SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New vehicle first oil change
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New vehicle first oil change Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
This subject has been beat to death on The Tacoma Forum. Consensus: None other than it's your money and your need for peace of mind so if you want to change earlier than mfg recommendations, go for it. It won't hurt anything

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My Honda Pilot is a 10K interval change vehicle, which always bothered me. 4 or 5 years back with 50K miles I DID go 10K and sent it in for analysis. They stated it was well within safe parameters for metal etc in the oil. And I had 4K left with that oil.

Been doing 10K changes ever since.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your not using Free
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
While I agree newer engines don't have as much contamination as engines in the past, for a peace of mind I do it sooner rather than later.

You're needlessly wasting $40, no sane individual would do that. Follow the damn manual!!!

Oil is cheap, I have the same thought process, get crap out from manufacturing and break in. My work vehicle is changed at 3,000 even though it's good to 5k. Cheap insurance.
Your wasting your money by not using Free Toyota care oil changes, and probably using an inferior oil.MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
With my 2016 Taco, I changed it at 1k, turn the recommended 10k. The oil is full synthetic and still looks good even at 10k. To do it more would be a waste of money IMHO.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BluePrint Engines recommends a break in oil for the first 500 miles and conventional oil for the first 6000 miles. Then synthetic after that, at 6000 mile changes or 3000 miles for heavy duty or dusty environments.

PDF link below.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/file...11518363283130774143

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Don't you love it when someone asks a question, then spends the rest of the discussion discounting the answers provided?

I've never had to crack an engine in my lifetime - and I've been here awhile. I also drive in some of the harshest environments oil will encounter. 250,000 to 300,000 on every vehicle and never a lick of engine maintenance. Sold them all at blue book or better.

No burning oil, either.

I've also never had to replace a fuel injector. Ever. And never had a mileage drop after break-in. But that's another story.

Do whatever floats your taco.

This thread could have ended at Trappers observation.

Next up, FrogLube or Breakfree CLP? Roll Eyes

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
First was at 3000, second was at 10000, from there on about every 10000 miles. I drive almost exclusively highway miles 40 or more at a time.

Blackstone labs test once a year, roughly every other change, confirm things are fine in there lube wise.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Don't you love it when someone asks a question, then spends the rest of the discussion discounting the answers provided?

And yet you couldn’t help but to post your opinion anyway, if it bothers you that bad move along. If you want to learn something then try reading the posts and you’ll see some factual information in my replies in order to address some wives tales. I could just not reply to the posts that are incorrect but I chose to share information instead of letting others believe non factual statements. Others have posted some good info too.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want to learn something then try reading the posts and you’ll see some factual information in my replies in order to address some wives tales.

Did you delete the posts with the factual information? I went through your thread three times now and I've missed it. I've seen others post that they have done UOAs that show their oil is doing fine with factory intervals and posts stating that the poster follows the manufacturer's reccomendations. Those are factual information based posts. There are other posts saying people feel better with their chosen shorter than manufacturer's recommended interval. Posts based on ones feelings are not factual information.

You referenced "studies" that show 5k being a good interval, but didn't provide any links. I'd like to see those as it could convince me to change my 13 quarts of oil sooner that the 7.5-8.5k the oil minder in my truck has worked out to be.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
If your keeping the car long term, I agree. Change out at 1k then 5k intervals. People like to rationalize their choices when it comes to oil changes but its hard to know whats best. I personally only trust that the manufacturer keeps the maintenance costs as low possible on paper to attract buyers while also getting the vehicle through the warranty period.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 407 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never had to crack an engine in my lifetime - and I've been here awhile. I also drive in some of the harshest environments oil will encounter. 250,000 to 300,000 on every vehicle and never a lick of engine maintenance.

OK I want to know exactly what engines those are. I'll buy them if there is some actual basis... I'm guessing your statistics are not the norm.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J387:
If your keeping the car long term, I agree. Change out at 1k then 5k intervals. People like to rationalize their choices when it comes to oil changes but its hard to know whats best. I personally only trust that the manufacturer keeps the maintenance costs as low possible on paper to attract buyers while also getting the vehicle through the warranty period.

So, you trust the manufacturer enough to spend tens of thousands of your hard earned cash on a new car that you expect to be reliable, but feel like they are lying to you about how to care for it? Bit of a disconnect there.....

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Some people sure do get bent over this don't they?
It's my car and my money, and it is not wasted if it gives me peace of mind.

I'll just relate my experience with my new Mazda.

When someone mentioned an early change on the Miata forum chaos ensued, particularly by a few who went ballistic, claiming you would do irreparable harm to the engine with an early change because of the "break-in oil" it comes with. Well, I started an e-mail campaign to get at the truth, eventually reaching an engineer in the factory in Japan where the car was built. He said there was no special break-in oil or any extra additives in the factory fill oil. He said the factory fill oil was EXACTLY the same Mazda 0-20 high molly oil available at Mazda dealers. He went on to say there was ZERO harm in changing it early. So I did, at ~1500 and again at ~4500.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is another reason for me changing at 5,000 miles: it's easy to remember... Big Grin

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Some people sure do get bent over this don't they?
It's my car and my money, and it is not wasted if it gives me peace of mind.

I'll just relate my experience with my new Mazda.

When someone mentioned an early change on the Miata forum chaos ensued, particularly by a few who went ballistic, claiming you would do irreparable harm to the engine with an early change because of the "break-in oil" it comes with. Well, I started an e-mail campaign to get at the truth, eventually reaching an engineer in the factory in Japan where the car was built. He said there was no special break-in oil or any extra additives in the factory fill oil. He said the factory fill oil was EXACTLY the same Mazda 0-20 high molly oil available at Mazda dealers. He went on to say there was ZERO harm in changing it early. So I did, at ~1500 and again at ~4500.

You heathen.... You changed the oil twice before recommended. Your entire life is fucked, you'll never amount to anything no matter how hard you try. Might as well just give up on life.

Or you spend a few extra bucks, possibly unneeded, but maybe possibly would help you engine. Oil is cheap, I'll err on the side of longevity.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've learned. You can change you're oil every 3k miles and you're engine may last 300k miles or it may not. You can change it every 12k miles and you're engine may last 300k miles or maybe it wont. You can play the safe odds or you can roll the dice and live on the wild side. What's it gonna be?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I leave the factory fill oil in the longest of all the oil changes. I’ll run that oil down to 5 percent. I WANT grit and metal shavings in the oil to break the engine in. After that first oil change I typically change the oil at 40-50% oil life left. For no other reason than I like changing the oil. I do it right, I have all the tools, and a full synthetic oil change cost me $20.

And one final point... following the recommendation from the EPA (who dictates what the manufacturer MUST recommend) will damage your engine in many circumstances. They are in the business of selling you a new car, not making sure you can run it reliably without issue for 300k miles. Long manufacture oil change intervals have damaged timing chains and other interior components. Some direct injection engines dump fuel into the oil, which doesn’t lubricate, and wipes out camshafts in short order. 5000 mile oil changes alleviate a lot of these issues.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
During the warranty period, I let the dealer change the oil when it's time. That way, if the motor decides to grenade itself, it's on them and there is also a record of them doing the oil changes.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by J387:

So, you trust the manufacturer enough to spend tens of thousands of your hard earned cash on a new car that you expect to be reliable, but feel like they are lying to you about how to care for it? Bit of a disconnect there.....

Yes, specifically in regards to the 10,000/1yr oil changes and possible negative effects on timing chain wear.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 407 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I had a brand new 4 runner changed all the oil myself never kept the receipts, had a cam shaft seize up because of a small oil hole which was a known defect in that year and Toyota wouldn't cover it because I couldn't prove the oil change intervel. allot to be said about having the dealer do the maintence.

Posts: 5598 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post