SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Noise Cancelling Headphones
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noise Cancelling Headphones Login/Join 
posted
I am about to take a couple long trips and am in the market for some noise cancelling headphones. I can't stomach paying $350 for a pair of Bose and see numerous options out there for much less. Can anyone share their experiences and give some recommendations please? Thanks so much.

Posts: 54 | Location: United States | Registered: December 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have the Bose wireless Qc 35 and love them. Worth the 300 or so.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bose QC20 - pay once, cry once, enjoy for a long time.

When I got mine at a vendor at the airport, I used them only for noise reduction on a long flight home. Didn't even plug into my laptop.

Well worth the price. If you have a Bose store nearby, they sometimes have refurbished ones at a discount.

I don't recommend the wireless models - they almost require you to install an app on your phone, and you have to adjust the volume pretty much each time you start it up. The wired ones (the QC20) still work well for me.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sony Bluetooth/wired model that Costco puts on sale for $100. They work with Bluetooth or a wire, and if the headphones run out of battery they still work as a wired headset without noise cancelling.

I tried the Bose and they are nice, and are better than the Sony. But the Sony is very good, and $100.

Posts: 520 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Bose QC 35. They're worth the money.

Posts: 3662 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

13hrs from D.C. to Dubais. Would never have made it without them.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I have the Bose in ear noise cancelling and they are a godsend on long flights. Buy once, cry once you won’t regret going with Bose.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

This. +1000. I am cheap and had to think long and hard sbout dropping the cash on headphones of all things. A buddy recommended them and I could not be happier. Multiple levels of noise reduction and superb sound. Definitely worth the money.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the Bose QC headphones for about 13 years now and love them. Accidentally sat on them a couple years back and broke on of the plastic ear cup connections and For $50 and a trade in, Bose sent me a new set.

Other than that, the ear cushions wore out so I bought some cheap replacements off of flea bay.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5754 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Audio Technica. You get about 80% Bose quality noise cancelling for about 1/3 of the price.

Audio Technica Headphones

The ones I have are no longer made but they were very good. My wife and I each had a pair and my Dad bought some after trying mine.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have had my Bose QCs for at least 4 years now, use them all the time, well worth the price of admission.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have two Bose headsets

one is the X for flying when I'm PIC or crew

the other is the QC30 series when I'm a passenger in a commercial flight

I look at it this way...what is your hearing worth, and what is your sanity worth when you're stuck on an aluminum tube with 175 of your closest friends, 22 screaming kids and the drunk next to you that wants to tell you about his latest adventure...

pay once and get it done

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For a cheap option, though they aren't active noise cancelling.

I picked up a set of Phaiser BHS-760 earbuds recently.
They do a good enough job that I can just barely hear my mower/weed eater when doing yard work.
The pair I had before, also did a fine job of muting the engine noise on a commercial flight.

$30 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Phaiser...rtable/dp/B075CTSYHH

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I concur with the "suck it up and buy the Bose" comments.

Some years back I was flying between here and NY quite frequently. I was walking through the terminal at O'Hare one time after a particularly miserable connecting flight from Denver with the screaming larva of the pond scum at the shallow end of the gene pool sitting next to me and passed a Bose vender. I sucked it up and dropped around $300 for a set of headphones/ear muffs and after putting them on in flight I wondered how in the hell I had lived without them for so long. Still have that set and they work great. Since then, I've added a set of the in-the-ear buds that are nearly as good. I use those mostly for using the weed-whacker/lawnmower/chainsaw. Cancel the noise, play some Jethro Tull, and life is good...... Wink

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with the Cowin E7 on several coast to coast flights $60

https://www.amazon.com/Wireles...words=cowin+e7&psc=1

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Another Bose QC user here.

They are worth the price. Buy once, cry once. However you want to put it.

I always read people saying Bose is overpriced and that you can get just as good for much less. But I've yet to see anyone post examples of such a product.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Have had Bose noise cancelling headphones since 2003, soon after experiencing them in a helicopter flight on vacation. Upgraded to the QC-25s in 2015 and am quite happy with them.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Bose.

I had the headphones and when they came out with the noise-cancelling earbuds, I jumped on them.

They are a godsend! I call them my "kid cancelling" earphones!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I have had a pair of Audio Technica noise cancelling headphones for 9 years now and have been very happy with them. Very easy battery change and good sound. Much less $$$ than Bose.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
For those who have used both over the ear and in ear style, any pros/cons on one style versus the other?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post