SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘Nigerian prince’ email scammer arrested in Slidell Louisiana- booking photo included
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Nigerian prince’ email scammer arrested in Slidell Louisiana- booking photo included Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Among others, there is a web site, http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm, that details the often hilarious stories of people who indulge in "scambaiting." This is the practice of stringing the scammer along as long as possible, finally resulting in the "reveal."

I first learned of this site in the 1990s. Nigerian scams are nothing new. the 419 in the title refers to Article 419 of the Nigerian penal code, which addresses fraud. 419 scams have been around for nearly a century.

http://www.newsweek.com/origin...ous-419-scams-456701

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Hey, the prince looks like he hasn't seen the sun in decades. Razz

Hes been busy sending emails

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Whenever a thread about these scams comes up people always ask why they keep coming around since they have been around forever and everyone knows about them.

quote:
The scheme nets millions of dollars each year, according to the SPD, and is difficult to track since many of the participants operate outside of the United States.
persists because it still works. It only takes a tiny percentage to work when their spam bots can send out millions of messages a day.

My Mom was convinced, to the tune of $30,000 that she had won the Irish Lottery. We tried to convince her she was being swindled to no avail. The FBI caught the people doing this and they're in jail. There is no punishment available in America that is equal to the pain they caused.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I stayed in a hotel in Slidell LA a couple weeks ago. I think I saw that guy behind a dumpster behind the Holiday Inn next door.

We were getting reports of these scams done by US Mail 40 years ago and they were old hat even then. It never ceased to amaze me that people are so stupid as to fall for these scams but they are consistently successful enough to keep the scams alive.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
not sure where Slidell is, but the photo is not what I expected.

He sounded a little taller on the radio.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Hey, the prince looks like he hasn't seen the sun in decades. Razz

Hes been busy sending emails

Well that is a lot of typing. He must be the one with the really good grammar.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
WGNO is a New Orleans site so I would think they're talking about Slidell, La. It's about 30 - 35 miles northeast of New Orleans.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Are there really that many people who didn't know Slidell is in Louisiana? I guess I thought that was a given - must be a southern thing. I'll edit the title and story.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
not sure where Slidell is, but the photo is not what I expected.

He sounded a little taller on the radio.

That is not germane to the situation...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I guess that means that I won’t be getting my 2.5 million dollars, and he sounded so nice.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there really that many people who didn't know Slidell is in Louisiana?

Geography is no longer taught in our school system. Map reading also seems to be a lost art with GPS. I will confess though that I cannot name all the countries in Africa.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Here in Seattle they wouldn't have a problem with him identifying as a Nigerian Prince...

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
"269 counts" means 269 really stupid people who fell for that crap.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
"269 counts" means 269 really stupid people who fell for that crap.

Being stupid isn't a crime, but fraud is. Hope Neu likes prison food . . . and penis. And good riddance to bad rubbish.

Posts: 10753 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Are there really that many people who didn't know Slidell is in Louisiana? I guess I thought that was a given - must be a southern thing. I'll edit the title and story.

That's why I tell people I grew up around New Orleans. They wouldn't know where Mandeville is either. Smile

Now the guy in the photo, he from Slidell!

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Just use the asshat as gator bait!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post