SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marble cleaning question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marble cleaning question Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I have an area of the floor that is a white marble tile. It's a high traffic area and also where the dogs love to sleep. Once a year, I have it professionally cleaned but in between, it just looks terrible. I mop it occasionally but it feels like it need something more.

IS there anything I can do to give it a periodic deeper cleaning? It is a honed rather than a polished finish if that matters.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It should be sealed. Marble is really difficult to keep looking good. And it will absorb urine and maybe doggie smells.

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
It is sealed. The dogs don't pee on it but they like to sleep on it, so all the dirt and oils from their coats end up on the floor.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Clean it with Ivory soap and water - only!

Do not use any commercial type of cleaner, even those that are labeled for marble.

You do not need a professional cleaner - especially if they are the ones that recommended the sealing of the honed marble floor. You do need to seal granite and marble counter tops.

Honed marble will patina beautifully if not sealed.

In case of dog accidents, use "Pee Pee" cleaner to neutralize the odor.

This is from 45+ years of working in marble: http://poundsstudio.com/ and having a lot of stone floors and counter tops for many years.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
redleg2/9,
What about cleaning marble shower walls and floors. We have a hell of a time with ours. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
bald1, showers are the one place I have avoided using marble. But since you have already probably tried a few items to clean the marble, I would: Walls only: first kill any mildew, scrub with soap and water, let completely dry, then apply pure Carnauba wax to seal the walls (Ace Hardware carries this.)
For the floor, do the same but definitely omit the wax.

The first home we built had 70%+ marble floors. They had started a beautiful patina, which my wife did not like because marble is shiny - right?
I came home one rainy day and almost killed myself in the first four steps. Wifie had used a can of my Italian Pamir polish that, at that time, was available only from a couple of marble supply houses that sold to the trade. I had made the exact polish myself using a 19th century description to use in Scagliola restoration. When it became available commercially, I purchased the imported cans of Pamir.

I showed her the commercial can which had an inch high warning not to use on floors. My next words were that if she used any kind of polish on my patina floors, I would sand every square inch of marble in the house! That warning lasted only about 10 years - but, I have repeated it a couple of times. Wink

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post