SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best fuel injector cleaners (gas additives)?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best fuel injector cleaners (gas additives)? Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
bg44k

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Techron.

Posts: 796 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Looked into it a little further...my vehicle manufacturer has its own 'OEM' fuel system cleaner, which is probably made by one of the others and branded with their own labelling. So I expect I'll be using that.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4992 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Lucas. I buy it by the gallon and refill the small bottles, which brings the cost down to about 1.50 per bottle. I go through 3 bottles a week.

Posts: 2061 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The last testing on FI cleaners I saw Redline was #1.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
When I get past the warranty, I may go with one of the other brands (probably Techron), but for now, sticking with 'OEM' is best way to go, especially as we're only talking $15 (yes, overpriced, but the 'kit' comes with 3 different items).

Thanks for all the replies, hopefully some others got some benefit.

Cheers,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4992 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local mechanic recommended BG products. They offer their own warranty. Seems to work on our vehicles. Good improvement in mileage.

Posts: 1692 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
Polyetheramine (PEA) is the ingredient that you want, and Redline has the highest percentage.

How do you know that's actually the case ?

How do I know what's actually the case?

That Redline has the highest percentage. I know PEA is the ticket, and would like to buy Redline if it really does have the highest percentage. How did you determine it specifically.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
So far I haven't found a source for PEA itself in small quantity, IF PEA alone out of a bottle would do the trick in a gas tank. I don't actually know if the chemistry for PEA in a gas tank is that simple, or if it needs to be blended in order for the chemistry to bind to the dirt and carbon. I think I remember reading that that PEA is fairly miscible with other petrol based fluids, but where is an industrial chemist when you really need one ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
So far I haven't found a source for PEA itself in small quantity, IF PEA alone out of a bottle would do the trick in a gas tank. I don't actually know if the chemistry for PEA in a gas tank is that simple, or if it needs to be blended in order for the chemistry to bind to the dirt and carbon. I think I remember reading that that PEA is fairly miscible with other petrol based fluids, but where is an industrial chemist when you really need one ?

Unless you're buying gasoline in Haiti. I don't ever expect to find dirt in it. There most likely is no reason to use injector cleaner......I've never had any injector issues with gas engines and many many different vehicles.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, a reputable gasoline alone keeps injectors from fouling. When you purchase major global brand gasoline in premium grade you are receiving excellent cleaning chemistry in every gallon.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Believe it or not, a reputable gasoline alone keeps injectors from fouling. When you purchase major global brand gasoline in premium grade you are receiving excellent cleaning chemistry in every gallon.

Why would someone buy premium grade gasoline when their car doesn't need it. They'd be throwing money out the tailpipe.

Posts: 8276 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Used them all and BG44 is the best, IMO.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Click and Clack used to recommend Techron.

As for - does injector cleaner work? I think it can, for some problems. I had a Saab back in the day that ran very rough at idle; put in a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner, and two days later it ran smoothly. I've used injector cleaners ever since, but only once every couple of months. Both cars (VW, Jeep) run great.

BTW, it does not make sense to put injector cleaner in your tank right before a trip or a lot of driving; it just gets burned up in the gas. It does its job at rest, when sitting in the injectors and fuel lines, so put it in when you will be doing around-town driving and the engine will be sipping from the tank.

Final thought - since some of the injector cleaner may end up in the oil - when I put it in a car, I do so in the last week or two before an oil change.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post