SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garbage Disposals - Air or Wall Switch?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garbage Disposals - Air or Wall Switch? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
The subject line says it all...

What does the hive mind prefer and why?

Thanks in advance.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Air?? Not familiar with that in relation to disposals.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Had to google it to see what an air switch was.

I would definitely go with the air switch and the button being right there on the sink. That would be great!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I added a disposal a number of years ago. My Neighbor, a plumber/contractor, bought it for me and included an air switch. It works perfectly every time and has different buttons to match your decor. Go for it.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've only ever had wall switches, since the disposal has always been pre-installed in every house/apartment I've ever lived in. But I do think air switches look nicer, so if I were building/remodeling a kitchen, I'd likely go with that.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did a remodel and used a wireless remote switch.

We did an Island and my wife was adamant she did not want a hole in our Quartzite top.

A wall switch was out because it is in an island.

So I had two choices,

Put a switch mounted above the cabinet door opening below the sink. I have done that in the past or a remote switch.

We went with a remote switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Didikit...id=1595252172&sr=8-6

It plugs into the outlet below the sink where the disposal would plug in and the disposal plugs into that.

We have had it about a 8 months without any problems.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Depends. I often like wall when it can be put on the wall behind/side of the sink.

Air can look cleaner but does require a hole in your countertop.

If you're going with a tiled backsplash and it would be the only switch on the wall there I would look at the Air option. If there is going to be a switch there for say under cabinet lights I would just make it a double box and put the disposal switch in there also.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
So it sounds like nobody has had reliability issues with air switches?

I'm having the wiring done fresh for this, so there's definitely a certain appeal to the ease of just putting a box under the sink vs. wiring a wall switch to it as well.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Air Switch is our last two kitchens (remodel & new build). No problems, other than one time the line got knocked off by my wife, easy fix.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Air switches are usually only used in remodels or very high end homes, new homes will almost certainly have a switch unless is for a second sink in an island. If there is wall space I prefer the wall switch, as stated an island you have to do air switch.

As far as aesthetics goes, unless you are going with plugmold for your outlets you are going to have outlets all over your backsplash so removing one of 15 electrical devices on your wall isn't going to change anything.

I have not heard of any problems with air switches in the past on installations I have done, but they may have called the plumber instead of the electrician if there was a problem.

I'll add one last thing which is the major reason why I would not want to have the air switch. Let's say you drop a shot glass, your wife drops her ring, someone puts their hand in it (very unlikely, I know). I would want the fastest way to shut if off possible to prevent damage to the disposal or to items in it that you don't want damaged. Air switches take a second or two longer to shut off and are not as intuitive for people who have never had or used one before.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
plugmold for your outlets

Slight thread drift: I've never seen that before, but that seems like a great idea!

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
plugmold for your outlets

Slight thread drift: I've never seen that before, but that seems like a great idea!

You mount it directly under the cabinets, then replace breakers with GFI breakers to provide GFI protection. Makes for a very clean look. Only downside is that keep that clean look you have to unplug the appliances when not in use or you have a cord dangling down from your upper cabinets.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Air switches are cheap and dependable enough, exact same thing as used in Jacuzzi, hot tubs etc for decades for safety. Isolates you from any possible electrical contact in a wet location, however, I prefer and have almost always used a wall switch in the backsplash. There is another option... but it sucks IMO. That is a batch fed disposal... if they still make them. The switch is built into the disposal's drain plug and it will only run when you insert the plug and twist it to the on position, I have put in a couple of those.

At the request of the customer I have had to put a switch in the front of the base cabinet, despite my advise against it, a couple times. They think it will be really handy, it is, too handy. It is easy to accidentally rub against it and turn it on while working at the sink. Also have seen several put inside the under sink cabinet so you have to open the door to get to it... who the heck thinks that is good idea other than a lazy installer avoiding fishing a wire in the wall and cutting the switch into the backsplash.

Here is a pic of my setup as I did when remodeling. Disposal in the left side of the double sink... with its switch to the left of the sink. Switch on the right is for the pendent lights over the sink.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kitchen remodel a couple of years ago. I wired power under the sink for a touchless faucet and air switch disposal. Bought the switch at Lowe’s. Zero issues.

I didn’t like the switch on the wall.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
air switch

Huh. Never heard of such a thing until now. Cool.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
We installed an air switch when we remodeled our kitchen when we purchased our home a few years ago. Love having the button right next to the sink and it has worked flawlessly.

It's the flush button to the top left of the sink.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have had the insinkerator switch for about 20 years. No issues. The only thing is that while the switch housing is basically watertight (no water through the switch to inside the counter), the switch does allow for water into the water housing (water can get in between the housing and the button).

So, occasionally need to remove the button and clean out the mildew and such inside. Would be nice if the button/housing was hermetically sealed above the counter.

I've been thinking about relocating it to the front of the cabinet under the sink. Low priority though...

I have a similar switch for a spa bath tub. Doesn't work anymore. And I can count the number of times I've used it over the past 20 years. Can't replace w/out lifting out the bathtub. If I fix it someday. it'll be a wall switch.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I just checked... My new house I'm buying on Friday has an air switch. Big Grin

Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
We have a wall switch, was not aware of an air switch. I will follow this thread and do a little reading about it but for now wife has a wall switch Big Grin

I will admit our disposal is not used very much due to we are on an septic system.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of one until a contractor wanted to put one into our 2nd home remodel. We have one of each type and seriously, there is no real difference to speak of. They both turn on the Garbage Disposal they are wired to.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post