SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best fuel injector cleaners (gas additives)?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best fuel injector cleaners (gas additives)? Login/Join 
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted
Greetings,

Any of the 'top rated' fuel injector cleaners out there more than just hype and marketing to change the ol' family hauler into a Ferrari?

Lucas? Sta-Bil? Chevron? Other?

Any worth it/actual noticeable improvement without negative side effets?

What say you?

Thanks in advance,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4992 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Chevron Techron fuel cleaner for at least the last 10 years, or more. It works for me. I buy it by the case and keep it on hand all the time. It helps clean carbs also.

Posts: 6717 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Techron, Redline, or Liqui Moly are the only ones I'd pour into my tanks.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2282 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I do believe I read somewhere a long time ago that Techron was the only one worth using.

So I do. I keep some handy in case I have to fill up with non-Top Tier gas. The engine gets a bottle of Techron first to make up for it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I have been using Chevron Techron fuel cleaner for at least the last 10 years, or more. It works for me. I buy it by the case and keep it on hand all the time. It helps clean carbs also.

This is the only thing that has consistently worked for me. And having an older bike with 6 carbs that don’t get used as often anymore I have tried them all. And yes I am aware you asked about injector cleaning. It also cleans those.

Posts: 4448 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Lucas. JB used to make some good stuff but I haven't used it for some time.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Polyetheramine (PEA) is the ingredient that you want, and Redline has the highest percentage.

Posts: 8276 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I too like and use Lucas. I do not know about it being the best but have used it for years. Is available and affordable and has been beneficial as far as I am concerned.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19764 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Chevron Techron because it has the wonder drug for cars and motorcycles, Polyether Amine based detergent that Chevron / Oronite invented.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Techron, but not more than once per oil change. I buy them when the local auto parts store has a BOGO on the large bottle.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
If you do get the Techron, make sure it's the Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It has the higher concentration of PEA compared to the other Techron formulations. I still use Redline as it supposedly has the most PEA.

Posts: 8276 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chevron techron....it's so good Yamaha has them make it for them and branded under the Yamaha label. Put it in when you're going to run through the entire tank of fuel right before a oil change.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
Polyetheramine (PEA) is the ingredient that you want, and Redline has the highest percentage.

How do you know that's actually the case ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

How do you know that's actually the case ?

How do I know what's actually the case?

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Plenty of head to head comparisons on YouTube. For example:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No gas additive will take an already good-running engine and make it any better. Having said that, Chevron Techron has a good reputation. Also check out BG Products 44K. BUT - I have put over 400,000 miles collectively on port fuel injected cars and trucks and have never had a problem with the injectors, even running E10 gas. My vehicles do get driven daily and don't have time for the gas to go stale. However, these products aren't that expensive, you don't need them every tank of gas, and - kind of like the 500 or 1000-mile oil change on a new car - if they give you peace of mind, you can't put a price tag on that.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Techron is easy to find and priced reasonably. BG 44k is the best but harder to find and more $

Posts: 456 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Among car enthusiasts, the one I've heard brought up the most is Chevron Techron. I use it around every oil change. I've also used the Amsoil fuel injector cleaner even though it's quite pricey and also Sea Foam.

Posts: 13313 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Techron on a regular basis, but occasionally throw a can of Seafoam in the tank of the old Ram truck.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I wondered if anyone was going to mention Sea Foam. I have been going back and forth between that and Techron for years. I can't say how much good they do but a mechanic once recommended one or the other to me, and they don't cost much.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2164 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post