SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Selling to someone out of state
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling to someone out of state Login/Join 
posted
A friend of mine and I had a discussion the other day about selling a firearm to an individual who was from out of state.

Is it legal for me to sell my pistol to someone from another state?

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure. You just need to ship it (or drop it off) to an FFL in his state. He will then do the transfer at that FFL.

Posts: 652 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
As long as it goes through an FFL

Posts: 5346 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about "face to face" without FFL

_________

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
What about "face to face" without FFL

It is a federal crime to transfer a firearm directly to a resident of another state.

It may also be a state crime in both jurisdictions (e.g., in states with "universal background checks").

You do not want to do this.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31473 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought.....

Thanks for the verification!!!

_________

Henry Ford

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

As long as it goes through an FFL
Yes, and the FFL has to be based in the same state as the buyer. It does not have to be shipped to that FFL; the seller can physically give it to the FFL, who will then transfer it to the buyer.
Easiest way to do a "sort of" face-to-face is for the seller and buyer to meet at an FFL in the buyer's state and do the transaction with the FFL acting as the middle-man.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There’s a difference between residing in a State and being a resident of a State.

Federal law requires that you both reside in the same State. For example, my uncle is a Michigan resident while I’m a Florida resident. It’s legal, federally, for us to transfer firearms between each other when we are both in Florida or Michigan because we actually live/reside in both states. We have houses or condos in both states that we live in for months at a time.

Same thing for my brother and me when we are in Michigan for the summer. He’s a Tennessee resident, but has a house in Michigan. While we are both in Michigan for the summer, we can transfer firearms between ourselves under federal law. Michigan law is a different story, though.

“May a person who resides in one state and owns property in another state purchase a firearm in either state?

If a person maintains a home in two states and resides in both states for certain periods of the year, they may, during the period of time they actually reside in a particular state, purchase a firearm in that state. However, simply owning property in another state does not alone qualify." ATF link

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would read this:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...r-firearms-under-gca

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of their state, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. There may be state laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact their State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible state or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of state, the firearm must be shipped to a federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s state of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any state for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if they do not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any state. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

Posts: 12730 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
From 27 CFR § 478.11 - Meaning of terms:

State of residence

“Example 2.
A maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.“

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just go through an FFL and don't worry about splitting hairs with definitions and other bullshit .

Posts: 4068 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Just go through an FFL and don't worry about splitting hairs with definitions and other bullshit .

Yup. Folks making things complicated, when it doesn't need to be in this case. Guy is from another state. Ship the damn thing to his FFL. Whatever happens in the other end is not your concern.

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post