SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attn Bakers: Cake problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attn Bakers: Cake problem Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I'm about to choke someone over this issue.

This is a yellow sheet cake recipe.

I added flour using weight, not volume measurement. During baking, the middle of the cake batter gets bumpy, while the outside edge is smooth and rising. The smooth portion starts to move towards the center, but by the time the middle starts to brown, the whole middle collapses, and then the timer is up. The middle is completely raw under the brown surface.

I'm at 6500ft above sea level. It seems like adding slightly more flour helps with this issue, at least with cookie recipes. Maybe I'll attempt this again the an extra 1/4 cup of flour.

DAMMIT. My "cake" looks like a rectangular subsidence crater. Mad

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Try looking here: link.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Try looking here: link.

That's typical of a lot of the same guides I've seen on this problem. The main issue is this: Try one or any combination of these 7 things! That would be great if I worked in America's Test Kitchen, it was my full-time job, had 6 ovens, and a team to help. Without all that, it's a little over-ambitious.

That means I have to re-bake this cake MANY times to hopefully find the combination that works. I did this cake 3 times in one day last year with a few changes in the process. After that I was done. I guess I just like punishing myself.

I'm thinking I'll cut the border and stack the pieces to make a small puzzle cake. At least I can frost that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You have to adjust for altitude, make sure you aren’t OVER BEATING/MIXING (adding too much air) the batter. I’d also recommend using cake flour over all purpose flour.

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You have to adjust for altitude, make sure you aren’t OVER BEATING/MIXING (adding too much air) the batter. I’d also recommend using cake flour over all purpose flour.

The recipe calls for cake flour, so that's what I used. I also mixed it to the letter as described (actually used a timer).

I seem to have much better luck with round cakes. I'm guessing the smaller, thinner pan helps with heat transfer. My 9x13s always have this issue to some extent.

Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Do you have a 1/4 sheet pan instead of a 9x13 dish? If you're going to use a 9x13 I would use a different recipe that isn't so heavy and only uses oil and not butter. Save it for the buttercream frosting.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
You think you have defeated me?? My children HUNGER!!

FUCK YOU, CAKE!

It's Miller time! Woooooo! I'm out.

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
Do you have a 1/4 sheet pan instead of a 9x13 dish? If you're going to use a 9x13 I would use a different recipe that isn't so heavy and only uses oil and not butter. Save it for the buttercream frosting.

Then we get into sentimental stuff. This is my daughter's favorite cake recipe. (at least the bit I've managed to salvage each time I make it)

The idea of the thinner pan isn't bad. I wonder if I could stack some layers from baking in a couple of thin rimmed baking sheets...

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
that is odd, and wish I could help,

however all the cakes I bake are Gluten Free (wife is Celiac) so I have not had that trouble,

curious tho,, do you have the same issues with a round pan?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
This is why rectangle donuts were invented.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I make that exact recipe occasionally. Is your oven temperature correct? I use a Thermoworks DOT thermometer and average the readings every minute for ten minutes after the oven indicates it has reached the desired temperature. I also use this pan: https://www.williams-sonoma.co...ijNP9oAaApOkEALw_wcB

It seems like a lot of effort for a sheet cake but it is really frustrating when they don't turn out.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried cooking at a lower temp?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

FUCK YOU, CAKE!

That’s awesome! You really showed it who’s boss, hah. Seriously, way to persevere. Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I was hoping you would have went with white frosting and added a zig-zag pattern in red.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
I make that exact recipe occasionally. Is your oven temperature correct? I use a Thermoworks DOT thermometer and average the readings every minute for ten minutes after the oven indicates it has reached the desired temperature. I also use this pan: https://www.williams-sonoma.co...ijNP9oAaApOkEALw_wcB

I did when the oven was brand new. Perhaps I should check it again now that it's broken in.

It seems like a lot of effort for a sheet cake but it is really frustrating when they don't turn out.

quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Have you tried cooking at a lower temp?

I did last year on my triple cake day. It took longer, but same result.

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I was hoping you would have went with white frosting and added a zig-zag pattern in red.

I was considering the chocolate with a smeared white streak, but nobody in the house would have gotten it but me. Smile

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Try grilling it next time; next to a 1.5" thick ribeye while drinking some Stone IPA.

Kids will understand - eventually. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I do not bake a lot of cakes so this more of a baker's intuition than practical experience.   I may have a go at it using a glass baking dish.  The local library has an ATK cookbook so I will check that out if available Tuesday.  And look at some other books.

The ratio of liquid to dry seems kind of high.  More flour surely is necessary. 

I would seperate the egg whites and yolks.  For the whites, whip souffle style with tarter sauce to add some acid and stiffness.  Fold into the batter after the  mixing. 

Use one cup of sugar.

Increase the baking soda to 1/2 teaspoon, or 3/4 teaspoon.

No vegetable oil, or half.

Place on a lower rack.  Try temperature of 375'.  Surely that aluminum pan takes time to heat.

Good luck!  And investigate older recipes like BC and GHK.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwelch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

FUCK YOU, CAKE!

Improvised, adapted and overcame.

Posts: 268 | Location: Conyers, Ga. | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bring butter, eggs and liquids up to room temp?

recipe link won't open for me so I can't see if that's mentioned

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
bring butter, eggs and liquids up to room temp?

recipe link won't open for me so I can't see if that's mentioned

It didn’t, but I did anyway.