SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation on penetrating oil for rusted bolts?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Recommendation on penetrating oil for rusted bolts? Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Where's the love for Liquid Wrench? That's been my go-to forever. Any of them may take some time to work.

I'll +1 liquid wrench.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Used to use Liquid Wrench, now only PB Blaster.

Whatever you use time is your friend. When I have a known likely problem I start soaking the fasteners in question as much as a week ahead of time. At least overnight if possible.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Bend over and buy a gallon of Kroil directly from the manufacturer. You'll be set for life.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It is important to use an impact wrench in this situation. Using the breaker bar will break the bolt off in the spindle and then you are up the creek for a new spindle which is not cheap.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^^^THIS!!!!!!

X 1,000,000,000

Use an impact gun, if that won't take it off you are likely screwed. Breaker bar will shear the bolt.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Kroil

If that doesn't work, add some heat with a torch.

Then use a breaker bar and maybe have someone smack the wrench/socket with a hammer

THIS, heat and an impact wrench.

Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Kroil (available from Napa or Amazon) is the very best I have ever used. Key is to apply it and let it soak for sometimes hours or even days if necessary. kroil has worked for me on a couple things when PB Blaster wouldnt even budge it! It also makes a great barrel cleaner.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Corrosion X is fantastic stuff.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't used it, this is more of a FYI, but the makers of WD40 do make a specific rust penetrant.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I third the Kroil or PB Blaster followed by a heat wrench. If you have time, let the penetrant soak over night tapping the bolts occasionally with a hammer as though not to damage the threads, then torch and wrench. The blue propane torches are cheap and available at HD or Lowes.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Again, Kroil is one of the best. PB Blaster is a close "second best".

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I have used a combination of the above methods with success plus a 6 point socket. Letting the bolt soak with penetrating oil with a combination of hitting the head with a hammer has worked well. I have used a torch on exhaust manifolds when the above methods did not work and that worked very well also.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:

Corrosion X is incredible. I worked as a yacht mechanic for 20 years, this worked unbelievably well. However I have heard that Kroil is also good.

Heat and quench is excellent, and from my experience much better than heat alone.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:

Corrosion X is incredible. I worked as a yacht mechanic for 20 years, this worked unbelievably well. However I have heard that Kroil is also good.

Heat and quench is excellent, and from my experience much better than heat alone.
I've used and loved Corrosion-X for many years now, but I never thought of it as a penetrating oil and always used Kroil for that.
I'll have to try Corrosion-X next time I need something for a stuck bolt/nut.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with both PB B'laster and Kroil over the years.

An ex-USAAF/ex-USN/ex-TWA FAA guy I worked with that has since gone west swore by this: http://www.mousemilk.com/

He loved it for parts exposed to high heat. When my can of Kroil runs out, I may give it a try.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Report This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
Kroil is the best and I've used just about everything out there
you have to set a vibration (sometimes) to get it to creep in _ tap on it with a hammer or get an impact wrench
if this doesn't work get the blue wrench

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used everything listed but my go to is 75% ATF 25% DIESEL Fuel. I keep it in a spray bottle and shake it before i spray, works every time

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Kroil and time. You have to give the stuff time to do it's job and keep applying it.

I had to pull the head off my dad's S-10 a couple years ago and snapped off a bolt doing so. Luckily there was a stub sticking out of the block. It wouldn't budge with the stud puller, it just slipped and stripped. I applied kroil every day for a week or so and was able to get it out with vise grips.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
A 50-50 mixture of ATF and acetone supposedly beats all the commercially available products.
. Lab tests do recommend the above!

This mixture, by far, is the best. I found out about this on an old tractor forum. Someone posted a chart listing the foot pounds required to loosen rusted bolts after applying various penetrants, such as WD40, PB Blaster, Kroil, etc. The best penetrant listed was a 50/50 mixture of Automatic Transmission fluid and Acetone.
I tried this on a couple 11 year old shock absorber bolts on my Dodge Ram pickup, and, well, shock bolts have never loosened as easily as these.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
PB Blaster and an impact tool.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post