SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to fix your new, sucky fuel containers so they can actually be used.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to fix your new, sucky fuel containers so they can actually be used. Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
Maybe now people can buy gas cans that don't cost an arm and a leg to make one that actually works well. Sticking it up the EPA's collective asses is attractive as well.

Posts: 7409 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I have done the vent cap trick on all my cans. Works great

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend against adding a vent to your can.

Vented cans absolutely destroy the quality of the fuel. You WANT your can to blow up like a balloon when in the sun. Keeping the vapors in the can is good for fuel quality.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I highly recommend against adding a vent to your can.

Vented cans absolutely destroy the quality of the fuel. You WANT your can to blow up like a balloon when in the sun. Keeping the vapors in the can is good for fuel quality.

^^^
I'm a little confused. It has a cap on the vent to keep the can sealed except when you are pouring it.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
https://www.tractorsupply.com/...content=Organic_Feed

Been using these for several years. Basically the same as VP racing jugs. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1148 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hray:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/...content=Organic_Feed

Been using these for several years. Basically the same as VP racing jugs. Hray

Why is this warning in the description?
NOTE: This container is solely intended for use with non-fuel or non-kerosene products and must not be used to transport fuel or kerosene.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

NOTE: This container is solely intended for use with non-fuel or non-kerosene products and must not be used to transport fuel or kerosene.

So the EPA can't fine them for intentionally selling a product to skirt "fuel container regulation"?

This modification simply reverts your fuel container back to the way they were designed to function.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Amazing that Backyard Maine could find not only one but TWO needle nose pliers when he needed them.

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That’s a great way to get fuel on your shoes.

Those water jugs work for me. I made my own hose and they empty in under a minute.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SureCan:

https://www.surecanusa.com/

I'll never go back.

Posts: 2107 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe now people can buy gas cans that don't cost an arm and a leg to make one that actually works well.

I'm glad the video helps people...

An easier way is to pick up old cans at garage sales.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1085 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use VP Racing gas cans. The snout fits into the gas inlet for my truck, doesn’t leak and is usable unlike some of the red plastic ones.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Raci...id=1718025637&sr=8-3

I have one red one gallon can for mixed gas for the blower,chainsaw, & weed eater. I put one of those aftermarket snouts and a vent on it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

So the EPA can't fine them for intentionally selling a product to skirt "fuel container regulation"?

This modification simply reverts your fuel container back to the way they were designed to function.

Yes to skirt the requirements

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1148 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solved the problem years ago...

Posts: 785 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wavian cans

Midwest (aka Wavian) cans

And I see Ace also carries the SureCanUSA. Cool.

Posts: 559 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 559 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"How to fix your new, sucky fuel containers so they can actually be used"
A tutorial in two parts.

Step 1: Throw away your cheap plastic gas can with worthless EPA spout.

Step 2: Get yourself a metal Eagle/Just Rite gas can with an actual usable spout.

https://eagle.justrite.com/safety-cans

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
my vent cap does keep vapors in the can.

pop the cap to pour, push the cap in after pouring.

solves the gas from coming out in spurts and splashing

also have a couple NATO cans

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
+1 to the Wavian gerry cans. Those things are tough.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post