SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone updated their iPhone to iOS 16?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone updated their iPhone to iOS 16? Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No issues on my 12 pro this past week. my daughter has been running beta 16.1 on her 2020 SE with no issues. I'm about to switch to a 14 pro max because i need more space and miss the size of my previous phone (xs max). I might upgrade her to an SE gen3 to get her to 5G.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I'll let it update overnight.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a 7s

When I updated to 15.6.1 it took more than an hour and when it was finished it deleted all of my contacts, emails, text messages, photos and every app I purchased.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
No issues so far in my 12 max pro

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Just a little FYI.
My brother was a Apple distinguished educator and was sent to Cupertino two times for training on Apple's dime. He has been a Mac head from the beginning.

He told me years ago... before updating to close all Apps and shut down and restart. Then download and install the update.

Same for phone or Mac.

Does it matter? Don't know but it is pretty easy to do.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Upgraded my 13 Pro to iOS 16 with no issues. I thought there may have been a battery drain issue but I believe I was just obsessively watching the % battery icon. I did change settings to run in dark mode all of the time instead of automatically switching at sunrise/sunset. I realized I prefer the black background/white text with notes/messages.

The ability to ‘extract’ images from pictures is a pretty fun new addition to the software.

I’ll hold off for a year or so before going to the 14 Pro - but the new satellite-direct link for emergency calls when out of cell service is an attractive feature.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I have a 7s

When I updated to 15.6.1 it took more than an hour and when it was finished it deleted all of my contacts, emails, text messages, photos and every app I purchased.

I just finished the 15.7 update on my regular 7 and everything is still intact. Did you log into your Apple id?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
My 11 was running the 16 on beta program all year with no issues. I have my 13pro on 16 beta 1 right now and it's running like a top!

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Updated last night. Other than a new lock screen format, I have not noticed any changes.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
I updated both of our 12 Pro Max to 16. No issues for me.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Just a little FYI.
My brother was a Apple distinguished educator and was sent to Cupertino two times for training on Apple's dime. He has been a Mac head from the beginning.

He told me years ago... before updating to close all Apps and shut down and restart. Then download and install the update.

Same for phone or Mac.

Does it matter? Don't know but it is pretty easy to do.

Thanks. A good tip, I think. As you say, it’s easy to do and can’t hurt.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
After performing a back up, I updated my 13 Pro to 15.7 then to 16. Works fine. <snip>

Is there a benefit from updating to iOS 15.7, then to iOS 16, as opposed to updating directly to iOS 16?

ETA – I’m currently running iOS 15.5, so the question is relevant to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Updated last night. Other than a new lock screen format, I have not noticed any changes.

The voice to text works differently now.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Pulling down on the unlocked home screen used to present a search bar & keyboard, and a choice of recently used apps.

Since installing iOS 16, the recently used apps are no longer shown.

Why, Apple, why? Why remove a useful thing that worked well?
Also, not sure whether this is an iOS thing, or just MacOS: When a reminder window popped up, I used to be able to click on a "come back later" list that gave me a bunch of choices, including "tomorrow." Now, the most that I can defer a reminder, is one hour. Again, why, Apple, why? And on this topic, how difficult would it be to allow the user to specify a "come back later" time, instead of just presenting three or four hard-wired options to choose from?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Pulling down on the unlocked home screen used to present a search bar & keyboard, and a choice of recently used apps.

They haven't. They added the option. Go to Settings >> Home screen >> scroll down and turn off 'show search on home screen'. Your old search and list of apps is back where you left it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I did it on SE2 phone with no issues. I usually watch "Payette Forward" YT channel to see the nasty stuff switched back on or added. I didn't see some things they showed, so it might be applicable only to newer phones.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:

They haven't. They added the option. Go to Settings >> Home screen >> scroll down and turn off 'show search on home screen'. Your old search and list of apps is back where you left it.
Thank you.

This probably exists, but I haven't found it: A document published by Apple, listing changes like this, and explaining how to find them in "Settings."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm currently on 15.0
Do I have any reason to "update"?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I did the update. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the lack of change but consider that a good thing. So far not much difference.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also, not sure whether this is an iOS thing, or just MacOS: When a reminder window popped up, I used to be able to click on a "come back later" list that gave me a bunch of choices, including "tomorrow." Now, the most that I can defer a reminder, is one hour. Again, why, Apple, why? And on this topic, how difficult would it be to allow the user to specify a "come back later" time, instead of just presenting three or four hard-wired options to choose from?

Actually, it’s still there. If you look right above your taskbar at the bottom, the place where you could fast swipe between home pages has changed to a magnifying glass with the text “Search.” Hitting that does the same thing swiping from the top did.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post