SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the IT guys - remote computer screen size issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the IT guys - remote computer screen size issue Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
At home I have dual 27" 1440 monitors at 125% scale. Everything looks great at my settings. Plenty large.

At the office I have dual 23" monitors at 1080p.

The problem is when I remote into the office computer from home, icons, text, etc look considerably smaller. Much harder to read than when I physically sit at either computer.

I'm not sure how to change this on the remote connection.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of ways to remote in.

What are you using?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think it is just Microsoft. The app only says "Remote Desktop Connection" with tabs for General, Display, Local Resources, Experience and Advanced. I activate a VPN first then connect via that icon.

I have it set to use all monitors at full screen size to mimic being in the office.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The size of the RDC (Remote Desktop Connect) display is not inherently related to the physical size of any monitor attached to either the connected-to or remote machine. It is, instead, a virtual display that has no equivalent in material space. So the size is controlled by how it is created at connection time. I imagine, to be "helpful" the default resolution will be the lesser of the source and destination displays, or some "safe" value. There will be a configuration item that allows you to set the size of the virtual display (probably, but not necessarily. on the connected-to system). I don't know how to do this on MS Windows, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find out, a web search for "RDC set display size" would probably turn up something relevant.

Dual monitors in both locations only adds to th complexity, it could be that MS Windows is trying to "fit" dual displays into a single monitor window at the destination. I have seen this with RDC on Macs. The 125% blow-up mentioned in the OP probably isn't helping either as this gives less space into which to fit the default remote display space (27" is less than 1.25 * 23").

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I remote into several windows servers daily. I don't have a specific answer, but I use RemoteNg (pronounced remoting) to connect. You have more options than plain old RDP. RemoteNg is free, as I am sure others are as well.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post