SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Of hard boiled eggs and heaven
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Of hard boiled eggs and heaven Login/Join 
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
After many many years of having mixed results with stove top cooking in a pot of boiling water I've happily discovered another use for the InstaPot.

2 minutes for the perfect soft boil, 3 minutes for a firmer egg.

Perfect. Try it.

^^^^ this. I go a minute or 2 longer and into cold water.

Our instant pot has an egg setting. Make sure you release pressure when the beeper goes off and into ice water. Peel perfectly. Perfectly cooked.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
If we’re making a dozen, I use the Insta-Pot. 1 cup of cold water, put the eggs on the little grill thing that comes with the cooker, set the timer for 6 minutes. When the timer goes off, release the pressure slowly. Put the eggs in an ice bath. Been doing this for 2 years, and haven’t messed up an egg yet.

If we’re only doing a few eggs, this has been working great.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure they cook great,
I get them cooked perfect.
The issue I am trying to address is the peeling.

Removing the shell w/o
The cooked white.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
That egg cooker looks interesting, but I had to laugh at these:

“Make omelets, boiled and poached eggs...the possibilities are endless!”

“No more sticking your fingers in boiling water to peel eggs!”

It does sound ridiculous but it does work. Mine came with different tops for cooking different styles.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Sure they cook great,
I get them cooked perfect.
The issue I am trying to address is the peeling.

Removing the shell w/o
The cooked white.

Most of the time putting the cooked eggs immediately in an ice cube/cold water bath and soak there for a few minutes works fine. 90% success rate for smooth peeling. Once in a while I still mess one up but it usually works. Also, peel them under running cold tap water.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used this method with fresh eggs as well as store bought and had great success:

In a pot, bring enough water to cover the eggs to a boil
Using a slotted spoon, gently place eggs into the boiling water 1-2 at a time
When all eggs are in, boil for 15 minutes
After 15 minutes, remove eggs from water and place into a ice water for a few minutes

Never had a peeling problem using this technique

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your OP was superbly written, and hilarious; thank you!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks ,
My job is done.
( And it's not even April)

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
peel after rolling on flat surface to break up shell.
Yes. That is what I do, tap just a little to get a break going, then roll lightly to extend the breaks to the entire shell. The membrane under the shell keeps it all attached, and when the fragment size is sufficiently reduced, the shell will peel right off leaving a clean, glistening white orb with none of the "digs" you get with other peeling methods.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on my own, at least as far as cooking since I was 15, except when the Army fed me (UGGGGH! Getting flashbacks).

Hard boiling eggs is pretty easy, the trick to them, IMO, is to gently place them in very cold water (ice water, if possible) right out of the boiling pot. I place the geggs in the boiling water by putting them in a spoon (larger than a typical small tablespoon) and gently lowering them into the water. Leave them there for 8 minutes, then into ice water. Peel and taste perfect to me.

My wife make them in the InstaPot, five minutes, into the ice water and the peel, look and taste perfect.

Don't over think this.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rolling them on the counter top prior to peeling,
Is something I have not heard or tried,

Thank you,
I will try that.

Once more in too the breach go I

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
I’ve used this method with fresh eggs as well as store bought and had great success:

In a pot, bring enough water to cover the eggs to a boil
Using a slotted spoon, gently place eggs into the boiling water 1-2 at a time
When all eggs are in, boil for 15 minutes
After 15 minutes, remove eggs from water and place into a ice water for a few minutes

Never had a peeling problem using this technique

This works! We’ve been boiling eggs like this for a couple of years. Only for 10 minutes instead of 15. I’m assuming the diff is rapid versus slow boil. 95% effective

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I eat between 2-4 hard boiled eggs every day. Two in the morning and another two throughout the day in a salad.

I fill a pot full of cold water, couple dashes of salt and place the eggs in.

Bring to a boil, cover and turn the heat off.

After 13 minutes, I transfer the eggs to ice water and let them sit there for a minimum of 15 minutes.

They peel pretty easily.

One tip I learned here from SIGforum years ago, was to use eggs that were purchased at least a a week or two prior to boiling them.

Every now and then I get a tough batch. Peeling eggs that do not want to be peeled is a pain in the ass.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Sous Vide. The perfect hard boiled, soft boiled, any way you want it with complete repeatability every time.

Serious Eats

Posts: 3457 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are buying the Kroger eggs or something similar my theory is that it's the breed of the chicken used that is the problem. In my area the membranes are so damned tough that just trying to crack an egg open for sunny side up results in burst yokes about 15-20% of the time. I suspect that tough membrane is also the reason they won't peel cleanly. One of these days I plan on spending the big bucks for some of those field raised brown eggs and see how they do.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Insta pot. There are tons of recipes out there, but cook, ice and peel. Rock solid every time and super fast.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post