SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Navy changes approach to boot camp
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Navy changes approach to boot camp Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
I was never in the Navy but this shocked me...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38188 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'd need to be an American to even begin to write what I think about having seen this.

So I hope you'll forgive me by letting it rest right there.

Posts: 11428 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stepping back in time to RTC Orlando, FL (1977)..my Company Commander (as they were known then) was a PO1 recovering from a health condition. Couldn't be out in the Fleet in the state he was in. He was using the assignment to recover and get back to speed. I'd venture a guess many are likewise in this video, given a chance to contribute and work out the issue instead of Big Blue Machine flushing 12-15 years of service down the scupper.

Posts: 3353 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
TWENTY MINUTES to 'run' 1.5 miles! Roll Eyes

I currently WALK 4.5 miles per day in just over an hour, which is essentially the exact same 13:30 per mile pace, sustained for ONE HOUR...Except I'm probably three times their age! I'd run it I could (my knees won't allow it), and I'd certainly do it A LOT faster than that!

DEI - Diminished Exercise Intensity! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I can walk 1.5 miles in 20 minutes at age 65.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
This horse shit was not tolerated back in the 1959/1960.The D I's worked the shit out of us .
The whole company was tough, trim, and proud.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
And from the civilian .gov world: My last pre-retirement Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB) in 2022 had 17:46 as the 25th Percentile for the 1.5 mile. That's based on age (50-55) and gender (male).

Translated: "Wanna keep your job, 50-year-old, physically beat-up non-military guy who's on the tail end of his career? 1.5 mile in 17:46. Ready? Go."

Posts: 2516 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. 16:55 for 1.5 miles at my last job. I could do that in a fast walk/slow jog.

Posts: 32993 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm 71 and walk my dogs at almost that speed, including servicing their outdoor needs.

I wonder if being able to swim is part of the test? Probably not.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the Navy? Why would they need to do that? Roll Eyes

Posts: 9232 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Back in '65 Navy boot we had some swim tests. You had to pass in order to graduate out of boot. Well we had this young guy who just happened to be black but could never seem to pass.

So, he and a nice young guy made a deal to have him go to the evening swim class to take the test for him. Problem was that the impostor happened to be white and was about the best swimmer in our recruit company. Surprise, surprise! They were caught! Both were sent to the punishment company and then returned to week 1 of boot to start over.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2430 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:

I'm 71 and walk my dogs at almost that speed, including servicing their outdoor needs.

I must raise my hand; back then I was one of those guys who couldn't swim. Something about growing up on the edge of a swamp full of cottonmouths, gators and snapping turtles...Anyways I couldn't swim, but on my second try I was floating for a long, long time. Instructor asked how long I had been there, I forgot about you; SWIM! I said "Aye, aye, sir!" and went to the bottom of the pool. He got me back up, told me I couldn't swim but could float like hell. "Pass! Get out of my pool."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
When I was in HS in the late 80's we had 10 min to run 1.5 miles

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38188 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Breathing exercises to control stress is a pretty normal athletic technique.

I assume the fat kids are maybe recovering from pregnancy/some other issue.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These aren't recruits, this is training or, trails for being an instructor? Did these people getting volun-told to attend or, did they sign-up for this, as you'd think you'd want to be fit, not just visually but, physically squared-away and look the part you expect your recruits to be.

Not sure what the blue cord is for, I know red cord is for instructor...

Posts: 15030 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I hope those people never have to fight. They ain't gonna make it. 6 years USAF/ANG, 6 years USN/USNR. The lowering of standards is disgusting. At least the Russians have even lower standards.

Posts: 4093 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
Back in '65 Navy boot we had some swim tests. You had to pass in order to graduate out of boot. Well we had this young guy who just happened to be black but could never seem to pass.

So, he and a nice young guy made a deal to have him go to the evening swim class to take the test for him. Problem was that the impostor happened to be white and was about the best swimmer in our recruit company. Surprise, surprise! They were caught! Both were sent to the punishment company and then returned to week 1 of boot to start over.

Now you are going to tell us they both ended up as admirals, right?

Posts: 11428 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Orlando boot camp in '78. Some of the people in that video were too overweight to enlist back then. We had an 8 minute mile, outside in the Fl heat in boots, pants and shirt. Stress and anxiety weren't words that were commonly used back then in general and surely not in boot camp.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In June of 1974, I found myself in USAF Basic Training. Vietnam was still in progress but in its final days. Accommodations were deluxe in a WWII era wooden barracks that helped contain the Texas summer heat. Stress and anxiety were in the form of a red faced man who often yelled in my face while bumping my face with his campaign hat. This man would often say to me "your shit is weak, very weak"! I began to believe that it was weak. After about 2 weeks of my shit being weak, my fellow barracks rats and I were trying desperately to escape our predicament. One morning after breakfast, the red faced man gathered us together and told us very solemnly that the USAF had a policy that prohibited anyone being homosexual. He then said that anyone who was queer could admit the fact to him and he would begin a discharge process. He then went into his office to await anyone ready for discharge. Several of my fellow sufferers decided to admit to homosexuality in order to get gone from Basic Training and USAF. One brave soul then entered the DIs office and said "Drill Sergeant, I am a homosexual". The DI then responded in a voice loud enough for all to hear "PROVE IT! SUCK MY DICK"!
That is how you do stress and anxiety! I am glad the USN wants to reduce it! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
In '98 I was sent to Great Lakes to be an RDC under involuntary orders. When I told the detailed that I was going to fail screening he said "no worries, I'll just write you a waiver. It worked out since the other group that got involuntary orders all went to recruiting.

The people wearing the blue aiguillette on their left shoulder are in the RDC training pipeline. They are authorized to interact with recruits in a training environment under the supervision of a RDC but cannot actually do much or be alone with recruits.
The people with the red ones are qualified RDCs. Officers do not qualify as RDCs and are not allowed to physically discipline recruits (I.e. push ups and such.) I’ve had non-red ropes stop me and ask me to deal with a problem recruit.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3894 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post