SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stay alert at your range- bolt gun accident Temple Tx
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stay alert at your range- bolt gun accident Temple Tx Login/Join 
posted
A friend of mine who shoots there sent me this, happened this past Sunday. If its been posted ill delete it. Be careful gentlemen.

Posts: 3601 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Very tragic. Any word on the rifle's caliber and what actually got loaded into it?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16396 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Not being much of a rifle guy, I’m wondering what round would have fit in the chamber, that would be so overpowered, that it would cause that kind of damage?

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I could see it happening with two different caliber bullets, with both cartridges using the same parent case.
Jam the larger caliber in, causing severe bullet setback with no possible escape.
But I would think you would feel that in the increased amount of resistance in closing the bolt.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16537 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How about a short cased cartridge in a long case receiver. Say 308 Win. in a 7mm Rem Mag?

The bloods splatters on the concrete shooting station really drive the diligence point home for me.

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yep. Doesn’t have to be a more powerful round than what it was chambered for.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Just dropped off my old Arisaka, which I suspect my grandfather had bored out to .30-06, with a gunsmith last week to get a chamber casting. Still not sure if I'll shoot it.

Posts: 3563 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Damn! Eek

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once I loaded a 308 in a 270 Ruger 77. The 308 was hand loaded with a round nose 180gr seated out to match my 308 chamber. The 270 fired & the bolt was frozen shut. After I got the bolt open I had a gunsmith check the chamber & all was OK. I never again had more than one caliber ammo on my bench.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4284 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That’s my club. No mention of the caliber goof.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There’s only 1 box of ammo on the table and I can’t make out the box end details.

Same with the empty shell case, I don’t recognize what it might be.

I’m wondering if it might have been a squib, despite the wrong caliber sentence.

My sympathies to the guy, I hope he recovers well, physically and mentally.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Yep. Doesn’t have to be a more powerful round than what it was chambered for.

This is correct. Just has to be too big for the chamber or a tad too long for the chamber, things like that.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks to be a box of Barnes. Can’t make out anything other than that

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 496 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What rifle is that? Trigger guard floor plate assembly appears to have an integral cover for the trigger mechanism.

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What rifle is WAS that?

FIFY, BTW, shooter is lucky to have lived.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Knew a guy, and present, when he loaded a 308 round into an 03-A3 (30-06) and fired the round. He noticed when extracting the round and finding it was now a straight case.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What rifle is that? Trigger guard floor plate assembly appears to have an integral cover for the trigger mechanism.

It looks like a Remington 700 to me judging by the bolt and stock.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
*ouch* Frown

I made that mistake once. Luckily, for me, the only damage was to my ego.

I'd been shooting .40 S&W. My buddy let me try whatever 9mm he was shooting. I used my own 9mm ammo.

Both were WWB.

I went back to my pistol, loaded a mag, chambered, aimed, pulled trigger, it felt a little soft and I completely missed the target. "Eh?"

Went to pull the trigger again. Wouldn't budge. "Eh?"

Slide wasn't in battery. "Eh?"

I'd mistakenly loaded my .40 S&W pistol with 9mm.

Since then there's never been two different caliber rounds on my shooting bench at the same time. Not even center-fire and rim-fire or pistol and rifle.

I still have that bulged 9mm case somewhere around here as a reminder.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like he was bleeding heavily. Look at the size of the drops.

That had to be nasty. Hope the range or someone close by had a med kit.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1533 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd mistakenly loaded my .40 S&W pistol with 9mm.

Under slightly different circumstances, I saw that happen at a range. It was a rental gun in .40. Per range policy, being a rental, the shooter had to use the range's ammo. Somehow both the shooter and the store employee missed that the gun was .40, and he was sold 9mm.

I saw a picture once - it may have been here - of a rifle fired with a bore sighter still in the barrel. The barrel peeled open like one would a banana.

Posts: 28013 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post