SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever get to the point where nothing interests you anymore?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever get to the point where nothing interests you anymore? Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I haven't yet. It's hard for me to imagine. I've only been 26 for 16 years though. That may have something to do with it. Out of all the phases and places in life I've been, so far, I can't identify with what you describe.
I've been bored with what I was able to do at the time, though not for any real length. I experienced severe poverty as a child (at least our country's version of it) and learned how to self-sooth/entertain early on. Perhaps that was a useful skillset to learn. Had to be something good out of the traumas of such an upbringing.

I've been frustrated with a current phase or difficult spot in life. That's possibly similar in frustration. There was a time where the impossibilities of my situation appeared to outweigh the possibilities of my desires. I've had other times where I simply had near-zero control in my life, and I've dealt with that in good ways and bad. Some of my most favorite hobbies and interests have at many times been impossible to partake in. I'm in a bit of one of those situations right now. I'm a pilot without an airplane, no friends or family with planes within any distance of me that's reasonable, and no opportunities for renting an airplane within reason either. It's frustrating. But, I'm far from grieving over it. It motivates me to continue working and saving. Prices are so inflated right now, purchase just doesn't make sense and other options do not pencil either. I know that is temporary.
I think you're describing a phase that you don't believe will be temporary for you. IF you're asking for advice, since you did post here after all...I'd say, find a new mission. Find a new friend. As a perpetual 26 year old myself, I love making friends with more "mature" individuals that enjoy doing things with. I love learning from life experience, and helping where I can. I have several friends I'd consider good friends and even partial mentors, that are in the 80's. It's just an idea. When bored with a phase in life, or up against a wall of frustration over a situation, I start flanking and pivoting for things that I can do and are interesting to me. I look out for others that I can mentor and help in life also. There is great fulfillment in passing on knowledge and learning from a vastly different generation.

That helps me live with some of the physical difficulties and pains that I have. I can't do stuff I used to at 26, but I can do other things still. I'm not dead yet!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
I am officially there. I have or have had damn near every gun I have ever wanted. There is nothing new besides the same plastic fantastic by another maker. Last gun I picked up was a Steyr L9. It is meh and nothing more. I still love my little mouse guns when I can pick them up for a decent price. Other than those nothing! Maybe I'll take up knitting? Frown
Rosie Greer did needlepoint.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Every day I feel like I care a bit less than the one before.

If you mean just gun related, then also yes. The exception is lately wanting a new 12ga. but it has been a long dry spell otherwise.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I get interested in things, but at age 69, the level of interest isn't as acute as years earlier.

That's the best way I know how to explain it.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I think the wanting is sometimes more satisfying than the having.

I've often thought that.

quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Maybe you just have to come up with new things to want, even if it is a different hobby to explore.

That tends to do it for me

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it’s time to take up archery. Or golf.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
In regards to firearms it happens on and off. I’m already at the point I can’t shoot everything I currently own. Sometimes I get bored and just leave things alone, sometimes I purge and change directions with my collection. The prices have been astronomical for the most of the things in which I have an interest. I don’t like overpaying. I spent the better part of the last year and a half focused on shooting and hunting more. I have the same things happen with other hobbies like golf and fishing. I don’t really need anything and have nothing I urgently want either. I’m probably closer to letting certain things go than I am to acquiring anything new.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
The wife says I have too many hobbies, but she thinks home improvement projects should be a hobby…boo
I told her to have fun with that

I grew up having to shade tree mechanic my own vehicles and struggling to make ends meet, working on crap now just seems like a waste of time

Don’t get me wrong, I still do more than the average homeowner myself, it’s just not a means of recreation for me.

I go back and forth on 4 hobbies

Guns/knives
Golf
Pool
Poker

Pool and Poker in the cold months, golf in the good weather & guns/knives pretty much all year as opportunities present themselves

Haven’t got bored with all 4 at the same time yet

Oh yeah, starting g to add a little fishing in the mix. Just guided outings and trips with clients. Haven’t bought a boat or a goofy hat.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
This is still the forum I visit daily (not always logged in, let alone posting since don't always have something to add), with that said, I haven't bought a new gun in a few years. Sure there's things I'd like to get, but other hobbies have taken over. I go through this every few years. Get bored with one and go back to one I've neglected or pick up something new. Lately it's been off roading. Have still been shooting, but interest in new guns is pretty much meh to me. Dealt with it long enough before going into LE. Still kept up with fishing this whole time but I try to do different types of fishing (river, lakes, surf, inshore) so it's always something different plus can be wading, on a bank, on the boat, or a kayak.

It's always nice to take a break from a hobby and find a new one or revisit an old one. Even things that are fun can burn ya out from it.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been that way for many years now. Bored is the diagnosis

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm there also P08, not to much in the gun world that interests me now.
Last firearm was a Mossberg 590 Tactical a while ago for home defense. I looked around in the cases and on the wall but nothing got me excited, just kinda blah.
I knew I wanted a shotgun when I walked in and told myself I'll look around at a few other guns too. Nothing.
I should get another AR as I only have one(one is none and 2 is 1 kinda thinking) but I won't pay what's on the tag right now.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. And yes, I think it's a point on the journey, as Para described. I'm a watch guy more than a gun guy. I've had a HELL of a lot of watches come and go. Put a few that I let go back in the mix when I realized that they were "the ones" to have kept. Trimmed and trimmed and now I have just a few, and there's nothing out there that's more interesting to me. As p08 said, I'm just bored with it. Like guns before that. Fin'!

I may keep what I have left for a bit. Probably a few will stay for (ultimately) my kids. The few others I'll sell.

Bored of guns. Bored of watches. Bored of stuff. I'd like to buy a mid-life dream car, but Para's statement to "never drop huge money on something that will ultimately be guardrails and lawn furniture in your lifetime" is stuck within my head. Mad Big Grin

Luckily with my kids all hitting college age, the local universities are more than happy to sweep up all of my "surplus" hobby money.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
No never had this affliction…
I look to other eras as I am fascinated from everything from slings to the most modern weapons technology.

My current fascination is the era between the ending of black powder and the beginning of WW2

Quite a broad era, I’ve also been enjoying the era of the sportsman, from 1900’s to the late 30’s including reading older magazines etc.

There is a sameness to most modern firearms in the market yet with minor nuances.

In the past, I feel different manufacturers had their own technology and differed a bit more than they do now. Branches off of the same tree so to say, with some that stood out both in function and handling characteristics from the rest.

Beretta
Luger
HK (golden era)

I digress.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad that I am not the only one
I turned 50 two weeks ago and I am there
I am having a hard time finding something that interests me.

I go through this every few years in which all my usual interests such as guns, tanks, workouts, history, etc.. do not interest me.

I still enjoy reading what forum members post and do a little research if I find something I do not understand but other than that nada, nothing, nyet!

The other half thinks that some of it is depression and the other part is that I have spent sooo much time on the computer reading,killing time and researching/hunting for jobs the past 1.5 years.

The other part is all the BS from the job hunt, COVID, and especially the military..

I also think a lot of it was my time spent in Afghanistan.. It spoiled me.

I had a such a good time, and was able to use all types of equipment, machines, and weapons from not only the US but other countries as well. (Let me caveat I was around the equipment/weapons of other countries)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Not me! I'm fishing on my boat every chance I get, even in winter. New Year's Eve, I caught a 45 inch long, 50 pound Striped Bass out in the Chesapeake Bay. I haven't bought a gun in several years. I still own plenty of them, though. I go shooting with my son about three times a year. I ride my motorcycle every few weeks but that is happening less these days.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You just need to find a new niche of guns you haven't owned before. Antique black powder single shot. Lever guns. Vintage military. Etc, Etc. If you are bored with the offerings, expand your horizons and area of interest. I guarantee you have not exhausted the spectrum of guns.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
No. At least not for long. I have most every gun I want. There are some I want but won’t pay artificially high prices for. I’m okay not having them. I still have guns in my safe I haven’t shot yet lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Sounds like it’s time to take up archery. Or golf.

I played golf 2 times a week for a summer thinking I'd get decent. Nope got worse! I did bow hunt, but after 2 rotator cuff surgeries that ended that. I think I'll have to buy me a toy car to drive in the summer.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster: I still have guns in my safe I haven’t shot yet lol

Kinda in the same boat but I've shot all of them. Right now, I have a bunch that I haven't shot in years. They're clean but just sit there.
Some has to do with lack of ammunition also.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Odd as it may sound, the older I get the more things I find that grab my interest. Some wane after a bit of course, but most hang on and I sometimes find I don't have enough time to fit it all in. Along with my interest in guns, which has been cut back due to covid and ammo prices, I've been doing modifications to my Tacoma, got my HAM license and play a bit of radio just about every day along with studying and learning more about the hobby ($$$), I always have some sort of home project in the works, wife and I enjoy trying new recipes and cooking techniques. I was into photography for awhile but that went when cell phones got such good cameras which take pictures as good as my D90, although not with the same flexibility. So no, I'm not bored. Just trying to fit everything in before my number is called.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post