SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Semi drags car for miles on I-15 in California
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi drags car for miles on I-15 in California Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
Now I have driven truck in my younger days.

I suppose this could really happen.
Let’s analyses.

Especially going up a hill loaded which puts you at a low rate of speed.

The fact he was pulling double trailers also adds to the fact you will not know what the rear trailer is doing unless you look in the mirror. It could in reality flip over and you would never know it.

If you notice the truck appears to be in a mild turn to the right which would also put the left rear corner of the rear trailer out of view in the driver’s mirror.

I bet the car driver needed a change of clothes. Bottoms probably soiled and tops full of sweat.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I dunno, from the video you can see the semi's drive side mirror, it looks like from that angle he should've been able to see the car he was dragging.

What I want to know is how the car got hitched up to the trailer.

Posts: 10192 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ok, I laughed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the car driver must have done something pretty stupid to get himself in that position. The truck driver was driving by pyro and focused on EGTs? i don't know what the hell he was doing.

i laughed too.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
His horn didn't work?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The guy that shot the vid says the car was dragged for four miles but the CHP disagreed and said it was 3/4 of a mile.

No citations were issued to the driver of the truck and after an on scene investigation, he was allowed to drive away.

Posts: 4249 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
the car driver must have done something pretty stupid to get himself in that position. The truck driver was driving by pyro and focused on EGTs? i don't know what the hell he was doing.

i laughed too.

probably texting and driving, drifted over into the drivers lane and the front end of the maxima caught the back of the truckers back tire, pulling the car off the ground. that's all I can figure.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Instead of doing the simple Google thing that would save us all from wild speculation, unsupported by any version of what happened, we list things that didn't happen, aren't even close to what happened and it lowers the thread IQ as a result.

The driver of the truck was carrying 50k lbs. of carrots up the hill. He pulled into the next lane over to pass a slower truck in front of him. The lane he moved into was where the driver of the Maxima was already at. The truck driver hit him, caught him and you see the video result.

No texting, no drifting. The facts are pretty boring.

What happened from the regional newspaper

Posts: 4249 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I believe it. A number of years ago a guy in a powered wheel chair was crossing the street in front of a tractor trailer at a light on a rural highway. The driver didn't see him and when the light turned green took off lodging the chair in the grill. People started calling 911 reporting it but they were having trouble finding the truck until it drove by an MSP Trooper sitting at a light looking. She told my buddy that she was looking for it, saw it with her own eyes, and still sat there stunned for a moment. It took her a few miles to catch up and get him stopped.

No injuries to the guy in the wheel chair, in fact the company who made it gave him a new one, and the one that took the ride is on display in their corporate HQ

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/1908...h-ride/#.WP-873IpBJ8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rightwire,

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Instead of doing the simple Google thing that would save us all from wild speculation, unsupported by any version of what happened, we list things that didn't happen, aren't even close to what happened and it lowers the thread IQ as a result.

The driver of the truck was carrying 50k lbs. of carrots up the hill. He pulled into the next lane over to pass a slower truck in front of him. The lane he moved into was where the driver of the Maxima was already at. The truck driver hit him, caught him and you see the video result.

"wild speculation" Roll Eyes

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

Your prior thread said texting and driving - no texting by either party was suspected in the article and if the video is your sole source of facts, I have no idea where texting and driving came from.

Your prior thread said drifting - nothing suggests that. The move into the lane by the truck driver was deliberate and intentional.

Your prior thread said front end of the maxima caught the back of the trucker's back tire - nothing in the article said the Maxima changed lanes into the truck.

It wasn't speculation as it was a wild ass guess not based on one single fact.

Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
And that, my friends, is why I warn people not to hang out in the "no zone" or change lanes from the far left to the middle while next to a truck.

Also, tailgrabbing the truck, and changing lanes quickly to scoot around could lend a hand in this happening.

Just because the car was "already there" doesn't mean he WAS there when the truck had already committed to the lane change.

Sure, it could have been, but I've seen many close calls caused be cars changing spots into the truck's blind spot.

http://www.dps.gov.mp/downloads/nozone-brochure.pdf

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
i am pretty sure it is Mike Lowrie Trucking out of Dixon CA,

Look at these pictures.
Click on the picture of the line of trucks and it will zoom in.

Look at the company name.

They do a lot of seasonal harvest hauling.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv...YKHa_XAE0QoioIsAEwDg

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

Your prior thread said texting and driving - no texting by either party was suspected in the article and if the video is your sole source of facts, I have no idea where texting and driving came from.

Your prior thread said drifting - nothing suggests that. The move into the lane by the truck driver was deliberate and intentional.

Your prior thread said front end of the maxima caught the back of the trucker's back tire - nothing in the article said the Maxima changed lanes into the truck.

It wasn't speculation as it was a wild ass guess not based on one single fact.

and none of that is wild speculations, reasonable speculation maybe. And the front of the maxima DID catch the back tire, how else would it get jammed up above it and kept there.

├┼┼╕
246R

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
californians, dude.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Been up that stupid hill Cajon Pass hundreds of times, right lane you have trucks crawling 15-25 mph and you have trucks that are a little faster 20-35 passing them. So the truck probably pulled in front of the car passing slower traffic and the car doing 55mph or faster hit the truck. Since the trucker did not notice the car I would guess he probably does not have a good habit of watching his mirrors. Whose at fault hard to say. Car could have smacked rear of trailer too. Even pulling doubles thats visible from cab.

Posts: 3776 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
Been up that stupid hill Cajon Pass hundreds of times, right lane you have trucks crawling 15-25 mph and you have trucks that are a little faster 20-35 passing them. So the truck probably pulled in front of the car passing slower traffic and the car doing 55mph or faster hit the truck. Since the trucker did not notice the car I would guess he probably does not have a good habit of watching his mirrors. Whose at fault hard to say. Car could have smacked rear of trailer too. Even pulling doubles thats visible from cab.

Been up that stretch of road many times and the only part missing from the above is mention of those vehicles doing 80 mph in the No. 1 lane.

Oh and on the way down - well lets just refer to that as "The Cajon Pass Speedway."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14147 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Been up that stretch of road many times and the only part missing from the above is mention of those vehicles doing 80 mph in the No. 1 lane.

Oh and on the way down - well lets just refer to that as "The Cajon Pass Speedway."

You are right about Nr1 lane but CHP will bust your butt if you leave the the two right lanes in a commercial vehicle. You still get cars zig zagging thru all the lanes even though the two right ones are full of trucks.

Posts: 3776 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the driver I'm sure wasn't paying attention at all.

Whenever I'm driving up Parley's Pass in Utah on I-80, I'm always tuned into what the trucks are doing. I anticipate what I think the trucker may want to do. If I see one truck closing in on another that is going slower than him, I assume he will not want to lose momentum, and I move over early. It's a courtesy thing, and it goes both ways. I watch other drivers all the time not care a wit what other drivers are doing and just la dee da in their own lane because "why should I be bothered to move over when I don't have to." They expect the trucker to slow down and stay in his current lane because they can't be bothered. On an incline like some of these passes have, losing that little bit of momentum is a killer.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good times. Yes, Mike Lowrie trucking is out of Dixon.

The lesson here is never, never, never drive in a truck's blind spot. Pass with great haste!

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post