SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas police Shoot Man who Disarmed Possible Church Shooter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas police Shoot Man who Disarmed Possible Church Shooter Login/Join 
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted
https://www.chron.com/news/hou...ossible-12704202.php

Police in Amarillo shot an innocent man who helped foil a possible church shooting.

The shooting happened shortly after 9 a.m. Feb. 14 at the Faith City Mission, a faith-based outreach organization. Police said Joshua Len Jones, 35, of Amarillo, barged into a church building at Faith City Mission, pulled out a gun and was holding about 100 congregants and church staff hostage.

In the time between when police were dispatched and when officers arrived, a handful of churchgoers wrestled Jones to the ground. One of the congregants was able to grab Jones' gun.

Officers entered the building and saw the churchgoer holding the gun and opened fire, according to the Amarillo Police Department. The churchgoer was hospitalized in stable condition.

The victim, who spoke to ABC 7 Amarillo, has since been released and told the station he would do it all over again despite being shot by police.

"There were other people there," Tony Garces said. "I just took the gun away from him. I got shot. I got the bad part. It's life."

Jones was booked into jail on six first-degree felony charges of aggravated kidnapping. He's being held on $1.2 million worth of bonds, according to jail records.

No one else, including Jones, was injured.

The Amarillo shooting happened on the same day 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz opened fire on a Florida high school, killing 17 people.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Unfortunate incident. It sounds like the good guy will be ok, with the given information I can't really blame the police.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
If you're on the phone with 911 and you're a good guy with a gun, you better let them know so that they can tell the arriving officers.

If they get a call that there's a bad guy with a gun with no other information, odds are good that whomever they see with a gun is getting shot.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ugh. That sucks for both the innocent victim and the officer.

There are things you can do to lessen/minimize your risk of being misidentified by responding officers, like giving a good description of the bad guy as well as any armed good guys, and especially ensuring that you're not holding a weapon when the police arrive (if possible).

But mistakes will happen when split-second decisions have to be made during dangerous, fluid situations like these.

I hope the victim makes a full and speedy recovery.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post