SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I suspect that many “reads” of SigForum posts are by non-members
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I suspect that many “reads” of SigForum posts are by non-members Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I suspect that many “reads” of SigForum posts are by non-members. Are there any hard statistics about that? Just curious. I think that there’s a lot of general interest in SigForum threads.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8978 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Just look at the bottom of the main forum directory and it'll tell you all you need to know

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I don’t doubt that at all. I joined two years ago but was a reader here for at least 12 or 13 years before that because I didn’t have an accepted email addy.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3972 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Currently there are 180 members and 1225 guests reading the forum.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31427 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
or could that be 180 members that are logged in ,
500 that are members that are not logged in ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54661 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I would imagine google search results lead a lot of folks here

Posts: 5336 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Probably a bit of both. I probably do most of my reading while not logged in, depending on what computer I'm using.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I regularly read on my phone w/o signing in. Any time there is a laptop shutdown or restart, I may also not notice I'm not signed in. Simple guess is 3x more members, just not logged in. Would not surprise me if it was higher.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How does the forum software work?

Is the "read" counter incremented if somebody who is not logged in, reads a thread?

As a retired software engineer / teacher, I would incorporate an option in the design; let the admin decide whether to increment the read counter for everybody, or just for those who are logged in.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30699 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm one of the ones that lurk while not logged in when at my home computer. My security settings are set to purge my TIFs when I close out to the internet which means I have to log in every time if I want to post something.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5757 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I'm also a lurker in that my web browser has SigForum's Lounge as the home page. Every time I open my browser, I'm here.

Usually, what I can add to a thread has already been said a couple of times so I don't see the need of saying it again.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

Just look at the bottom of the main forum directory and it'll tell you all you need to know
I see a bunch of forum member's names.

Some are in black, some are in red. What is the significance of the color?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30699 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read posts here almost daily, and may not be logged in when doing so.

Posts: 3 | Location: Northern IL | Registered: May 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also read posts multiple times each day and only actually log on when I post something, like this.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely. I only log in when I am posting.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Registered Members: 86049

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I see a bunch of forum member's names.

Some are in black, some are in red. What is the significance of the color?

The one's in red are members whose profile you have viewed.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:

Absolutely. I only log in when I am posting.

I love SIGForum, but it’s the same with me, usually reading multiple times a day, but signing in only occasionally if I have something to contribute or wish to vote in a poll.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I never sign out. Is this a bad habit?

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, it's not a bad habit and the people posting in this thread need to cease giving others the idea that it is.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post