is integral to the receiver.

I don't think it's a Ruger 77 as there is no evidence of a Mauser style extractor, the recoil lug is integral to the receiver, and the bolt handle appears to be straight, where Ruger's is a twisty thing.

It's not a Tikka, they are magazine fed, and the bolt lugs are wrong, and I don't think it's either a Browning X-bolt or A-bolt as there's no evidence of a bolt shroud. Of course the shroud could have left for parts unknown...

It looks a lot like a Remington 700, except for the black band on the bolt about half an inch behind the front locking lugs, which could be for a Mauser style extractor which has left the building, but nothing else about he action says "Mauser".

There does not seem to have been a metal magazine inside the stock, rather the stock sides appear to be the magazine with a bottom plate, spring and follower.

The wood appears too nice to be from one of the new generation of "affordable" rifles, such as a Ruger American or Winchester XPR, etc.

The case looks like it could be a belted magnum, and I'm guessing that the case that is visible is NOT the KaBOOM case, as it appears to have no damage.

Any thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12815 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ The gun club hasn’t sent any other info out to members.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11344 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Any thoughts?

I’m stumped. Someone took the time to pillar bed the action and like you said the wood looks decent, so it doesn’t seem like a value priced firearm. The thing seems like the biggest clue is that the trigger group is completely covered. The cover seems to be one piece with the trigger guard floor plate assembly. Other than that, I think I can see two holes in the front part of the receiver where it was drilled and tapped for the scope mount. That eliminates the Rugers with integral dovetails.

Posts: 11132 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just saw an unconfirmed report that it was a .308 Winchester round in a 25-06 (I'm assuming the poster meant 25-06, not 26-06)...

quote:
Found out tonight what happened. Apparently it was a new rifle to him and he for some reason did not know the caliber. .308 win fit the bolt and chambered. Rifle turned out to be a 26-06 caliber.
Guessing at an unknown chambering is NOT a good idea. ESPECIALLY when the bore diameters don't match.

Texas Gun Talk

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16435 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.

Know what ammunition your gun takes and ensure that you’re loading only the correct kind in your gun are just two of the many firearms safety rules that we shooters should know and observe. But if we only ever hear of “the four,” unfortunate accidents like this occur.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47454 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post