SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation on penetrating oil for rusted bolts?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Recommendation on penetrating oil for rusted bolts? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Pulled the deck off my John Deere mower to change the blades and the bolts holding the blades on are seized and rusted. They won't budge, even with a breaker bar. I want to soak them with a good penetrating oil, but which one to use? WD40 or Kroil didn't work.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Kroil

If that doesn't work, add some heat with a torch.

Then use a breaker bar and maybe have someone smack the wrench/socket with a hammer

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
^^^^This^^^^

I used to go through this every year, I finally broke down and bought a Dewalt electric impact wrench. Wish I'd done it years ago.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Torch the head of the bolt until you hear a POP! Just do the head, nothing else. It will glow red hot, but it will come right off with a breaker bar after that. After it cools and you are ready to put it back together, cover the threads in anti-seize. You shouldn't have a problem after that.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
WD-40 is a poor rust penetrant, but Kroil is one of the best. If this didn't loosen it up, you're probably going to need some heat from an oxy-fuel torch and some vibration, from an air hammer and/or an impact wrench, to shock them loose. These can be rented if you don't have them, or the machine taken to a shop, if you have a trusted one. And be prepared to have to replace the bolts.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Kroil is the shiznit.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Report This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted Hide Post

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
PB Blaster works pretty well.

Agree, heat is a good solution when necessary and surprisingly, bees wax with heat does an excellent job!

Yes, never seize bolts before reassembling.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38645 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The PB Blaster then maybe a pipe on the breaker bar, if it will fit. Start with a tight fitting, quality socket.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Kroil will loosen damn near anything.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Where's the love for Liquid Wrench? That's been my go-to forever. Any of them may take some time to work.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
A 50-50 mixture of ATF and acetone supposedly beats all the commercially available products.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Report This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
make sure its not a left hand thread too.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Kroil...railroads couldn't function without Kroil...they buy it by the gallon...if Kroil didn't work, there was always the torch.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Kroil or PB Blaster

WD40 really isn't that great at helping remove rusted bolts. If you have some time spray it tonight then again in the morning. Then try and remove it.

I use anti seize when I put anything that might rust/get stuck back together. Makes things much easier next time.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
P B Blaster is convent and cheap .I have both that and Kroll ,but that gallon can is a pain when you need something quick to spray.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
A 50-50 mixture of ATF and acetone supposedly beats all the commercially available products.
. Lab tests do recommend the above!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Kroil, fo' sho'.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
This is the best penetrant I ever saw. But it is nasty. Probably not even legal anymore.

Sideways? Hope you all can read sideways

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Report This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Kroil is the shnizzle knizzel for rusty bolts. See above

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Report This Post