SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Strong smell of gas inside 2003 Honda Civic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strong smell of gas inside 2003 Honda Civic Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
I'm thinking that it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZCTOc78sSU&t=15s

Due to work, I can't start taking stuff apart until this weekend.

No changes in driving characteristics, no check engine light, no obvious signs of fuel leaking.

Question:

the car is 16 years old with 189k on it. Can I use silicone to seal it or should I just replace the entire cap? Not really trying to spend too much money on a 16 year old car.

Anything else I should look at first? Maybe the gas cap?

Any suggestions/advice are appreciated.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do not fool around with something like this. Get a mechanic to check it out.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got an 02 Civic Si. I'm assuming it's similar in the sense that the fuel pump is accessible under the rear seat cushion. Any smell of fuel in the engine compartment? Does the manual show an O-ring between the cap and fuel pump? Has the car always been stored outside (hot temps etc)?

I wouldn't wait to this weekend. Two 10mm bolts to remove the rear seat cushion and do a quick inspection. I'd replace the entire fuel pump at this point if you've got to remove it. Will silicone hold up to gasoline? I guess it can't hurt to apply silicone for a quick fix to see if that cures the vapors.

As for the Youtube video, that seems like a lot of work to create a tool that probably already exists. Check Autozone etc for tool loan.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wait to fix it for sure.

I mean what could go wrong with gas leaking in an automobile?

It's not like it's aa fire or health hazard like your kids old GoGurt tube or apple core. Wink

<strong smell of sarcasm>

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sure - hold off. Avoid smoking in the car.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I’ll take care of it Saturday morning. Have school tomorrow night and work Friday. I’m not a stranger to turning wrenches. Might just do a quick fix and order the part online. Was really trying to get this car to next year after we move into our home.

No smell of fumes while I’m parked which leads me to believe it’s minor. Went into the garage today and smelled the gas. Immediately moved the car outside. Tank is only half now and will keep it around that level until I fix it for good. Fortunately, my drive to work is down to 20 miles round trip.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will silicone hold up to gasoline?

Some will and some most certainly will not. Make sure you get the right kind.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
...leads me to believe it’s minor.

There's nothing minor about a gas leak.

Posts: 11021 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Sure - hold off. Avoid smoking in the car.

Why chicken out like that?

Light 'em if you got 'em!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Why chicken out like that?

Light 'em if you got 'em!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where is the meme??? I am confused.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Even if silicone sealant didn't dissolve in gasoline, there is no fuel sealing application where its use is ever appropriate. Put that out of your mind.

I doubt if a strong smell inside just comes from a loose or even missing gas cap, but on the other hand, gas caps are cheap. I'd check for a leaking fuel line under the hood or something. Have you lived anywhere other than Florida or El Paso where a car is subject to rust? A steel fuel line might be rusted through underneath. Another possibility is a fuel line or even pump on top of the gas tank. Any gas running down the sides of it?

Posts: 28009 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I would drive it from outside of the car, if you could, you know, rig up some cables to the gas pedal and steering wheel and shit.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107744 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or let your cat drive maybe? They are impervious to the smell of gasoline.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And they run fast and stay right on that hairy err furry edge of the fireball when all goes wrong. Looks really cool if you catch it with one of those new HD slo-mo phones.

Posts: 107744 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I would drive it from outside of the car, if you could, you know, rig up some cables to the gas pedal and steering wheel and shit.

Maybe stick a chair up on the roof? Big Grin

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would not use silicone. Fix the problem correctly.
Look at every part of the fuel system that you can see, from the tank to the engine area. Fuel will evaporate, and soon if the nearby parts are hot or even warm. You will usually see some sort of a stain or residue even after it's evaporated. It doesn't take much to make a smell. If the problem is the pump, as shown in the video, there should be some stains or even signs of fuel leakage along the sides or bottom of the tank that you should see from the bottom.

Park it outside until you fix the problem and preferably away from other cars when in a public parking area.

I watched the video. Unlike that guy, try to use up as much of the gas as you can before you do this. Have a can of two of brake cleaner and a roll of paper towels to clean up around the top before removing the pump. You don't want to get the dirt into the tank or under any part of the gasket. DO NOT use a shop vacuum to clean up around the top of the tank, the motor makes sparks inside and the fumes will go off.

You probably don't have the tools to fabricate the ring removal tool like the guy in the video. Two large and long screwdrivers or pry bars, crossed like an X and engaged on the ribs of the retaining ring should work fine to unscrew it.

Posts: 9547 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
the car is 16 years old with 189k on it. Can I use silicone to seal it or should I just replace the entire cap? Not really trying to spend too much money on a 16 year old car.

I drive old cars,and have had to take gas cap off clean well with dish soap and water.
Then use vasoline on the rubber O ring .makes a good seal and warning light goes off.
I don't think its the cap with vapors in cabin.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Where is the fuel filter on this car? I once had a leaking fuel filter under the hood...made the car smell like gasoline.

Posts: 1976 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 2002 Subaru AWD with a lot of miles on it. Last winter during extended cold weather events, a raw gas smell would makes its presence known.

It turned out to be a very short piece of rubber tubing with spring loaded clamps on each end. Age and engine heat had taken its toll on both hose and very small clamps. A new 2 inch piece of hose and a couple of new screw tightened clamps = no more raw fuel smell.

It could be a very simple solution.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Onion rings. Just say’n.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post