SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brighton Ski Resort offers a special season pass for snowflakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brighton Ski Resort offers a special season pass for snowflakes Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Seriously, what the freak? I ran across this on Brighton's website yesterday while checking out lift ticket prices.

Apparently millennials are neither young adults or adults; they are in a class of their own. According to the people at Brighton, you aren't an adult until you are 31 years old. I mean really, this is pathetic. "New for 2018!" Roll Eyes

I just want to say though that Brighton is my favorite mountain in Utah, but I find this kind of silly and sad.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30447 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
lol

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
The pricing doesn't make sense...unless you're an Adult who racks up a huge number of days, you're getting screwed Eek Whereas, I would think Young Adult/Youth would definitely put more in more days on average.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4339 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
The pricing doesn't make sense...unless you're an Adult who racks up a huge number of days, you're getting screwed Eek Whereas, I would think Young Adult/Youth would definitely put more in more days on average.

Well, they figure as an adult you likely have a decent paying job at that point and can afford it.

They seem to realize also though that millennials still sleep in mommy and daddy's basement because they majored in social justice or pottery.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30447 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I wonder what they would charge if they had any real snow? This is the leanest year for snow I can remember for a while.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Seniors have to pay $100 more than "young adults." LOL Don't seniors typically get a discount comparable to teens?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Seniors have to pay $100 more than "young adults." LOL Don't seniors typically get a discount comparable to teens?

Well, $1 more actually. Senior is $600.

They make out better on the midweek pass though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
I would just tell them I identify as a child. (not a stretch). Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The rich adults with jobs are subsidizing the lift tickets of the younger folks. And teenagers will spend the entire winter up there. 5 days a week.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
"Adults w/blackouts $579."

How much whisky do I have to drink fercryinoutloud!
Can just OD on someones blood pressure RX?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The Seniors usually have a pillow strapped to their butt to keep from breaking anything which results in additional help getting on the chair lift, so $1 more. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I agree, stupid.

On the other hand, maybe they have data that says they haven't been attracting the 26-30 crowd, or that if they buy a pass they are not likely to take advantage of it, or that once there they are likely to spend more money on other stuff?

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I agree, stupid.

On the other hand, maybe they have data that says they haven't been attracting the 26-30 crowd, or that if they buy a pass they are not likely to take advantage of it, or that once there they are likely to spend more money on other stuff?

That's exactly the idea, to attract younger skiers and riders because frankly, the price for lift tickets nowadays has gotten insane. In...sane.

I believe a few years ago Sugarbush did something similar by offering extremely discounted lift tickets to those under 30. If I recall correctly, the mountain made a killing, and the CEO's decision to do this may have even saved the mountain and kept it above water.

But I just find the idea of a millennial pass a little bit silly.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I think it's just marketing. Trying to lure the poor millennial demographic.

Maybe by saving this demo money on the slopes, they will have more to invest in social security. Big Grin

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
And $50 for kids? Come on

The lowest one should be Military !!

Im surprised the ski bums somehow talked the resort into a millennial price. at DISNEY you're an adult at 10 years hahaha

Ive eaten up there at Brighton but only skied Alta and Snowbird over the years on that side of the mountain from Park City

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
That's exactly the idea, to attract younger skiers and riders because frankly, the price for lift tickets nowadays has gotten insane. In...sane.

I believe a few years ago Sugarbush did something similar by offering extremely discounted lift tickets to those under 30. If I recall correctly, the mountain made a killing, and the CEO's decision to do this may have even saved the mountain and kept it above water.

But I just find the idea of a millennial pass a little bit silly.

Well... if they keep the mountain open, you benefit. If everyone paid the same, and they didn't attract enough people, everyone would suffer because there would be no skiing available.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
The rich adults with jobs are subsidizing the lift tickets of the younger folks. And teenagers will spend the entire winter up there. 5 days a week.

Not really... all the prices are probably above the break-even point, at least on average per group (there will always be people who use a membership or unlimited-use type service a lot more or less than average). Possibly not the child ticket, but that's offset by the fact that most children will have a parent with a lift ticket that brings them.

In economics, this is called "price discrimination."

Basically you can separate populations into different groups that are more or less willing to spend money, then you figure out a way to charge the different demographic groups different amounts of money to maximize profit from each group.

A classic example of this is outlet malls. Have you ever noticed that outlet malls are all out in the sticks? The people who want convenience and don't care that much about price and are just going to buy what they want go to the normal stores in town and buy what they're going to buy - they mostly won't go to the outlet mall. The people who are really focused on saving are going to make the drive to the outlet mall and spend more money in fancier stores than they would normally shop in. End result, the company makes more money.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post