SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LED replacement headlights?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED replacement headlights? Login/Join 
posted
One of my headlights are out and I thought about replacing with an LED H13 replacement. Anyone have good experience with a given brand of LED conversion/replacement head lamps? I've read a lot of them cause issues with radio static due to poor driver design, but haven't found a 'list' that has the good bulbs (if there are any). Thanks,

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1751 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Skip the LEDs. The conversion kits just aren’t there yet.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25486 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
Carid.com lifetime warranty and comes with the decoder if needed

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee40215:
Carid.com lifetime warranty and comes with the decoder if needed

Don't bother it's just a crummy commercial for ovaltine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20900 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Unless you're replacing the entire headlight with a properly designed LED one - don't bother. LED's have their place in the world but a replacement headlight bulb is not one of them.

Get some Philips X-treme Vision halogen bulbs.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2277 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I tried LED taillights. Supposedly brighter. Not so. Also messed up the current draw so bad that the computer thinks one of my bulbs must be out, so the bulbs blink 2X as quickly. I put the standard Edisonian filament bulbs back in. I also use the Xtravision or whatever the topline bulb is for headlights. There was a $10 off rebate and I had a coupon for $20 off anything over $50, so I ended up paying like $25 for $60 of bulbs. No need for LED.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5118 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I use the units from Xenon Depot with great results.

Posts: 5763 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I bought some of the H4 Phillips Ultinon LEds from Xenon Depot for my 1998 4runner and they are much better! The stock headlights, even with the X-treme Vision halogens, were terrible. The Phillips LEDs have a good shield on the low beam so they don't blind oncoming traffic and the light output is wayyyy better than stock.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sylvania ZXE, HID Attitude - XENON Fueled

Posts: 10057 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I tried LED taillights. Supposedly brighter. Not so. Also messed up the current draw so bad that the computer thinks one of my bulbs must be out, so the bulbs blink 2X as quickly. I put the standard Edisonian filament bulbs back in. I also use the Xtravision or whatever the topline bulb is for headlights. There was a $10 off rebate and I had a coupon for $20 off anything over $50, so I ended up paying like $25 for $60 of bulbs. No need for LED.

They usually won't work right unless you add a resistor.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
If you go for it, +1 for buying from Xenon Depot. Those guys are passionate about replacement bulbs and kits. Their customer support is top notch and thy take it personally if something doesn’t work right. They were one of the first aftermarket vendors to really dig in to the KL Jeep Cherokees and offer OEM alternatives. They kind of have a big presence @ Jeep Cherokee Club (.com) and I imagine other sites as well. We like them.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16278 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Unless you're replacing the entire headlight with a properly designed LED one - don't bother. LED's have their place in the world but a replacement headlight bulb is not one of them.

Get some Philips X-treme Vision halogen bulbs.

+1

I had my 2017 Ram 2500 about two weeks before driving it after dark, and the OEM headlights were so bad that I literally pulled over to the side of the road at some point and got out of the truck to see if one of them was burned out or whatever. After a lot of research I replaced the OEM bulbs with Philips X-tremes, and am very satisfied. I did them in the driveway on a sunny morning, after replacing the first one walked back about 20-30 yards, and even in the sunlight could clearly see the difference. In the process I did research LED replacements as well, and, particularly given all of the things that could potentially go wrong with wiring, etc., there is no way I would make that conversion at this point in time.

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put 9006 Silver Stars in my 2007 Accord, Big improvement.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
See if Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs are available for your vehicle. Good company, American made in STL, stand behind their products. I have them in my 2016 Crosstrek.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
I use the units from Xenon Depot with great results.

I use Xenon Depot LED headlights as well. They are a big improvement over my stock lights and look better as well.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
Yep, I bought some of the H4 Phillips Ultinon LEds from Xenon Depot for my 1998 4runner and they are much better! The stock headlights, even with the X-treme Vision halogens, were terrible. The Phillips LEDs have a good shield on the low beam so they don't blind oncoming traffic and the light output is wayyyy better than stock.

I got the Phillips Ultinon LED from Xenon Dept and im pretty happy with them. Watch for promo codes and I got mine for $170 bucks.

Posts: 5435 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think one of the biggest problems is that some cars can have aftermarket LED/HID systems installed and be satisfactory. Cars with projection lenses seem to have the best results from my experience.

The real problem is that many cars/trucks perform poorly with aftermarket LED/HID bulbs. You know the ones I'm talking about, BLINDING.

If you are planning on changing to LED/HID check out forums for your vehicle. There is usually a thread with a lot of good pro/con discussion.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post