SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U .S.S. The Sullivan's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U .S.S. The Sullivan's Login/Join 
posted
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...he_Sullivans_(DDG-68)

https://www.google.com/search?...SgA&biw=1173&bih=795

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCUhewYdP18

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Nice looking ship. I see it's named for the 5 brothers who died in WWII.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was little I had a model of the WWII destroyer The Sullivans, nice to see someone remembered to name a ship after some real heroes.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
That is such a majestic sight, a war ship under power, so cool, especially that is is named after the Sullivans.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’ve toured the original The Sullivans destroyer in Buffalo several times.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...he_Sullivans_(DD-537)

When I was 13, I went on my last tour of it and it was unguided, you just had to follow the yellow stripe through the ship. I was the only one in the whole naval park besides my grandmother who was waiting for me on the dock. Being 13 and unsupervised, I, uh... I made a number of detours. I wound up in the engine room and got lost for a bit. Let’s just say I was in complete awe at the scale of what I was looking at. I felt like an insect inside a V8, in terms of scale. Luckily I managed to find the yellow brick road and guide myself out. Quite an impressive ship.

At the time, there were two other WWII veteran museum ships in Buffalo harbor, the cruiser USS Little Rock and a submarine, the USS Croaker . Not sure if they’re still there, but they are worth the tour and there’s a nearby monument to the local men who gave their lives in WWII. My grandfather, a WWII Navy vet who served on a liberty ship while in the Atlantic lived out his final years in the apartment buildings abutting the park. I think it was quite deliberate that he had a bedroom window that looked down at those vessels.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
51’s rock..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link has a video showing problems on the original ship built during WWII.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/...II1r_cmTfhAyPOxvBEJY

Sending Out an SOS for USS The Sullivans

By Breanna Fuss
PUBLISHED 12:47 PM ET Jun. 24, 2019

USS The Sullivans served in World War II and Korea— earning 11 battle stars. Though the ship is no longer battling against enemy forces, it is battling the Buffalo River.

USS The Sullivans has sprung a few leaks.

A campaign is underway to raise $2 million to cover repairs.

The destroyer fought in WWII, the Korean War and aided in other missions without ever losing a sailor in combat.

"Micro-organisms, salt, any kind of thing that is going to attack steel is going to," John Branning, Superintendent of Ships at Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Military Park said.

The former Navy senior chief says the ship has about six active leaks. Last year, there were nearly 20.

"No self-respecting senior chief would ever let his command go down," Branning said.

That's why he suits up and takes a plunge into the murky waters surrounding the destroyer to fix each leak.

"We take a patch that we make with a bolt through it and we stick it against the hull. He's on the inside and puts another side to it, we tighten it up and the leak stops," Branning explained.

The man on the other side of the operation is director of museum collections, Shane Stephenson.

"They constructed ships for the war itself and after the war, they were either going to scrap them or put them into the moth ball fleet," Stephenson said.

So why is this 1940s destroyer so important to keep afloat? If you look on the main deck, you get a good idea.

"The five brothers were killed on the USS Juneau," Stephenson said. "Franklin D. Roosevelt decided to name this ship after the five brothers."

To this day, it's a way to say thank you to the Sullivan family for its sacrifice. The ship also embodies Buffalo; a working class community with a lot of Irish ties.

USS the Sullivans was first deployed for WWII. She aided in the Korean Conflict and Cuban Missile Crisis.

“And then you know, aided in the search of astronaut Allen Shepard," Stephenson said.

But USS The Sullivans is on her most important mission yet: inspiring future generations. In order to do that though, she needs help.

The Naval Park is sending out an SOS and asking the community for $2 million. It help will help cover much needed repairs so generations to come can learn about life on the sea and service.

"These ships are living and breathing creatures, it sounds funny but they are," Branning said.

=======================================

https://buffalonavalpark.org/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
51’s rock..

Never cared for that angled flight deck. Moving a 60 around that deck was a pain.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
The link has a video showing problems on the original ship built during WWII.

That's a bummer.

At 2:12, the second tallest building, the open window, second floor from the top was my grandparent's old apartment bedroom window.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Buffalo, toured the naval and servicemen’s park multiple times. Great museum both on water and land. I have since moved to free America but some things from New York I do miss alittle

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I toured the Sullivan in Buffalo many years ago. It left a lasting impression of the sacrifices our troops have endured over the years protecting our freedoms.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed, bonafide pain in the ass while underway with elevated sea states
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
51’s rock..

Never cared for that angled flight deck. Moving a 60 around that deck was a pain.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post