SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of hawk is this.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of hawk is this. Login/Join 
posted
I have several hawks that show up on my railing but can any of you tell me for sure if this is a Cooper’s hawk.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Red Shoulder

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They like mice

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54686 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Red Shoulder

Never heard of that but I looked them up and it’s spot on. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
They like mice

My wife always wants to scare them off because she likes watching the chipmunks.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
They like mice
Ours seem to favor chipmunks.

Posts: 6505 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours is a love/hate relationship.

It takes us a month to get dozen species of wild birds to our feeders
And then
A hawk will take out either a dive. A squirrel or mouse under or near the feeders and then
That's all she wrote for three mie weeks .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54686 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Red Shoulder Hawk it is. Of course Screaming Cockatoo needed no app like I did to identify it…lol.

I have three fantastic apps I use for identifying things and every time they are absolutely spot on!

Picture Bird - for identifying any birds and what I used to confirm this post.

Picture This - For identifying any type of plants or trees.

Picture Insect - For identifying any type of insect.

You just download the app for free and then use it to take a picture of the item you see in front of you or on screen from something someone posts and it does an amazing job of accurately identifying it.

The app is free, but a little tricky when you open it. As soon as you open it, it mentions to sign up for the service for a price but faintly hidden on the top right corner is “Cancel.” Click on the cancel and you then just continue with the app, take the picture of the item of interest, and get you result. I use all three apps all the time and love them!!!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
They like mice

I WANT a couple red shoulder hawks here!

I had to leave my Mule Pro MX outside two days while I worked on the ZTR and when I started it up today I saw a mouse run from underneath and it sounded like a coffee grinder. Pulled the intake to the CVT transmission and saw corn! I spent the whole afternoon removing rear and side covers that had to be removed first, panels, seat, air plenums, then pulling out the corn and nesting material with screw drivers, compressed air, and vacuum!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's a regal bird

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Red-shouldered Hawk

I'm skeptical...

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
Red-shouldered Hawk

I'm skeptical...

Looks more like the cold shoulder hawk....
LOL

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Red Shoulder

Never heard of that but I looked them up and it’s spot on. Thanks.

quote:
They like mice

Maybe you'd never "heard of" them before, but I'm betting you've HEARD THEM!!! Probably one of the noisiest hawks around. Very gabby!!! Wink

My wife always wants to scare them off because she likes watching the chipmunks.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post