SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soft boiled eggs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soft boiled eggs Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
194 F for 8 minutes yields a nicely cooked white--and a thoroughly cooked yoke. Not yukky, but not what I'm looking for.

Do these people who post recipes actually eat their result?

Maybe it's just you. Razz
You can always try what works for you.
The key is that whites and yolks need to cook differently.
Vary the temp and time.
Generally a higher temp and shorter time will yield a harder white and softer yolk.
Better to experiment what works for you.
I've done slightly less then 194 in around 187 for 7 or 8 minutes that are pretty good when I made Scotch Eggs.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I do 6 minutes in boiling water (bring water to boil before putting them in). By the time they've cooled a bit to peel them, I figure they cook a bit more. And I like mine a little runny.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I do 6 minutes in boiling water (bring water to boil before putting them in). By the time they've cooled a bit to peel them, I figure they cook a bit more. And I like mine a little runny.

Yes. I start with room temp eggs, plunk them into boiling water for 7 minutes for one or two, and a bit longer for 3-4. But I quench them in ice water rather than letting them sit. I theorize this keeps things consistent rather than hot eggs sitting for unknown time. All the same each time.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I use the method that Jim Sugar (fucken autocorrect) Shugart posted, modified slightly. I use a steamer basket, otherwise just like the video.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have never had a soft boiled egg in my life; only hard boiled. I do eat over easy eggs. So what is the attraction to a soft boiled egg? I ask in all seriousness of being uninformed.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8756 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I use my Fagor stovetop pressure cooker to cook soft boiled eggs. It produces consistent results with consistent process. Less than ten minutes. It’s said that the pressure cooker method helps separation of the cooked egg white from the shell. I can’t attest to the truth of that because it’s been so long since I’ve used any other method.

I bought the Fagor at Macy’s. But I kept the 3/4” riser from my old Mirro Matic pressure cooker. It’s MUCH better than the flimsy wire “trivet” that came with the Fagor.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9474 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I have never had a soft boiled egg in my life; only hard boiled. I do eat over easy eggs. So what is the attraction to a soft boiled egg? I ask in all seriousness of being uninformed.

I think the yolk of a soft boiled egg tastes better than the yolk of a hard boiled egg. Same reason that I like eggs fried over easy instead of over hard. And you can’t dip your toast in the yolk of a hard boiled egg. Smile See the OP of this thread.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9474 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

you can’t dip your toast in the yolk of a hard boiled egg.
I tried that once. Came out sort of all crumbly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think the yolk of a soft boiled egg tastes better than the yolk of a hard boiled egg. Same reason that I like eggs fried over easy instead of over hard. And you can’t dip your toast in the yolk of a hard boiled egg. Smile See the OP of this thread.

I figured that was what the strips of toast were for. I guess I will give this a try. I do like to dip my bacon or toast in the yolk of an over easy egg, but it seems it is more well contained in a soft boiled egg now that I think about it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8756 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I can imagine a half-man/half-lizard sitting at the breakfast table, uncoiling a long, thin tongue to flick at the gelatinous goo in the open shell.

You like...tripping dude?

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
I can imagine a half-man/half-lizard sitting at the breakfast table, uncoiling a long, thin tongue to flick at the gelatinous goo in the open shell.

Best laugh I’ve had this week! God bless SIGforum – there’s nothing else quite like it.

Serious about crackers

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:

Best laugh I’ve had this week! God bless SIGforum – there’s nothing else quite like it.

Made me chuckle as well- thanks for the laugh. Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
don't cook them in a microwave.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Yes. I start with room temp eggs, plunk them into boiling water for 7 minutes for one or two, and a bit longer for 3-4. But I quench them in ice water rather than letting them sit. I theorize this keeps things consistent rather than hot eggs sitting for unknown time. All the same each time.

I start with cold eggs from the fridge, cover them with cold water, heat to boiling, then simmer for 3.5-4 mins. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and put them in a colander under the cold tap water. Makes perfect soft boiled every time for me.

Posts: 1768 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
don't cook them in a microwave.

‘Cuz here’s what happens…
https://youtube.com/shorts/hsyWKYBvH7c?feature=share

Serious about crackers

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

For me it's a family memory thing. Grandpa made them for me when I was a kid. It seemed so fancy with its own little stand and little butter knife thing to cut the top off. Felt like royalty eating something special.

Haven't had one in the little holder things in years, but every time I hard boil eggs one or two gets popped out early for soft boiled egg on toast.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post