SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Being anonymous (specifically, not being found on internet searches)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being anonymous (specifically, not being found on internet searches) Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Hiding from the internet

Lots of useful stuff in that book.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Not sure about NC, but here in Texas LEOs can have the address on their license be their department’s address and not their home address. Also any property tax appraisal information, which someone can search to find where you live, can be made confidential and not visible to anyone or the information sold to data companies. Might be worth seeing if those options are available.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We have a family trust. AZ allows a PO Box on operators licenses and auto registration. AZ voter registration unfortunately requires the actual physical address. AZ CCW permits are not public record (unless that's changed). When I was working a provision allowed some anonymity for officers, especially UC. We used UC cars/registration and carried UC operators licenses, never our own.

But every document one has ever signed pertaining to real property becomes public record. Every name that one uses as a reference on those records may be revealed along with the relationship. Social media is another matter. If one chooses to put their personal lives on social media, it's on the user.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
[quote] My agency specifically requires that my correct physical address be displayed on my drivers license. [quote]

That does suck. Every Cincinnati cop I've rented a truck to has the address of the PD district they are based out of on their license.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be worth a call to the appraisal district/ tax assessors office. In Texas they will delete you from public records if you are LEO, Judge, Ems, etc. I’d be curious if they had a similar program in your state.

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are able to use agency address on DL and registration or on request both will come up blank when running DL or tags. Property appraiser’s office has a form here in Broward County (south Florida) so we can use an alias for property searches. But I gave up doing that a few years ago as there were always ways around it if you are at all internet savvy. One of my married buddies just uses Private PO boxes and house somehow is under wife’s name only and she kept maiden name just for that reason.

Posts: 341 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
You can place the house in a trust, declare your homestead provision, and if it is your only home some states have a tenant by the entirety provisions in the law, have your attorney file a motion to impound the contents of the trust, have him or her cite the case you referenced after shooting and even bigger events like Ferguson.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, Ohio has a provision at the burea of motor vehicles to set our plates and licenses to our agency address. I went through this years ago during a wrongful death lawsuit. Had assholes show up at my new house (just moved after my divorce). My next house will be in a trust. I’ll keep my current one for mail and storage.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn near impossible.
Do a Zaba search, see what comes up.
Want to really go Eek ? Lexus-Nexus.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Damn near impossible.
Do a Zaba search, see what comes up.
Want to really go Eek ? Lexus-Nexus.

Oh, I know.

That’s my point though. I know I’m about to move, for the last time until I retire. Looking for ways to make this my last known address for as much as I can.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pull the pin, change your name to "John Smith" on paper, then move, disappear...
In today's digital/ internet day and age, it's damn near impossible to be anonymous.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Create a land trust, then create an LLC.

Nestle the LLC under the land trust as one of the beneficiaries.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your state has a strong victim advocacy group there may already be a protected address statue on the books(usually for victims of domestic violence or sexual assault). They may have something written in that provides an official address for D.L., and other official documents. Perhaps they have a subsection allowing l.e. To use the mailing address. If not have your state l.e. Unions start soliciting your legislators to get something signed into law.

Good Luck!

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post