SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Being anonymous (specifically, not being found on internet searches)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being anonymous (specifically, not being found on internet searches) Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Maybe an attorney question...

Is there a way to buy a home through a trust, and have all one's address links be tied to a post office box?

My wife and I will be buying a home in the coming months. Yesterday an officer from my agency was involved in a shooting, and within hours protesters were at their house.

I hope to never be in that position, but I was wondering if, with an upcoming address change, there is some way to distance myself from being directly linked with the address.

I know things like voter's registration, driver's license (in my state), etc. require a residential address instead of a P.O. box, but I figured I'd bounce it off the all-knowing.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
After Mercedes Girl ran a red light and rammed my truck, I googled her name and the entry popped up on a registered voter website (that's how I knew she was a Democrat Wink).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I know of a number of "family trusts" that own real estate. Unless someone knows the trust name, finding the property in public records wouldn't be easy.

Posts: 2458 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
I know of a number of "family trusts" that own real estate. Unless someone knows the trust name, finding the property in public records wouldn't be easy.

I think that would be the easy part. Keeping the property disassociated with your name.

But keeping your name disassociated with the address seems like it would be much more difficult. Impossible, even, without using a fake...or less than accurate...alternative address for things that require a physical address to be provided.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Damn shame that leo's have to put up with this shit.
Raise your chillens right and they will be no need to protest and tell all who will listen how great your little after birth was.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Seems like a common-enough requirement that there must be companies/agents that will accept mail, provide an "address of record," etc. If you already have a relationship with a lawyer, you might start there.

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Seems like a common-enough requirement that there must be companies/agents that will accept mail, provide an "address of record," etc. If you already have a relationship with a lawyer, you might start there.

My agency specifically requires that my correct physical address be displayed on my drivers license.

That alone is absolutely damning. It's enough to make me pop up on any internet search. Mental exercise in futility, I suppose.

Interesting thought, nonetheless.

-JALLEN

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

My agency specifically requires that my correct physical address be displayed on my drivers license.

That alone is absolutely damning. It's enough to make me pop up on any internet search. Mental exercise in futility, I suppose.

Interesting thought, nonetheless.

I agree, it completely sucks that you, or any officer, would even need to consider this.

With that, as soon as you file anything of public record your address is there. Then it's just a matter of how little Din Do Nuffin's parents and 300 of his/ her friends get that information from some unscrupulous source (legal eagle, other officer, politician, etc.).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Chongo,

I heard about a NCGS years ago for LEOS that allowed us to have some anonimoty. It allowed us to use a different address on license and things to that nature but I was never able to find it myself. It can be done and is probably well worth hiring a paralegal student at the community college to find it for you.

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that would be the easy part. Keeping the property disassociated with your name.

But keeping your name disassociated with the address seems like it would be much more difficult.

This is exactly right.

Imagine all of the things that you use your address for, and then assume that most of those that have your address are peddling their database to others. Before you know it that info has spread like wildfire. All it takes is once, and then everybody knows.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not to far from that shooting.
I was just leaving a random mandatory piss test.

Back in the day when I lived in Cols, OH I knew many high school friends and their fathers who were Columbus PD, State Troopers, Probation Officers etc.. They all used the Police HQ as their address on their license and anything else.

Also in the phone books (white pages) their names were deleted or under alias. But of course that was back in the day when everything didn't go on the internet and people actually had a right to privacy.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just googled my name and a white pages website came up that showed my name and shows who I am related to such as:

My sister her married name along with my father and mother.

I could care less about me but I hate the fact that they show my relatives names.

The internet is great but sometimes I wish it would implode and never be heard from again.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yes you can but instead of a PO BOX get a box at a UPS store.
You will get a physical address (of the store) and a box number listed like an apt number.
Have all of the public info stuff sent/registered there.
UPS will not give up your info without court orders.

You still won’t be anonymous (you never will in today’s society) but will add some more steps.

Also mortgage interest write off on the taxes will likely be no more.

An LLC vs trust is also a possibility.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on your lender and what they will allow and how deep you want to go. I am an underwriter at a private bank and we have many celebrity clients. We do a lot of loans to blind trusts. Where the trust is something named very non descriptive like “ the beer bottle trust” seriously. Something totally kooky. Anyway. A lawyer is the trustee but the beneficiary and trustor is you and your wife. You name doesn’t show up at all on any public recorded documents.

Easier would be create a LLC to hold title in. Again if your lender will let you. You may need to find a small bank that can deal with that a 30 fixed from a mortgage broker is likely not to be the solution in this case. As part of my job I have access to a pretty robust public records search engine. I can search by name or address. If I put in your address I can see all the purchase and mortgage and recorded documents history. So it’s important that you put it in the trust or LLC at the time you buy. If you take title in your name and THEN put it into a trust or LLC your name will show up on a property search as a prior owner.

It’s tough to scrape yourself completely.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
Just so you know that the professional activists are exceptionally good at doxing people. My personal belief is that many of them get inside help.

Just keep that in mind.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 380Swift:
Just so you know that the professional activists are exceptionally good at doxing people. My personal belief is that many of them get inside help.

Just keep that in mind.

Absolutely right, It's too easy these days because everything is networked. Especially when there are activists embedded in just about every level of government and media who work together to mine information from data bases for targeting purposes.

I spent a few years as a private investigator in three different states. I wish we would have had the internet when I was on the job. What information took a week of tailing and stake-outs to accumulate can be done in an hour online. It's harder than ever to stay low-profile these days when even cable companies and gun permits require a physical address. Then, if you ever sell anything on line, your info is searchable for months. I can find out more in 10 minutes from Facebook then I could in a week of surveillance; where they work, where they play, what they look like, who their friends and family are, where they are going for the weekend and what they had for breakfast. Staying anonymous will take a total commitment and even then, if they have inside help, it is hard to be invisible.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
ElToro, how does a trust borrow money or buy/lease a vehicle?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My county has a GIS (mapping) site where you can type in any address and look up the information for that property. the map displays property boundaries, etc... You can click on a parcel of land it it shows you who owns it, etc...

There's 1 property in my neighborhood that is blank. It's the only property I know of that shows absolutely no information. Come to find out (through the grapevine) the owner is an undercover Denver cop. He has all of his info removed since he deals with drug dealers, etc...

No idea how he did this, but apparently there's a procedure for it. I never cared enough to see if I could find out other info about him. One way would be to see if yoru county has similar info and ask them about it.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's 1 property in my neighborhood that is blank. It's the only property I know of that shows absolutely no information. Come to find out (through the grapevine) the owner is an undercover Denver cop. He has all of his info removed since he deals with drug dealers, etc...

See? All of that effort and everybody still knows.

The only way to almost completely disappear is to be a complete dirtbag that owns or owes nothing. You can't be a consumer in today's world and be totally anonymous.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You could buy a house through a trust and that might make it harder to track you through the real property records, but you would probably be fairly easy to track in so many other ways, that it wouldn't help much.

Consider your co-worker. Even if he was not associated on-line with his address, any one could simply follow him until he went home. Not too hard, is it?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post