SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SAGA Act in Congress!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SAGA Act in Congress! Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Collins Introduces Second Amendment Guarantee Act
Jul 31, 2017 Press Release
Protects Second Amendment rights; limits state authority to regulate rifles and shotguns; voids much of SAFE Act
Congressman Chris Collins (NY-27) has proposed new measures for protecting Second Amendment rights by introducing legislation to limit states authority when it comes to regulating rifles and shotguns, commonly used by sportsmen and sportswomen. The Second Amendment Guarantee Act (SAGA) would prevent states from implementing any regulations on these weapons that are more restrictive than what is required by federal law. Upon passage of this bill, most of the language included in New York State’s Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Act of 2013 signed into law by Governor Cuomo would be void.

“This legislation would protect the Second Amendment rights of New Yorkers that were unjustly taken away by Andrew Cuomo,” said Collins. “I am a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and have fought against all efforts to condemn these rights. I stand with the law-abiding citizens of this state that have been outraged by the SAFE Act and voice my commitment to roll back these regulations.”

Governor Cuomo’s SAFE Act violates federal regulation and the following provisions would be void under the proposed legislation:

- Cuomo’s SAFE Act expanded rifle and shotgun bans to include semi-automatic guns with detachable magazines that possess certain features.

- The Cuomo SAFE Act banned the capacity of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. It further limited magazines to 7 rounds at any time.

In the Collins’ bill, States or local governments would not be able to regulate, prohibit, or require registration and licensing (that are any more restrictive under Federal law) for the sale, manufacturing, importation, transfer, possession, or marketing of a rifle or shotgun. Additionally, “rifle or shotgun” includes any part of the weapon including any detachable magazine or ammunition feeding devise and any type of pistol grip or stock design.

Under this legislation, any current or future laws enacted by a state or political subdivision that exceeds federal law for rifles and shotguns would be void. Should a state violate this law, and a plaintiff goes to court, the court will award the prevailing plaintiff a reasonable attorney’s fee in addition to any other damages.

https://chriscollins.house.gov...ndment-guarantee-act

There's no Calvary out there, it's just us!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8375 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Have there been any Constitutional challenges to the SAFE Act?

(Never mind, I googled it)

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Being a Californian this would be great!!!

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3488 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Laws to protect laws. So sad.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
What I'm hearing here is the Federal government telling the States, 'You may no longer regulate to a different standard than the Federal government'.

That in itself is a bad idea. States rights were one of the causes of the American Civil War, despite what certain people want you to believe.

Add to that, this makes the Federal government the standard for your Second Ammendment rights. If they would leave the Second Ammendment alone that would be just fine, but with the passage of this legislation, we are just an election away from getting an Obama-like administration who very well may decide to tighten the noose on the Second Ammendment. Many on the Left have already stated the Constitution is an out dated document that needs revision to bring it up to date.

As stated here, this is a very, very bad idea. I don't want the Federal government involved with my right to own and carry a firearm. That includes the disaster a national riprocity will likely cause.

Thanks for the warning. I'll contact my congress critters, for all the good it will do me.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post