SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pocket Knife recommendation
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Knife recommendation Login/Join 
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Mini Griptilian hands down.

This. I've carried a Mini Grip daily for about 4 years and it's been outstanding.

Sadly two days ago I lost it at work but I have a new one on the way. I'm carrying a Spyderco Tenacious until it arrives.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
ZT for EDC. SHARP! Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Spyderco fan and usually carry a Delica, Endura or Paramilitary 2. I have smaller Spydercos stashed in the vehicles and range bags as well. All of mine are either Japan or U. S. made.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
http://www.bladehq.com/item--B...68c5c0a502-198270757

This one looks interesting. Slim and sexy.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
So I've narrowed down to 3 knives here.

However, I will be visiting the Cutlery Plaza down the street....these are my 3 contenders...

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Z...ub-Frame-Lock--52150

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0456

http://www.benchmade.com/griptilian-family.html

Thank you all...and more suggestions are welcome!!!

Glad to hear you are going to check out Plaza.

The ZT0456 is a good knife but it is definitely not thin! It's actually got quite a beefy handle. Of course that means added comfort but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

The guy who designed the 0456 (Dimitry Sinkevich) also designed the 0452 and 0450 for ZT and they are much thinner.

He also co-designed the 0850 that is on your list with Todd Rexford. They are both top tier knife makers/designers.

I really think you will like the 0850.

The Griptilian family is fine but the 710 and 940 are both better Benchmades if you like the Axis lock. The Griptilian is definitely more of a starter knife in my mind. It's a lot of people's first nice knife along with stuff like the Kershaw Blur/Leek.

I love my Sebenzas but I carry my ZT0850 more often. It's just cooler.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying a Kershaw Boa for many years now, it was a hundred dollar knife when I bought it. A Kershaw Leek is a lot smaller, and also works for me when I want to carry a smaller knife.

Michigan has recently passed legislation making swithblades legal effective 10/10/17, I will then be carrying my Benchmade 9100 Stryker on that day. Cool

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I like the Spyderco Endura.
It's pictured with a P225 in the Forum opening page.
Serrated edge, positive lock, one thumb opening, non slip grip, light weight and dependability are it's traits.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

The Griptilian family is fine but the 710 and 940 are both better Benchmades if you like the Axis lock. The Griptilian is definitely more of a starter knife in my mind. It's a lot of people's first nice knife along with stuff like the Kershaw Blur/Leek.

Out of curiosity, what makes the Grip a 'starter' knife vs the 710/940?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The nylon handles. And the 154CM steel.

Those are both budget materials in Benchmade's line. But it's a good start to get into Benchmade's AXIS lock.

I've carried a mini griptillian for years and still carry it when the occasion for a basic knife arises. It's all the knife anyone ever really needs, but there is a certain satisfaction of carrying something a little more finely crafted, or of superior materials, or especially suited for a particular task. I have thinner knives that disappear in a suit jacket pocket, knives that deploy with an assisted opening to be used with my off hand (when carrying my gun on my right), knives that are beefier and clearly made for fighting, etc. I imagine all those other knives would be considered enthusiast knives, and the griptillian and mini-grip would be considered starter knives.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The nylon handles. And the 154CM steel.

Those are both budget materials in Benchmade's line. But it's a good start to get into Benchmade's AXIS lock.

Obviously a novice but I've had a knife with D2 and VG10 (not sure if that's considered better than 154CM but I think the 710 uses D2. Perhaps I need more time and my usages are probably not considered 'strenuous' but I actually like the 154cm. It's sharp, it stays sharp and it's easy to sharpen. At least relative to the VG10 and I think the D2 that I had.

I didn't realize that the Grip was considered a starter knife Smile But maybe that's okay for EDC (at least has been for me until now). The Grip is actually more than I want to spend but now you guys have me thinking about getting a finer, higher quality knife.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I find I carry my Benchmade Pardue 530 whenever I want something lightweight but functional (which is most of the time): http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Be...de-530-Pardue--485#B

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I love my Benchmade folder, unfortunately I don't have a clue what the model number is. I can try to look it up when I get home tonight. 3" blade, 6 3/4" overall.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Kershaw Ken Onion design with assisted opening that is faster than anything I have seen or used elsewhere. Metal body, I think it's an alloy, but might just be aluminum. exterior is textured with a skateboard tape type of surface for grip. Liner lock, in a clip point matte black blade. keeps a great edge, I can open and close it with one hand (strong side only due to how the liner lock site). Under 100 too.....

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
I carry a Benchmade Infidel and K-Bar 1480 TDI daily but really for most people Kershaw, SOG or Spyderco make excellent knives for far less than the budget you gave.

I've carried a Kershaw Brawler, a Kershaw Launch 1 and a SOG Flash II serrated and they are all excellent.

If you're going to the sandbox or elsewhere that you might ACTUALLY have to kill somebody with it, buy a Benchmade Infidel... for anything short of that, Kershaw and similar are plenty of knife.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go a different route, Check out the Opinel number 6 or 8, get one of the nicer woods. cheap but a great knife and it doesn't scare anybody ever, but it can be razor sharp.

Posts: 8148 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
So I've narrowed down to 3 knives here.

However, I will be visiting the Cutlery Plaza down the street....these are my 3 contenders...

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Z...ub-Frame-Lock--52150

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0456

http://www.benchmade.com/griptilian-family.html

Thank you all...and more suggestions are welcome!!!

Glad to hear you are going to check out Plaza.

The ZT0456 is a good knife but it is definitely not thin! It's actually got quite a beefy handle. Of course that means added comfort but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

The guy who designed the 0456 (Dimitry Sinkevich) also designed the 0452 and 0450 for ZT and they are much thinner.

He also co-designed the 0850 that is on your list with Todd Rexford. They are both top tier knife makers/designers.

I really think you will like the 0850.

I love my Sebenzas but I carry my ZT0850 more often. It's just cooler.

Dave,
That 0850 looks very cool indeed. These threads are so dangerous Wink

I have the 0450 and love it. If for some reason you should (also) choose one, have an extra deep carry clip that is from another ZT model and would gladly send it along to you. It'll disappear in your pocket.

Scurvy sir,
Thanks for your comments regarding the carry time of the 0850 relative to the Sebenza. If CRK should ever make a flipper, then gonna be all over that Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I love my Benchmade folder, unfortunately I don't have a clue what the model number is. I can try to look it up when I get home tonight. 3" blade, 6 3/4" overall.

That looks like a mini-griptillian with a tanto blade.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I didn't realize that the Grip was considered a starter knife Smile But maybe that's okay for EDC (at least has been for me until now). The Grip is actually more than I want to spend but now you guys have me thinking about getting a finer, higher quality knife.

It's like a Porsche Boxster. It may be a starter Porsche, but it's still a Porsche.

Same goes here. Benchmade makes a premium production knife. Their materials and fit and finish reflect their higher premium price. Their Griptillian may be at the bottom of their product lineup, but that's not because it's a bad knife. It's just that Benchmade's other knives are really, really nice.

It's not a "starter knife", it's a "starter knife" into the realm of really nice knives.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
but now you guys have me thinking about getting a finer, higher quality knife.
I blame the folks over in the Essential Edge for my overspending of late!

Posts: 6480 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

[pic snipped]

That looks like a mini-griptillian with a tanto blade.

Yep, that's it all right, thanks.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post