SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Financially Free!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Financially Free! Login/Join 
posted
Ten years ago I was 27. My wife and I were married in a hasty ceremony because I had just been diagnosed with cancer. I would have been undergoing chemo on our planned wedding date.

We did what we had to do, and moved on. Building a life and marriage following the treatments. Finacially, we were strapped. Student loans, medical bills, mortgage...it was tough.

In the years since, I rebuilt my career. We began having kids, and my wife quit her job to stay home with them. My salary was wasn't huge, but it was enough for us. We have a hobby of going to garage sales every Saturday. We began buying things we thought we could make a buck on, and reselling them. We were diligent about saving and reinvesting our dollars into our hobby. In time, our saving grew immensely.

It's been 10 years, and we both have newer vehicles bought with cash. Student loans are paid, college for the kids is all but paid, and best of all, I just paid off my mortgage! 6 years ago we were living with my wife's parents while we shopped for a house, and now it's paid.

I count my blessings every day, enjoying my new freedom. It's taken lots of discipline, but we are 100% debt free.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting through your journey!

quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
...It's taken lots of discipline.

Yes it does. The quality of livelihood for you and your family will improve dramatically.

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
It's a good feeling paying off a mortgage.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mortgage been a thing of the past is certainly a good feeling. Seems like you and your wife are pretty sharp cookies. Congrats to the both of you (oh, kids too).

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I love stories where you turn a dollar in to 2 by hustling. Well done!

Posts: 4702 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great job -- love hearing stories like this!

Enjoy the debt free life; it is certainly well deserved.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1183 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Well done and congratulations! That’s a great accomplishment.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, you are 1 in ________. Fill in the blank - but it’s a big number.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

Amazing how simple the process is for someone not afraid to hitch up their pants and work hard.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! An example of what can be done with hard work and perseverance.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Way to go! That's fantastic.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Amazing effort on all fronts. Congrats to you guys. You have reason to be proud.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! An awesome achievement!

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Weirdo.

Seriously, big congrats!

Posts: 3441 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
A mortgage burning party sounds good to me. Congratulations!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Not much feels better than that.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Q

Posts: 26518 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats !!

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations
That's pretty impressive!

Posts: 1179 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post