SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Political donations and voting...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Political donations and voting... Login/Join 
posted
After many years of observing our elected officials at local, state and national levels at "work", I have a modest proposal. It is based on the existing law mandating that judges recuse themselves from cases that they or family members have a financial interest extant.
I propose that elected officials at any level be required to recuse themselves from proposing or voting on any issue that they have received a contribution, in cash or in kind, directly or indirectly ,at or in excess of $100.00 from any party (corporate or individual) subject to the legislation.
Suggestions on how to avoid massive contributions to Prosecuting Attorneys (District Attorneys) who avow to violate criminal statutes are welcome.

Question:
Should elected officials be prohibited from proposing and/or voting on laws whereby they have received contributions in the amount or excess of $100.00?

Choices:
Politicians cannot vote in case of contributions
Politicians can vote in cases of contributions
It doesn't matter - all politicians are scrupulously honest

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Seems to me this would be pretty painful for those pro-2A candidates who always seem to be pitifully short of money (based on the frequency of their entreaties to me).

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Since I am running for a school board position, I have been following what is going on in all of the districts around us.

One district started construction an an $80 something million dollar high school (which is obscene in itself), but after construction was started doubled in price to $160 something million.

Their board had to vote on whether to stop construction or continue. Uniramous vote to continue.

After looking up their financial disclosures, what did I see as far as donors (to several members, not all)? Bricklayers Union. Electricians Union. Carpenters Union. Sheet metal Union. Etc. Weird groups to be supporting school board candidates, no?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Criminal.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Interesting chicken and egg idea. The less regulated an industry, the less it donates.

However, it’s also the only way the wealthy/companies have to fight back against the communists.

Posts: 5739 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Since I am running for a school board position, I have been following what is going on in all of the districts around us.

One district started construction an an $80 something million dollar high school (which is obscene in itself), but after construction was started doubled in price to $160 something million.

Their board had to vote on whether to stop construction or continue. Uniramous vote to continue.

After looking up their financial disclosures, what did I see as far as donors (to several members, not all)? Bricklayers Union. Electricians Union. Carpenters Union. Sheet metal Union. Etc. Weird groups to be supporting school board candidates, no?

And that's just what's on the record that you can easily follow.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Three issues:
  • they’d set-up alliances to get around it
  • there are instances where the involved and informed couldn’t vote but the uninvolved and uninformed could vote. Oil & gas would have 3 examples of this. (1) Very few states have refineries, but it would prohibit reps and senators from states with refineries from being able to vote and represent the interest of their constituents. (2)Very few states have oil and/or gas production so states without it would hold all of the cards. (3)Some of the reps and senators have worked in oil & gas so they have first hand knowledge (ie less likely to fall for nonsense) but they would not be able to vote if oil & gas friends supported their election.
  • you could donate money to the opposition so they can’t vote on the issues you disagree with. Another instance of not being able to represent constituents.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post