SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retail Apocalypse: These big retailers closing stores, filing for bankruptcy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retail Apocalypse: These big retailers closing stores, filing for bankruptcy Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Tucson has many strip malls that went Kaput in past several years and remain empty.

So, what does the City Council suggest?

A - Find developer to build more strip malls in new location.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Lucky for me there are a good number of decent pizzerias around here besides the 3 chains.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
FedEx is doing their part to help folks shop from home. Sunday deliveries and gradually taking over SmartPost deliveries.

To keep up with U.S consumers' growing online shopping habits, FedEx announced it is boosting its seven-day delivery service so that it happens all year long.

The change will launch in January 2020 and will affect a large portion of the country, the company said in a news release Opens a New Window. Thursday. The seven-days-a-week service was previously only available during the peak holiday season.

FedEx President and Chief Operating Officer Raj Subramaniam spoke about the company’s growth over time and the anticipation of an increase in shipments of small parcels in the U.S.

“We have made significant investments in capacity, technology and automation at FedEx Ground over the past 20 years,” Subramaniam said. “These investments have allowed us to gain ground market share for 19 of the last 20 years, and we are now ideally positioned to extend that growth as the average daily volume for small parcels in the U.S. is expected to double by 2026.”

“Expanding our operations to include Sunday residential deliveries further increases our ability to meet the demands of e-commerce shippers and online shoppers,” he continued.

The company also intends to “increasingly” incorporate nearly two million FedEx SmartPost packages into their ground operations, FedEx said. SmartPost is a longtime deal between FedEx and the U.S. Postal Service, where FedEx ships packages most of the way, but the post office delivers it to your door, according to The Associated Press.

Since 2016, FedEx has already taken back about 20% of SmartPost parcels when technology helped the company spot instances in which a FedEx driver was scheduled to take another package to the same address or one nearby, the company said.

By the end of next year, the ground service intends to handle “the vast majority of FedEx SmartPost package volume,” the company said.

“Delivery density has consistently been a challenge with e-commerce,” Subramaniam said. “We anticipate substantial density improvement and efficiency opportunities when all residential packages are sorted and delivered within the same ground network.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/ec...days-a-week-all-year

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Time to get out of the commercial real estate business.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Tucson has many strip malls that went Kaput in past several years and remain empty.

So, what does the City Council suggest?

A - Find developer to build more strip malls in new location.

Strip malls and regular malls constantly shoot themselves in the foot. They jack the prices so high that very few businesses can afford to pay the rent then it’s Ghost Town USA.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Just think - When the brick and mortar stores are gone there will be no more "Let's go shopping!" for something to do/get out of the house.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
amazon prime is pretty awesome, I have the worst time trying to find anything thats somewhat out of the ordinary, like a aluminum hitch stinger, we have 5 different hitch stores around here and no one had one, but hey they can order it for more then I can have it delivered to my front door for Roll Eyes no point in even looking anymore.

Posts: 5601 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Buying online is great until it ain't. What's gonna happen when there are no more brick and mortar stores to go to touch or try on for size (like shoes) first at.

I can't believe no one has mentioned guns yet, b/c admit it. A lot of us go fondle guns at the LGS before ordering it online.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Buying online is great until it ain't. What's gonna happen when there are no more brick and mortar stores to go to touch or try on for size (like shoes) first at.

I can't believe no one has mentioned guns yet, b/c admit it. A lot of us go fondle guns at the LGS before ordering it online.

A few months back I was ready to buy a Win M70 Featherweight. I hit my LGS first. It’s still a 60 mile round trip but whatever, it’s a small price to pay for small town living. Anyway, no luck there so I spent the next few days calling most of the gun stores I could find a number for AND still nothing. I ended up ordering one from a online vendor and shipping it to my LGS. It’s anti-climactic to say the least but it wasn’t for a lack of effort.

I’d bet there are more than a few here that still prefer buying their guns local when possible.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Strip malls and regular malls constantly shoot themselves in the foot. They jack the prices so high that very few businesses can afford to pay the rent then it’s Ghost Town USA.

It makes a person feel crazy when you read about the business models of malls in general. The percentage they take out of their tenant's profits are shocking. It's no surprise that they're stumbling with even the smallest bit of competition from online sources.

Then, there is all the "trouble" that lurks in malls these days.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
When ordering online, I don’t have to deal with parking, traffic, theft from my vehicle, or dealing with the urban “yutes”.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
The urban youths are responsible for the downward spiral of shopping here. Customers don’t like being potential victims. All the malls are built on the outskirts of town, so the little darlings take the bus. No parents in sight. Locals drive 30 miles away to shop, and prices are sky high. Stores drop like flies because of high rent. The typical urban cycle. No remedy yet.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just think - When the brick and mortar stores are gone there will be no more "Let's go shopping!" for something to do/get out of the house.

Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me--means there's more time to do quality things.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
People’s spending habits permanently changed not just because of Amazon, but also because of the Great Recession. Sears was profitable until 2010 and hasn’t turned a profit since. Nobody knows how many retailers will be left 5 to 10 years from now.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3975 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
... Victoria's Secret ... amid sagging sales...

Aging market demographic?

Beat me to it.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Time to get out of the commercial real estate business.

Many of the mid sized Retail development firms are being bought up by larger developers because their stock values are in the tank. Last year was big for M&A and the company I work for was one of the victims. That said, it’s all good as the future potential has greatly increased.

The Class A properties will survive but anything less may find itself repurposed to get better value out of the land.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5760 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post