SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Navy changes approach to boot camp
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Navy changes approach to boot camp Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I forget the right title but my navy boot camp platoon in 1976 had a company petty officer who was fat. I forget if he was a chief or the rank below it. Chiefs had the privilege to be fat. Out in the fleet, we had one chief who would walk on deck carrying a box of donuts eating it all.

I do remember coming out of boot camp being able to do so many push ups and be able to lock my elbows halfway and hold it indefinitely. Those were the good old days, too.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20011 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I regretfully never served. I've watched Full Metal Jacket probably 20 times.
Maybe every drill instructor should be like Mr. Ermy. I was so sad when he passed.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
I think I can walk 1.5 miles in 20 minutes at age 65.

I'm 71 and walk my dogs at almost that speed, including servicing their outdoor needs.

I wonder if being able to swim is part of the test? Probably not.

I must raise my hand; back then I was one of those guys who couldn't swim. Something about growing up on the edge of a swamp full of cottonmouths, gators and snapping turtles...Anyways I couldn't swim, but on my second try I was floating for a long, long time. Instructor asked how long I had been there, I forgot about you; SWIM! I said "Aye, aye, sir!" and went to the bottom of the pool. He got me back up, told me I couldn't swim but could float like hell. "Pass! Get out of my pool."

Good lord that's FUNNY!

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8914 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^That was 47 years ago this week, now that I think on it.

Posts: 3378 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Bootcamp at Lackland AFB was a "walk in the park," compared to "Hell Week" in the fraternity!

Posts: 181 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I attended Navy boot camp in Great Lakes, Ill in January 1969. I couldn't swim but could play a brass instrument. Apparently that was more important than swimming and I got a pass on the water to play a baritone bugle.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4274 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post