SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help finding military photo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help finding military photo Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted
I have a friend that is looking for her brother's official military photo. There is a local program where vets' photos can be printed on banners and displayed around the downtown area. They are nice. But they need the photo instead of using a graduation pic etc. I am looking on the internet for resources but this is the best place to start. Thanks, Kevin

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I recall seeing something that resembled a yearbook with my uncles photo. He was Korean conflict era. The vet I'm hunting for is mid sixties so Viet Nam era. He was in the Air Force and stationed in Spain most of his enrollment.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
In 1968 we had a Basic Training Yearbook Pic - Mine was in Ft Leonard Wood.

I believe it has been scanned by a private party and available but not an official publication.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The only official military photos I knew of, at least in the Marines, were for basic training (boot camp) graduation and for promotion review boards above E-5.

Other than that, your picture would have had to have been taken for something special to be hung on a wall, like "Marine of the Year", or if you were high enough ranking to have been part of the chain of command where your picture is on the wall with other officers or higher enlisted personnel, or to be printed on the base newspaper.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Not knowing which military service branch, it’s kind of difficult to assist. BUT, the USAF is putting on-line Basic Training and Tech School graduation photos. If USAF, check here: https://www.bmtflightphotos.af.mil/

I don’t know if other services have similar websites.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:

I believe it has been scanned by a private party and available but not an official publication.

Same thing for me, only mine was Ft. Leonard Wood in 1961. I don't know if this was a common practice elsewhere or not.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2090 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:

Ft. Ord for me in 1967 for the basic training book. I never had another photo taken of me that could be called an official photo.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
In my official USN photograph, I'm standing next to a board that has my SSN on it, so I'm hoping these aren't available online.

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
What branch?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
What branch?

Air Force

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:
What branch?

Air Force

There is a web site with all basic training group photos going back 50 years. The individual photos also are usually sent to the hometown newspaper at graduation from basic. If a senior officer or senior NCO the photos are often posted on the base web site depending on how long ago

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
www.bmtflightphotos.af.mil

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
www.bmtflightphotos.af.mil

Thanks. I believe that's the same link in the fifth post. I forwarded that to my friend. I don't know if she can narrow down the date and see her brother in a group photo or not. Then I doubt there would be good enough resolution to use it as a portrait photo but it's worth a shot. All we have right now actually.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Fold3.com may have information. They are part of Ancestry. I'm not associated with either company, but I've had some success tracing down military info using them. Sometimes there is a lot of information, sometimes not.

Email sent.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I have a friend that is looking for her brother's official military photo. There is a local program where vets' photos can be printed on banners and displayed around the downtown area. They are nice. But they need the photo instead of using a graduation pic etc. I am looking on the internet for resources but this is the best place to start. Thanks, Kevin

What was his last base and year? If he had an official photo taken--they *might* have it stored as a soft copy. You won't be able to find it in a search on the Google machine.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post