SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pen recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pen recommendations Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Looking for a pen recommendation with these conditions:

uses .7mm refillable ink cartridges with refills being not too difficult/expensive to buy
metal body-looking for some weight as I feel it balances better
cap, the spring pens activate too easily in my pocket
<$30 if possible

Searched Amazon and didn't really come up with anything that fancied me.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$30?
Buy 4 & refills

Zebra 701

https://www.officesupply.com/o...sEAQYAiABEgKKN_D_BwE

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cross Calais... swivel open and close. No spring.
Scriveiner London makes a nice pull apart but you'll probably have to go $35 or so.

Posts: 657 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite reasonably priced refills are PILOT Pen G2 Gel Ink Refills For Rolling Ball Pens, Ultra Fine Point, 0.38mm. They also offer them in 0.5, 0.7 and 1.0.

I've had good luck with these inexpensive pens, available on Amazon:

SMOOTHERPRO Solid Brass Wide Grip Extra Weight Click Push Retractable Gel Pen Compatible with Pilot G2 Refill Stainless Steel Clip(PRG130NL) - This one is made of solid brass and is heavy - a briefcase or desk pen, not good for pocket carry.

SMOOTHERPRO Bolt Action Pen Compatible with Pilot G2 Refill Durable Stainless Steel Clip for EDC Use Signature in Office School Color Gray (TG206). This one is Aluminum and lightweight. Good for pocket carry.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
$30?
Buy 4 & refills

Zebra 701

https://www.officesupply.com/o...sEAQYAiABEgKKN_D_BwE

This! I use these a lot. I always wear shirts with pockets and I’ve always got a pocket notebook and the 701 pen on my shirt pocket. The 701 looks nice, hefty, reliable and unbeatable bargain IMO.

I also keep a bunch of Zebra 301 pens around. SAMS has 301’s in a 9 or 10 pack for about $11.00

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Sorry but I don’t want retractable pens.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Fisher space pen, they write in the rain too

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Meister by Point uses Parker refill I think

Tombow Zoom 505 also uses Parker refill

Pentel EnerGel is a metal retractable pen with a twist mechanism instead of clicky

Of course the Fisher Space pen is always a favorite too and is about $30.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for. I have two Montblanc pens over 15 years old. No trouble but expensive. Better than having the refill not work. The days of heating up the refill with a lighter are gone.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw your point about not retractable. Understood.

Check out the second pen I noted. It is a "bolt-action" - hard to imagine that it would easily change position in a pocket.

Here's one that uses a cap -- looks like it would work with the PILOT refill.

SMOOTHERPRO Wooden Ballpoint Pen Fancy Pen Set Smooth Writing for Men Women Writing Signature Executive Business Office Journaling (WBP01) - $13.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veni,vidi,Vici
Picture of Campusninja
posted Hide Post
Scriveiner ballpoint or rollerball?

Posts: 1260 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best pens are Lamy. They have a wide variety.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

this.

didn't see the non-retractable caveat

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7806 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've carried one clipped in my front pocket for a few years now. I don't do tons of writing with it, mostly notes and info off the phone, but it's small enough that I always have it with me.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

this.

didn't see the non-retractable caveat

I have several. I even hacked a Zebra 701 pen to fisher replacements.

With the caveat that the OP has said about no retractable pens-Fisher makes other styles.

I used mine as a sailor and as a cop. I have one next to me now. One in the truck and one in the drawer in the kitchen.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1703 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyman.co
I prefer clickie pens for work purposes. But they make a twist as well.

I use the pilot g2 refills. Just take out the spacer and swap the spring thats included. They run around 35-40 bucks

Posts: 42 | Location: NY | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want an extremely smooth writing pen then I highly suggest looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...product_details&th=1

I did a ton of research and these pens are very highly regarded among the pens snobs out there because of how smooth they are. Pack of 12 for $20 ain’t too bad either. You can get them in .5mm and .7mm as well as other colors.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post