SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Karma - Fake Meat Flopping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karma - Fake Meat Flopping Login/Join 
posted
This is an impossibly long article to read, but I just loved it. And reading just the first few paragraphs will give you the idea.
What is better, is that I tracked it down from a teaser on the always-woke-leaning Apple News Feed.
If you just read the first quarter you’ll get the taste:
The elite realize our reliance on meat is killing the planet; we must launch an initiative akin to those in WWII; meatless will solve obesity, heart disease, and cancer; the Hollywood elite emphasize the nobility of the movement; huge infusions of capital are made.
Now people are noticing it’s more heavily processed, less healthy, more expensive, less tasty, sometimes smelly, and revenues are tanking.
Could this be an analogy for the green revenue — I mean energy - movement?
I sure hope this link goes through.

https://www.tbsnews.net/bloomb...t-another-fad-571714

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
So no free stuff? Misleading title. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Once we figure out how to get that gamy taste out of Gwyneth Paltrow, the sky's the limit. We'll cook her up on a gas stove just for good measure.
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
So no free stuff? Misleading title.
I think we karma'd off Fake Meat Flopping a couple of years ago.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Darn I missed it!

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
You can take my steak from my cold dead hands.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So no free stuff? Misleading title. Big Grin

Valid point! My bad.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
You can take my steak from my cold dead hands.

They're not going to actually take it, they're just going to make it too expensive for anyone other than the elite.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you want fries with that McBug burger?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I don’t care if it’s fake or not, I don’t want see any meat flopping around…

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Want free stuff?

I can go out in the yard and scare up some crickets if anyone wants them.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The subject line leaves something to be desired...but it's an interesting and informative article that explains why plant-based fake meat isn't the healthy replacement to natural meat, because it is so "hyperprocessed", and that it mostly appeals to the small demographic that sees it as an enviro-freiendly alternative to real meat...and willing to pay the high prices to eat fake meat.

From the article:

quote:
When Pat founded Impossible in 2011, his big breakthrough was realizing that a molecule called heme was the key to meat's meatiness. He made heme with genetically modified yeast and patented the use of what the company called its magic ingredient: soy leghemoglobin.

I get satisfaction in the irony that the same crowd that hates GMO food still resorts to using them to create plant-based fake meat.

another excerpt from the article:
quote:

At first, fake burgers and sausages seemed like a potential solution to Americans' obsession with red and processed meats, which have been linked to cancer and other chronic diseases. But over the years, skepticism about their healthfulness grew. Within months of Beyond's IPO, onetime fan and whole-foods maven Mark Bittman criticized the fake meat products for their "hyperprocessing." Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc.'s CEO said they didn't fit with the fast-casual chain's "food with integrity" mantra. Even John Mackey, co-founder of Whole Foods Market Inc.—the grocer that had been instrumental in introducing the category—went on the record calling plant-based meat "super, highly processed foods." (The Center for Consumer Freedom, a front group that represents tobacco, alcohol and meat companies, ran a Super Bowl ad in February 2020 attacking fake meat's ingredients with a mock spelling bee that repeated long-held health advice: "If you can't spell it or pronounce it, maybe you shouldn't be eating it.")

This excerpt made me smile:
quote:
The white globules are meant to give the burgers a meaty juiciness, but plant-based fats can also emit an off-putting smell when some of these products are cooked, says Tom Mastrobuoni, who led the second Tyson investment in Beyond and is now chief investment officer at the food-tech-focused Big Idea Ventures LLC. Commenters online have compared the odor of Beyond's raw plant meat to that of cat food, and one message board poster said he had to ventilate his kitchen to clear the air after cooking it. "If any other food smelled that way, I would throw it out," says Jeremy Sklarsky, a former Beyond customer who tried the products out of health and environmental concerns before going back to beef.

quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I don’t care if it’s fake or not, I don’t want see any meat flopping around…

... well, now that you mention it.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/hTGSLnkfcgo

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Once we figure out how to get that gamy taste out of Gwyneth Paltrow, the sky's the limit. We'll cook her up on a gas stove just for good measure.
quote:
So no free stuff? Misleading title.
I think we karma'd off Fake Meat Flopping a couple of years ago.
…I’m hoping for not a bunch of “flopping” though Frown

Gwyneth meat probably tastes as well (after a scrubbing bath and a long soak in salt brine with several changes of water) as it looks ifin i can use my old Coleman “white gas stove” (I know it sounds racist but there’s no “colored” gas left on the market today Confused ):…I’ll manually pump up the red pressure tank just to be ready…O wait…I’m gonna have to replace that little leather disk on the pump stem before I can proceed…it’s all dried out…Coleman owners will understand Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post