SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm being sent to Israel!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm being sent to Israel! Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
Or SC is leading an Away Team™.
I can't say too much other than I've received a promotion and have to chaperone a technology team to Israel for training.
I hope to have a little time for shopping for trinkets.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Mazel Tov!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Haifa or Tel Aviv?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool.

How many IDF girls will fit in your return luggage?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There will be lots of trinkets that you can pay too much for, practice haggling before you go.

If you have the time, I'd visit Yad Lashiryon. It's a bit out of the way, but if you like armor (tanks, etc) it's probably one of the best mechanized warfare museums in the world. And the Israelis have had their share of first-hand experience. You can hit it on the way between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, if you travel between those two cities.

Tel Aviv itself has a military museum that's worth visiting. Officially it's the Israeli Defense Forces History Museum, IIRC, B'et Hou'useff was how it was pronounced.

I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations for the more common attractions, but those are two that don't often make the list for generic first time visitors, but may be of interest to you specifically.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd like to go. Have fun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Just don't let them make you wear a red shirt!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
n'siya tova! Or should I have written that from right to left?

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Smuggle us back some MId-East oranges when you return.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Smuggle us back some MId-East oranges when you return.

Jaffa Oranges!

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The few people I know and family that have gone say it is something they will never forget. And it was not the shopping that made the impact on them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think if I went, I'd never leave... Think they'd let me stay if I joined the IDF? Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool! They have trinkets like a Galil and a...

Hope you have a safe trip and come back safely.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
L’Chaim

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Have a good and safe trip!

Enjoy it, see as much as you can, in preparation for your range report on the trip.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Mazel Tov!

Schlemiel!
Schlimazel!!
Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!!!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I couldn't even begin to tell you what one thing/place to be sure that you do/see there as there are so many. It is THE most incredible place I have ever been.

Being a first-timer, I'd suggest hooking up with someone who knows the area well and have them take you around rather than striking out on your own. It is not difficult to find yourself in an area that you shouldn't oughta be.

Take your time, see as much as you can, and enjoy the food. Mmmmm...the food.... Hope you like bread. Wink

I can't wait to go back. Maybe next year (famous last words).

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Even though it's work sounds like a fun trip.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to Israel for work 2 years ago; it was a great trip. For shopping and if you're in the area, go to Joffa (old town/port), south of Tel Aviv. Awesome sights, just be careful after dark. Great, fresh seafood in Herzliya. My one regret is not making it to Jerusalem. Not sure where you're flying out of the US from, but it's a long trip and I left from NYC area. Have fun & good luck!

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Safe travels and enjoy.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post