SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, how do you get your car/truck up on ramps?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, how do you get your car/truck up on ramps? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
A related question, has anyone ever used four ramps to lift the entire car up, keeping it level?

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a car that ramps would fit under the car in front of the rear tires or behind the front tires.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I have plastic Rhino ramps, one is even missing the rubber foot underneath. Have had no issues driving various cars up on smooth concrete flooring as well. Just ease on up there.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Before lumber got so expensive I made ramps out of 2x8 SPF. 4 pieces cut in decreasing lengths and then screwed together for each ramp. Got the cars 6" higher in front or back. If I were to go any higher I'd use 2x10.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I have plastic Rhino ramps, one is even missing the rubber foot underneath. Have had no issues driving various cars up on smooth concrete flooring as well. Just ease on up there.

Those are the ramps I have, rated to 12000lbs. Just put them on a thin rubberized garage mat and drove the wife's car up on them no problem.

Thanks everyone.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

quote:
I don’t think I’ve ever owned a car that ramps would fit under the car in front of the rear tires or behind the front tires.

They would on this one.

Then again, it doesn't really need ramps.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Ouch! haha!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
When I’m at my house I always use the heavy duty plastic ramps. All of our cars are either AWD or 4x4 so I make sure to select the ride mode, figure with the front wheels driving forward (vs. spinning freely) there’s less chance of the ramp(s) squirting out. Never had an issue in 10+ years.

Now more than ever though I just go to my folks house, dad has a two post lift. Easiest (and cleanest) oil change ever.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I use those plastic ramps regularly and have never had them slip, although I use them on my concrete driveway. My driveway has a slight incline and the bottom of those ramps grip well. If you had a slick garage floor I could see it happening but just stick something under them to create some friction if that’s the case.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I don't drive on mine any longer. Mine have the removable ramps so i just use my floor jack to lift. Then slide them in place.

Only use them on major repairs as the vehicle is more secure on two ramp bases and two jack stands then on four jack stands.

My pickup would be the only one with clearance enough to drive onto anyway. The mustang and fusion are to low to drive onto the ramps anyway without using a bunch of boards and plywood to make the ramp long enough to get clearance.

Just easier/quicker and safer to use the jack.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have that problem with my floor.
I use rubber backed thin door mats from big box store.
Works for me.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 316 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Today, because I stupidly left the key for the car we worked on at home, I jacked the car up and stuck the ramps under the tires. Backwards though because the jack was to close with the ramps pointed the normal way. I really just need to get a real lift at some point.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post