SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Veterinarians lend me your ear
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Veterinarians lend me your ear Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Rock the wonder dog blew up last Saturday and I attested it to finding a 1/3 of a rawhide bone in the yard when I mowed. It came from the neighbors minions who threw it over the fence. This is a normal reaction to him eating rawhide. And why he doesn’t get it anymore.
But he’s had a loose stool since then.
I sprayed the yard to get rid of crabgrass and other weeds, and I’m wondering if he ate some of the poisoned grass-sometimes he eats grass for whatever reason.

Can I give him a dose of Imodium?

I’m gonna mow today so he won’t have a chance to keep grazing.

I did get him a new bag of dog food, but it’s the same stuff he always eats Purina pro plan..the one with the retriever on it and it’s chicken and rice formula.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best at home treatment for a pup with the shits is Pepto and probiotics/plain yogurt. If that don't work go see the Doc.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by horsedoc:
Best at home treatment for a pup with the shits is Pepto and probiotics/plain yogurt. If that don't work go see the Doc.

The spray is not likely the problem.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Rawhide bones can be death waiting to happen. If left outside and rained on, they become a soft piece of leather which the dog can swallow.

The results can be a blocked intestine.

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ra...-or-bad-for-your-dog

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
We use a small dose of Imodium or Kaopectate.

Watch for other signs of distress but that normally works. Sometimes we have to switch to a bland boiled chicken and rice diet for a day or two.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t do that. Frankly, I’d miss a feeding (fast) to give his tummy time to settle, then a small amount of pumpkin puree or rice/boiled chicken. Build back up slowly. I think it’s more your new bag of food. Check the lot#, maybe call where you purchased and see how it was stored or if there was any recall.
Also was this the pup that has anxiety with loud noises?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
horsedoc is a vet, I bet he knows what he's talking about. Wink

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Not a vet, but have too many dogs and much experience with vets. I do remember multiple vets saying some things are okay and others are not for dogs. I’m pretty sure that the current vet favored kapectatolin over Pepto Bismol, but I don’t remember her reasoning.

Our first step (per the several vets’ advice) is the dog missing a meal to give the stomach a break. If things don’t settle down, then a bland diet of boiled ground turkey and rice follows until they do settle down. Fun and games…

Good luck getting your pup back on an even keel quickly!

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Small meals for a few days with this: https://www.chewy.com/purina-p...inary-diets/dp/50029

(No prescription needed)

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post