SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The New B-21 Stealth Bomber to Be Revealed Later This Year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New B-21 Stealth Bomber to Be Revealed Later This Year Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Link

Sen. Mike Rounds, R-S.D., said the B-21 Raider stealth bomber will finally be revealed to the public later this year, unveiling an aircraft that has been shrouded in secrecy since the program began in 2014.

Rounds, the only elected official in a classified visit July 15 to the B-21 Raider production facility in Palmdale, California, said the project is also on track for a first flight in 2023.

"While much of the information I received on my visit is classified, I am pleased to report the B-21 is on time and on budget," Rounds said in a Tuesday press release from his office. "The public can expect the B-21 to be revealed later this year."

To date, the public has seen only realistic artist renderings of the next-generation stealth bomber, but a spokesman for Rounds' said an image of the B-21 itself should be coming soon.

Last year, the U.S. Air Force released a rendering of the B-21, showing the long-range stealth bomber taking off from Edwards Air Force Base, California, where it will someday be tested before taking on worldwide operations.

Ellsworth Air Force Base, just outside of Rapid City, South Dakota, was selected last summer as the first installation to receive the aircraft.

"The B-21 is one of the most advanced aircraft to ever be developed," Rounds said. "We are getting closer to bringing this state-of-the-art platform home to Ellsworth Air Force Base."

The B-21 is being manufactured by Virginia-based Northrop Grumman. Budget documents show that producing the B-21 will cost around $20 billion through 2027.

Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., spoke on the floor of the Senate on Wednesday, saying he's aware that six B-21s are being developed and stressing the need for Congress to pass the annual defense spending bill because it also includes construction projects for Ellsworth to support the aircraft's mission.

The South Dakota Republican is pushing for more resources, overall, to accommodate an influx of service members who will come to the area along with the new B-21.

"I worked to include in this year's NDAA an extension of an authority for the secretary of defense to adjust Basic Allowance for Housing rates if an installation is experiencing a sudden increase in the number of service members assigned there," Thune said. "This will help ensure that families at Ellsworth and elsewhere will have the resources they need to secure appropriate accommodations."

Thune added that "as many as 250 people per year, including 100 dependents" could be moving to the Rapid City area to support the B-21.

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The B-21 is one of the most advanced aircraft to ever be developed," Rounds said.
Well, yeah, I certainly hope so. Roll Eyes

Posts: 109057 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the B-21 will be more capable in every way, but hard to match the pure Cold War bad assery of the B-1B.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Another good article from Airforce Mag:

https://www.airforcemag.com/ar...es-out-of-the-black/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9440 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I look forward to seeing and hearing them overhead. The "sounds of freedom" are commonplace here with my proximity to both Ellsworth and the Powder River (multi-State) Training Complex (airspace) frequented with a variety of military aircraft beside the Bones.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16523 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

They better stop screwing around with the production numbers. That's how we ended up with 21 now 19 B-2's. And we are going to need more bombers if they are planning on retiring the B-1 and the B-52 in a couple decades.

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is a retread / upgrade (maybe) of the B-2.

I wouldn't use it to replace the B-52. That's been operating as a non-penetration bomb truck / cruise missile carrier. That role has proven useful. It may not be possible to do this when they finally decide the BUFF has had enough, but I'd replace it with a bomberized version of the 747-800F. Give it two huge bomb bays, and wing hardpoints, extra fuel tanks, in flight refueling gear, all the necessary electronics and countermeasures, etc., and put it in the same role. Of course the 747 line is shutting down, so they might not get the chance.

quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

They better stop screwing around with the production numbers. That's how we ended up with 21 now 19 B-2's. And we are going to need more bombers if they are planning on retiring the B-1 and the B-52 in a couple decades.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Anyone know why the B-21 was designed to only have a payload that is 1/2 that of the B-2 (30,000 lbs vs 60,000 lbs respectively).

With a smaller payload and presumably fewer planes, based on its cost, it seems like we are going backwards on overall Air Force capability. And that is without taking into account the future retirement of the B-1 and B-52.

It seems like we are spending more and more money on increasingly complex systems such that we can only afford fewer and fewer numbers. The USS Ford and now the B-21 come to mind.

Posts: 12578 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

I wouldn't use it to replace the B-52. That's been operating as a non-penetration bomb truck / cruise missile carrier. That role has proven useful. It may not be possible to do this when they finally decide the BUFF has had enough, but I'd replace it with a bomberized version of the 747-800F. Give it two huge bomb bays, and wing hardpoints, extra fuel tanks, in flight refueling gear, all the necessary electronics and countermeasures, etc., and put it in the same role. Of course the 747 line is shutting down, so they might not get the chance.

quote:
quote:

I don't think they are planning on getting rid of the B-52's anytime soon. But those planes still flying will probably be 70 to 80 years old when they retire them (airframe will be 100 years old). They will need something to fill the void and I haven't see any proposals yet.

They played with the idea of turning the 747 into a bomber years ago (or maybe it was to launch ICBMs). But like you said they are shutting down the line. I wonder how the 777 would work?

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I found this video of the B-52 several weeks ago on the upgrades and some of the history.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We used to call the USCG HH65 in the above video, the “whistling shitcan” due to the sound the rotor makes. These were the only helo that could land on our ships. The newer “Jayhawks” (a marine Blackhawk) was too heavy for any ships in service when I was in…not sure if the newer Cutters can handle the weight of them.

Little known fact is that every CG helo and fixed wing aircraft goes thru the only and largest airbase in Elizabeth City NC for annual inspection. They literally tear down each helo to its frame and rivets to inspect them for corrosion and certify them. I’m not sure what the fixed wing planes rotation is because they don’t get dunked of sprayed with seawater.

/drift

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11460 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The AF, and military in general, has been moving away from brute force to high precision. 15 tons of precisely placed ordinance can do much more damage than 30 tons of lower precision ordinance. And for nuclear delivery 15 tons is more than enough, considering the AFs standard nuclear bomb is 750 lbs.

quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Anyone know why the B-21 was designed to only have a payload that is 1/2 that of the B-2 (30,000 lbs vs 60,000 lbs respectively).

With a smaller payload and presumably fewer planes, based on its cost, it seems like we are going backwards on overall Air Force capability. And that is without taking into account the future retirement of the B-1 and B-52.

It seems like we are spending more and more money on increasingly complex systems such that we can only afford fewer and fewer numbers. The USS Ford and now the B-21 come to mind.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
No. They're talking about reengining the B-52s (again)

The could replace it with an airframe based on a twin engine airliner (for he role I described before.) And twin engine would be more efficient. But four engines would give it more redundancy.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

quote:
quote:

I don't think they are planning on getting rid of the B-52's anytime soon. But those planes still flying will probably be 70 to 80 years old when they retire them (airframe will be 100 years old). They will need something to fill the void and I haven't see any proposals yet.

They played with the idea of turning the 747 into a bomber years ago (or maybe it was to launch ICBMs). But like you said they are shutting down the line. I wonder how the 777 would work?

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
The B-21s are for deterance/nuclear first strike capability against top tier level enemy targets where air superiorty is contested or non-existant for the US. The B-1Bs and B-52s are used in theaters where the US has air superiority or where the weapon deployed (air launched cruise missiles, etc.) from the aircraft places the lauching aircraft safely away from enemy fighters/SAMs.

No need really to replace them. There really isn't ever going to be anything "better" at that specific role (much like the broadsword) until you get space based precision conventional bombardment capability.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2075 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-21 will have the capability to fly either manned or, unmanned; a giant leap in options for theater commanders looking to get a sizable amount of ordnance onto a contested target. The other feature that many are looking forward to, is it's networking capability and sensor suite. Like F-22 and F-35, the electronics are very impressive and the future of warfare, 150-200 mile air-to-air kills are just around the corner and networking is going to be key. Having a sensor node of some sort, deep inside enemy territory and being able to guide-in stand-off weapons or, provide a variety of electronics intelligence will be evolutionary.

B-1 will be retired in 10-years, maintenance issues have resulted in problematic readiness rates, as the pipeline for parts continues to shrink, same also for the B-2; USAF wants to start building the infrastructure for the B-21. Hard to believe but the B-2 has been in service over 30+ years, today it still looks a leap in design as when it debuted. The B-52 and its robust design, will carry-on in its role as a bomb/missile truck into 2050 and will be the primary launch platform for hypersonic weapons; it just recently got approval for new Royal-Royce engines along with upgrade sensors and radar.

Posts: 15056 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post