SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    new/old bandsaw questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new/old bandsaw questions Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I just purchased a Craftsman Bandsaw off the 'list.

It was disassembled and basically, two motors, the bandsaw, and a table and a mystery box.

So I am putting it all together and the guy was in the process of putting a new motor on it, and that is where I start to scratch the head.
This guy pulled the switch off, and direct wired it to the new motor. A 1/2hp DC motor and in the box of mysteries was a Dalton speed control for it. So my questions:

1) Why would you want a variable speed bandsaw? everyone I have ever used was on/off.

2) The box of mysteries also has a AC 1/2hp motor that seems to work. Should I just put the AC motor back on it and install a new on/off switch?

If there is a reason to have a bandsaw with a VFD, fine I will just set it up that way, but I would like to build something else with the DC motor and use the AC motor and its handy on/off for the bandsaw.

Any thoughts?

-Dave

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Different speeds are advantageous for cutting different types & thicknesses of materials. You wouldn't cut sheet steel at the same speed or tooth type & pitch as you would wood, for example. A VFD would be very handy, IMO. We're stuck shifting belts & pulleys on our band saw.

Without getting too far afield, cutting anything with a machine tool is all about optimizing speed, feed, depth of cut, & work holding.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A/C motor with the switch but isn't there a stepped pulley to change speeds?

Posts: 9540 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'd only go through the hassle of a VFD and DC motor IF I wanted to put a metal cutting blade on it and cut steel.

You want REALLY slow (relative to wood-cutting speeds) speed for cutting steel.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Speed & feed rule.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
A/C motor with the switch but isn't there a stepped pulley to change speeds?

Yes, there is a step pulley on the motor. Another oddity, it doesnt fit the AC motor only the DC one with the VFD. Why would you need a step pulley with the VFD?

I do plan to cut steel with it, and also plan to use it for wood as well. I had not really thought about the different speeds for different materials. I am glad I asked you guys. Thanks.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I installed a variable set up on my Honey extractor ,my table top 1927 lathe and my home made trimmer champer and chaffer setup for brass prep.
Might be the way to go with the band saw IMHO.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post