SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Assembling a large two-part tool chest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Assembling a large two-part tool chest Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
So, SF braintrust, any way you see that this can be done by one guy, or a guy and a petite woman, without a chain hoist?

Just moved to new area, not quite feeling that I can walk over to neighbors and say "Hey, my name is Georgeair and I need you to come manhandle a 400# tool chest with me!"

Looks like base is 240#, top is 150# and has to be lifted up there after you somehow get the casters on the base and get it back upright. I'd love some ingenious ideas that don't involve a mountain of stacked wood. Or an ER visit.....

Pretty sure I can lean it halfway over up against wall to install casters. Getting the top piece on presents the challenge.

HD tool chest

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12422 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Should be possible to elevate one end of the bottom a few inches to move part of the roller base under it; stabilize it & wrassle the other end up onto the rollers? Then can the available parties each lift their 75# end of top unit? We pushed the bottom unit back against the wall mounted work bench to keep it trapped from moving about.

That's how it went with the one I helped a buddy about a decade ago. Of course he had to move his tools out of the drawers first.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How are you getting it home?
In back of pick-up truck. Install casters. Slide lower unit to ground. Slide upper unit onto top of lower unit. Tailgate height should be close enough.

Or slide lower unit onto blocks then install casters if you are worried about keeping it from rolling when sliding it out the back of the truck.

Does home depot rent trucks with a lift gate?

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
How are you getting it home?
In back of pick-up truck. Install casters. Slide lower unit to ground. Slide upper unit onto top of lower unit. Tailgate height should be close enough.

Or slide lower unit onto blocks then install casters if you are worried about keeping it from rolling when sliding it out the back of the truck.

Does home depot rent trucks with a lift gate?

See - that's the kind of thinking I'm hoping for. I don't have a pickup and was planning to pay for delivery. Instead, I could rent one of their trucks for an hour or two, for less, and put together like this. That may be the answer if my local (aka I'm in the sticks now) HD rents trucks......

eta - nope no local stores rent trucks in Madison/Jackson MS apparently. Roll Eyes
Nearest option is Hammond, LA 140 miles away...

Posts: 12422 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have a pickup and was planning to pay for delivery.

I bet the delivery guys would help you set it up there. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this set, you're over-thinking it. It's going to be in two separate boxes. Open the big box, scootch it off the box onto the floor. Tip it back and lay it flat on the floor. Install casters. Tip it back up on its casters. If it tries to move while tipping up, ask wife to use her foot to keep it from sliding. Open box for top unit. It's not that heavy. I just picked mine up and hoisted it onto the top. I really doubt top box weighs 150. I didn't pay much attention, but it seems like it might have weighed half that much

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Take the drawers out of the top box. It should be light enough for you and your friend to lift.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have the same Husky box except maybe the larger size and my bottom box has drawers where you have a door.

My sincere recommendation is to get help hoisting the top and setting it on the bottom. One person may be able to pick up the top, but the bottom may roll out of place and cause a problem.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11849 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Take the drawers out of the top box. It should be light enough for you and your friend to lift.

Says Captain Obvious! Eek I mean that in a positive way, I'm an idiot.

Y'all are absolutely right. I'm overthinking this just due to bulk and weight, and Suppressed's point is one I should have jumped right to, since that's how I've been moving furniture around off and on for 1.5 months now.

Thank you.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm late to the advice party....

Having done this several times, just remove the drawers.

The advice about the delivery guys helping you is probably spot on also. Be prepared to rip the boxes apart quickly...perhaps while you feed them some lemonaide...and they'll help you out.

My wife was able to sort of help me set one (with the drawers removed).

Congratulations on the new box. I love setting up a new box and organizing my tools. It's such a good feeling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed on maybe an extra tip to the delivery guys to help stack it.

That said, to the OPs point. If a new neighbor knocked on my door & asked for a little help (assuming I wasn't in the middle of a project) I'd have no problem with it. But, that may just be the Texan in me talking. Wink

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
As said, remove the drawers. But, the specs seem to indicate a total weight of 329 lbs. I was surprised by the numbers you quoted, so I looked at the specs on the link you provided.

From experience, it shouldn't be too bad with the drawers out.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The top chest weighs 123 pounds. With the drawers out, probably significantly less.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hus...st-HTC5206/206635946

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a couple of $10 or $20 bills to grease the delivery guys. For 2 minutes work that is okay pay and worth it to you to not hurt yourself.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
Have a couple of $10 or $20 bills to grease the delivery guys. For 2 minutes work that is okay pay and worth it to you to not hurt yourself.

I did things this way. Grease a couple of palms for the guys with the big muscles. Gets it done quick, and (relatively) cheap (vs the cost of repairing your back).

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post