SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attn Bakers: Cake problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attn Bakers: Cake problem Login/Join 
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
How old are your leaveners (baking soda & baking powder)? Is it possible that they are stale?

Looking at the recipe & accompanying video on the ATK site - they stress that you want to use bleached flower for the best results (unbleached flour is said to make a denser / crumbier cake).

They also point out that the cake is a high ratio cake - in regards to sugar / flour ratio -- needing more sugar than flour.

Only mentioning this as you were going to try to increase the flour amount. If you do, you may want to toss in some more sugar as well.

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'd say less than a few months old. I try to keep an eye on that and bake fairly regularly.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

I would seperate the egg whites and yolks.  For the whites, whip souffle style with tarter sauce to add some acid and stiffness.  Fold into the batter after the  mixing. 

That sounds a little fishy to me Smile. You meant cream of tartar correct?

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
What BlackTalonJHP & snwghst said...also, if ingredients are old, such as baking powder, it will have an adverse effect.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Try giving my good friend Shani a buzz.

Tell her I sent you.

Begin with Butter Contact Page

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Try giving my good friend Shani a buzz.

Tell her I sent you.

Begin with Butter Contact Page

-Rob

I think I'll do that when I get home. Thanks!

Some other good suggestions in the thread, also. I'll wait until I'm not so pissed off at that damn cake before trying again.

The fucking cake will NOT win.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you check out https://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/

The cakes she makes are to die for and most of her recipe's are home brewed.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

Awww, yeaaahh. Boozy Baileys Chocolate Trifle. Key Lime Pie. Banana Cream Pie. Ice Cream Cakes. Bundt Cakes. Smile
I'll be in my kitchen.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

Awww, yeaaahh. Boozy Baileys Chocolate Trifle. Key Lime Pie. Banana Cream Pie. Ice Cream Cakes. Bundt Cakes. Smile
I'll be in my kitchen.

Hah!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Here is the Yellow F. Sheet Cake recipe from the ATK book. I blipped over the active part. I still think that more flour and baking soda are needed.

ATK, The Perfect Cake, YFSC  page 105.

2.5 cups cake flour
1.75 cups sugar
1.25 teaspoons baking powder
.25 teaspoon baking soda
.75 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk, room temp
3 large eggs, seperated
3 large yolks
10 tablepoons melted butter, unsalted
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch, cream of tartar, not sauce

9"x13" sheet, 325F, 28-32 minutes.

Whip egg whites with CoT, .25 cup sugar.
Mix dry ings in a bowl.
Mix wet ings in a bowl.
Combine then fold in egg whites.  Bake.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post