SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ski lift in country of Georgia goes haywire - skiers flung all over the place
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ski lift in country of Georgia goes haywire - skiers flung all over the place Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

Another view:

News story:
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.5f977b14ab09

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good times

Posts: 107920 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I also posted this...you beat me by a minute. Mine is a 3rd view. Crazy how many videos you will get of an incident now that everyone has cameras 24/7.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It is crazy...With the different angles it looks like a bunch of people were jumping off from pretty high up.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"Look at me - I'm flying!!"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14048 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is not good.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19283 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Where can I see more of that news reporter? I didn't understand her, but I don't need to. "And now for the very serious and sexy news..." Wink

Posts: 21144 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I would think these type of units have an emergency shut off switch. I hope the employee's can explain why no one was around to shut the unit down for cris sakes.

posted Hide Post
It snows in Georgia? I thought it was too humid and flat.

And why isn’t someone trying to cut power?

P229

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I would think these type of units have an emergency shut off switch. I hope the employee's can explain why no one was around to shut the unit down for cris sakes.
Was drinking vodka.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Like i said in the other thread, there is no emergency stop for a malfunction like that. I don't believe it's even possible to run ski lifts backwards. That likely was the result of a broken drive gear.

Cutting power, emergency stop...it's not how it works in a situation like that. It's all gravity and inertia at that point.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30511 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watch it again. Something in the drive line busted and it is free spinning in reverse. Therefore, can't hit an ESD on the motor and gravity is being a bitch.

If you think of the elevator safety, it'd take an enormous set of brakes to do that on a chair lift.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23380 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Russian's don't need instruction manuals.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Like i said in the other thread, there is no emergency stop for a malfunction like that. I don't believe it's even possible to run ski lifts backwards. That likely was the result of a broken drive gear.

Cutting power, emergency stop...it's not how it works in a situation like that. It's all gravity and inertia at that point.

Actually, there is. There is a large claw-like lever called a "dog brake" that the lift operator is supposed to enable in these types of emergencies. I'm really baffled by what happened here, because those things are near fool-proof. The bullwheel has large holes in it and the dog brake is supposed drop into one of those holes in the event that the haul rope (the cable that the chairs are attached to) begins to roll back. It's kind of a PITA to reset a dog brake, but it's not terribly uncommon to use. I'm really curious to see how that failed. (We have plenty of Doppelmayr lifts at our resort, all have a dog brake.)

(13 yr. professional ski patroller at Park City Mountain Resort here.)

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a ride of a life time.
I believe the best option was to jump off the lift onto the powder.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Russian's don't need instruction manuals.
Is no vodka in instruction manual

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Actually, there is. There is a large claw-like lever called a "dog brake" that the lift operator is supposed to enable in these types of emergencies. I'm really baffled by what happened here, because those things are near fool-proof. The bullwheel has large holes in it and the dog brake is supposed drop into one of those holes in the event that the haul rope (the cable that the chairs are attached to) begins to roll back. It's kind of a PITA to reset a dog brake, but it's not terribly uncommon to use. I'm really curious to see how that failed. (We have plenty of Doppelmayr lifts at our resort, all have a dog brake.)

(13 yr. professional ski patroller at Park City Mountain Resort here.)

First off, howdy, neighbor!

Second, you're right of course. A similar thing happened at Sugarloaf a few years back. Here's an explanation of the cause and how it was prevented from being a much worse accident.

Investigators from Sugarloaf working in conjunction with an engineer from the State of Maine Board of Elevators and Tramways have identified mechanical failures that led to the King Pine lift rollback, resulting in injuries to seven guests yesterday. The investigation began shortly after the evacuation of the lift was complete. Preliminary findings revealed that the trigger for the incident was a major mechanical failure in one of two gearboxes connecting the lift's electric motor to its drive bullwheel. The gearbox failure effectively de-coupled the bullwheel from the lift's primary service brake, which is located on the drive shaft between the two gearboxes, and its anti-reverse brake, which is the first of three redundant backup mechanisms for preventing reverse travel. At this point, the emergency bullwheel brake, which uses calipers to apply braking pressure to the flange of the bullwheel itself, was applied by the lift attendant. This brake slowed the speed of the rollback and ultimately brought the lift to a stop. The application of the emergency brake by the lift attendant likely prevented a more extensive rollback. The final braking mechanism, known as a drop dog (a large metal pin that drops into the bullwheel to prevent rotation), apparently failed to deploy as designed.

https://www.tetongravity.com/s...sugarloaf-injuring-7

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30511 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for that. I too knew that. It is always fun in these threads to let the "no it all's" tell us there is no such thing. Wink

No doubt an equip. failure. Equip. breaks. It happens. But the human failure is the real failure here. If the safety system was down or an operator was not on duty or occupied and unable to activate it Someone's gone go into the fire on this one.

That is a very bad situation.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks for that. I too knew that. It is always fun in these threads to let the "no it all's" tell us there is no such thing. Wink

No doubt an equip. failure. Equip. breaks. It happens. But the human failure is the real failure here. If the safety system was down or an operator was not on duty or occupied and unable to activate it Someone's gone go into the fire on this one.

That is a very bad situation.

" No it all's?" Roll Eyes

Yeah sure, you knew that too.

Look, no, there is no such thing as a "shut off switch" with a failure like that. My comment was not accounting for an emergency caliper style brake. Read the account i posted above. Those failures were not human, unless they relate back to equipment inspections which is hardly the fault of some 17 year old lift operator. The biggest fault that might be laid at the lift attendant is not applying the emergency brake (I have no idea how it is engaged, whether electronically or manually) before the lift really started running away. And who knows if that brake didn't also have a massive failure.

This was catastrophic equipment failure first and foremost.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The historical evidence speaks for itself. Nice try though.
With the rolly eyes and all. Wink

Relax, it is all for entertainment. Big Grin

Yes it was a massive equip. failure as I already said. Most like compounded by a failure of at least one or more back up safety measures designed to insure something like this does not happen.